How's the weather there?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
True but if the inside temp goes down enough, turn it off before it bursts. Either way you dont have water but at least if you turn it off you will have no damage.
Yeah, that's not what's happening in most of these cases though - these are water lines in exterior walls or attic space that aren't well insulated as it's generally not needed.

As B1G alluded above, I expect with climate change we'll see codes altered even down in the warmer states.

Reactions: B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
But if there is significant air in those lines, they may freeze but will not burst.
Yeah, the physics is easy, but again - people live in these homes. As soon as they open a valve the pressurized water floods the line and pushes all the air out.

You can't do what you're saying if you live in the house unless you want to not have running water, which is, well, an interesting option...

Reactions: B1GTide

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Quick lesson for those not familiar with how radar indicators on tornadoes work.

On the first screen grab I posted above, the Brookwood tornado, you can see the classic hook echo return on the reflectivity up top. That is a strong indicator of a tornado, but doesn't tell the whole story. You can have a hook echo with no tornado or a tornado with no hook echo.

Below that on the same screen grab is what's called velocity, and that's what the automated algorithms and meteorologists pay attention to. Red indicates stuff moving away from the radar, while green indicates stuff moving toward it. The brighter the colors are, the faster the stuff causing the return is moving. When you have red and green right against each other and very bright, you have a couplet, a strong indicator of rapid rotation and a far better indicator of a tornado than regular old reflectivity.

Reactions: dtgreg

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
At this writing (5:45 PM +/-, Tuscaloosa time), Tuscaloosa proper had a couple of scares, but nothing but wind and rain so far.

Not so in Brookwood, a rural, coal-mining area about 10 miles NE of Tuscaloosa. Some damage there. It’s not a heavily populated area, but if you’re in the path, the fact that you don’t have many neighbors isn’t a huge help.

Also some damage between Moundville and Tuscaloosa.

Both of those came in the first cell.

The second cell looked bad on the radar, but didn’t produce a tornado. At least, not in Tuscaloosa. Went right over Alberta City, which had heavy, nasty damage from 4/27/2011, so I know it had to be scary for them. But to my knowledge, it was just wind and rain this time.

Mrs. Basket Case, the cats, and I have been watching James Spann all afternoon. And yes, he took off his coat a long time ago.

Battening down for the next wave which looks to be in the neighborhood of 6:30 to 7:30 CT.

Update @ 6:50 CT: Looks like the worst is past Tuscaloosa. Still a second line coming, but now looks like an hour or so out. Difference is, it’s now expected to be straight-line wind, rain and maybe severe thunderstorms. But no longer tornadoes, hail, etc.

Really, the biggest threat now is flooding. We’ve already had 2 inches since about 2PM, and more to come. On top of that, the ground is already moist from a wet winter.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dtgreg and B1GTide

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Pro Tier One here on my iPhone. With the $20 upfront and $10 yearly subscription thereafter, it is money well spent indeed. My wife usually rolls her eyes and leaves the room she can tell I'm glued to it. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: AUDub

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.