Link: How Quadrant Records Work (Net Rankings)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Interesting — so if you beat a team that’s lightly regarded early in the season — let’s say Quad 3 for the sake of discussion — but that team goes on a tear and ends being a Quad 1 team, your NET ranking goes up parallel with the improvement of that team.

So our win over Liberty is gaining value, but our win over North Carolina when they were ranked #1 is losing value.

I’m not sure if I like that or not. The age old debate of the perception of your opponent when you played vs. the end of the season. I guess it depends on what caused the change, especially if the opponent gets worse as the season goes on.

As in, was the team just overrated, or did they lose one or more star players to injury? If just overrated, the value of the win should decline. But if you played them when they had the stars who were later lost, the value of your win shouldn’t decline. Just my opinion, and I don’t know how you’d plug that into an algorithm.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Interesting — so if you beat a team that’s lightly regarded early in the season — let’s say Quad 3 for the sake of discussion — but that team goes on a tear and ends being a Quad 1 team, your NET ranking goes up parallel with the improvement of that team.

So our win over Liberty is gaining value, but our win over North Carolina when they were ranked #1 is losing value.

I’m not sure if I like that or not. The age old debate of the perception of your opponent when you played vs. the end of the season. I guess it depends on what caused the change, especially if the opponent gets worse as the season goes on.

As in, was the team just overrated, or did they lose one or more star players to injury? If just overrated, the value of the win should decline. But if you played them when they had the stars who were later lost, the value of your win shouldn’t decline. Just my opinion, and I don’t know how you’d plug that into an algorithm.
As long as UNC stays Top 50 it will stay a Q1 win.

• Thank You
Reactions: 4Q Basket Case

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I guess the system they use averages out things like playing an overrated team and one that gets a star player back or has a slow start.

No system is going to be perfect and trying to balance out all the variables may be impossible to quantify. Just win and let the chips fall where they may.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.