How good is Cincy?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Cincy will swarming on us like fire ants just like Utah did in 2008. We had our heart ripped out by Florida after being #1 most of the year. This time we are playing for a BCS Championship. If Cincy played in the SEC West they would be no better than 8-4 and be left behind.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I am concerned about Cincinnati. I think they have a very good team and a very good coach. They also have a very good RB who will try to prove that he’s a great RB. Only wish he’d stayed at Bama. I think they also have a very good QB.

Being a big underdog, the Bearkats are going to try to prove they belong in the CFP. I would not be shocked if they beat Bama and the Michigan/UGA winner. Here’s hoping that does NOT happen.

What will the media be saying if Cincy wins the NC?
I would be flabbergasted if they beat Bama, much less win the NC. People are giving them way too much credit.
Their defense is good but it has a weakness - but their offense is run oriented (remind you of anyone?) and they don’t protect Ridder well. Yeah, I know…but who do you think has better defenses, the teams we played or the teams they played?
If the same team that beat Georgia shows up this game is over by halftime. If not, by the end of the 3rd quarter. Cincy ain’t winning this game.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
This is the playoffs, fellas. Playoff teams are good. Cinci is a good team, maybe the best #4 candidate. They just aren't going to beat Alabama but no #4 candidate this year has much chance. I am going to be chipped, dipped, and beer'd, in my easy chair, to watch what will be a comfortable win. I do not expect to get salsa on my shirt.

Reactions: Nolan

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Honestly..I have no clue as too how good they are..

All I know is when Bana has all their ducks lined up in a row heading into a game, this team has played as good as any collegiate team in my lifetime & are truly unbeatable when we play as good as we're capable of playing..

We'd give some NFL teams hell beating us if we played any..

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
They did beat Notre Dame this year, but that was the only legit team on their schedule.
And then you have to consider Notre Dame always looks like a paper tiger when they get in a championship or playoff situation, so is beating them that impressive? I guess it shows they can beat a top 10 type team, but it's not super impressive.

I think Cincy has their strengths, and wont be a pushover, but can they really hang with a talented Bama team?
I just don't think they can use their normal game plan against us.
I don't see them just lining up and running it with much success ,and if they get pass happy, the pass rush will probably eat them up.
On defense, can they stop our run without loading the box?
Can they stop our passing game if they focus too much on the run?
It will be interesting to see how they play us, their best shot is probably to do something out of the ordinary and surprise us.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I think we've seen this before. TCU, Cincinnati, Boise St., Louisville, and notably Utah...

There is threshold for what a non-power conference team can do and it's fairly high. They are good enough to beat a top ten team and that's the hallmark this sort of program. They are not good enough to win a championship without a tremendous amount of luck, or to beat a top 4 team without help really.

For example, the 2010 TCU team was undefeated. They met a one loss Wisconsin team that really wasn't that great to begin with, but they won by 2 points in a game in which they had 84 less yards of offense and held the ball 8 less minutes (Wisconsin's quarterback was pretty bad completing only 12 passes for 159 yards to go along with negative rushing stats).

That's the sort of game these teams can win. We know about the famous Boise State victory over #7 Oklahoma by one point. Obviously Oklahoma did not play their best game. Ironically one of the more lopsided of these sort of games was the 2009 Sugar Bowl where Alabama clearly did not want to be there and Utah took advantage. JPW was pretty bad in that game, throwing 2 interceptions and Alabama's offense didn't show up, gaining only 208 yards. I doubt that happens this game.
IMO, JPW did a great job not to throw 5 ints. Bama's offensive strength that year was running behind a great left side of the OL. Well, Andre Smith, LT, was out and Mike Johnson, LG, was injured early, so the left side was gone. Bama could no longer run the ball and they were on top of JPW almost by the time the snap got to him. There has been complaints about play calling this year - some justified, some not - but the play calling was truly bad in that one. CJM never rolled JPW out or did anything else to help in order that he might have an outside chance of completing a pass. But like this year at times, the primary problem was a poorly performing OL; in this case if was because of injury.

The D was late to the game, giving up 21 points in the first 10 minutes, then held them to 10 for the next 50. Javy's punt returns were about the only thing that Bama could do to move the ball - as usual, especially when Bama needed it - he was spectacular. (Along with Blake Sims, maybe my two favorite Bama players over many decades of watching Alabama football.)

Utah was just better than Alabama that day but IMO, they are a step above what Cinn is (though kudos to them for their great year and almost beating UGA (though depleted) last year), and this Bama is leaps and bounds better than the 2008 Bama team.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I would be flabbergasted if they beat Bama, much less win the NC. People are giving them way too much credit.
Their defense is good but it has a weakness - but their offense is run oriented (remind you of anyone?) and they don’t protect Ridder well. Yeah, I know…but who do you think has better defenses, the teams we played or the teams they played?
If the same team that beat Georgia shows up this game is over by halftime. If not, by the end of the 3rd quarter. Cincy ain’t winning this game.
Personally I`m not as concerned about our D. If our O line has had the epiphany that I hope it has, practices with purpose and a sense of " Look at what we can do when we put our minds to it.", I think we can be OK.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
IMO, JPW did a great job not to throw 5 ints
I wasn't a JPW hater calling for GMac to replace him or anything like that. I also know that in that game Alabama had some factors working against them.

But JPW was always a very pedestrian player. I respect him coming to Alabama during a down time and I appreciate he did hold value to the team. But as far as quarterbacks go he was the worst full time starter at QB under Saban at Alabama by a noticeable margin.

He threw for 2,273 yards, 10 TDs, and 8 INTs that year, this from a mult-year starter. This is with Julio Jones to throw to. Gmac, not exactly an elite QB either put up 17 TDs and 4 INTs as a first year starter the next year. JPW was at best a game manager.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
We know Cincy is a good team but to what level, we will find out on NYE.

The one thing I am sure if is that when Bama is focused and ready to play, there are few---if any--- teams that can hang with Bama for 4 full quarters. So if Cincy is basing their game plan around the hope that Bama won't be focus or hungry come December 31, then they will lose. Cincinnati "wanted" Bama, well, in a couple of weeks they will need to put on their big boy pants and prove they are deserving of playing Bama or be proven to be fraud hiding behind false bravado.

When December 31 comes Cincinnati, you have two choices: 1. Step up or 2. Step aside.

Reactions: B1GTide

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
They did beat Notre Dame this year, but that was the only legit team on their schedule.
And then you have to consider Notre Dame always looks like a paper tiger when they get in a championship or playoff situation, so is beating them that impressive? I guess it shows they can beat a top 10 type team, but it's not super impressive.
Yes, everyone is basing this off the Notre Dame win. So keep in mind that Notre Dame played ONE (post season) ranked team all year, CINCY, and lost. Notre Dame should not be #5, and should not be considered so strongly for Cincy's ranking. Heck, half the SEC teams would be undefeated if they had Notre Dame's schedule!!

Reactions: 92tide

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I’d rather our team prep for Cincinnati like they were the number 4 team and find out they weren’t that good rather than assume their not the 4th best team and find out they are.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.