Human Aspects of COVID - Part 2

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
So my mother-in-law only ever had minor symptoms. Had her follow up test & still tested positive but was told she no longer needs to quarantine? Is that the new normal?

I know on average people only shed transmissible virus for 7-10 days or so but I do remember reading stories over the last year of people shedding active virus for much longer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So my mother-in-law only ever had minor symptoms. Had her follow up test & still tested positive but was told she no longer needs to quarantine? Is that the new normal?

I know on average people only shed transmissible virus for 7-10 days or so but I do remember reading stories over the last year of people shedding active virus for much longer.
That is in question. Some later studies seem to indicate that fragments of the virus, but not whole, infectious viruses, are shed...

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States

If she's retired, try to talk her into staying isolated if you can. Arrange for porch drops etc.
The guidance changes, but if you can talk her into it, the most safe and most conservative way to go about it would likely be best.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
If she's retired, try to talk her into staying isolated if you can. Arrange for porch drops etc.
The guidance changes, but if you can talk her into it, the most safe and most conservative way to go about it would likely be best.
She works at a bank in Newnan, GA which is where she got infected. Not sure how much say she’ll have in returning to work or not if she’s being told she no longer has to quarantine.

• Sad
Reactions: MobtownK

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Fourteenessee
Another friend, church member, patient has been admitted to the hospital with Covid. He's a pharmacist in his 70's, a heavy smoker, and he has recently finished chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer.

Talk about high risk.

On a different note, Tennessee has had 20,355 new Covid cases in the last two days. There is still no state wide mask mandate. Our governor just does not understand.

Co-worker is back at work after testing positive and enduring COVID full-blown. He weathered it pretty well. Seemed like a bad case of the flu. But something interesting, even though he tested positive, he never ran a fever.

In other news, I have heard that I am considered in the "essential workers" category. Thus, will get access to the vaccine a little sooner.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Co-worker is back at work after testing positive and enduring COVID full-blown. He weathered it pretty well. Seemed like a bad case of the flu. But something interesting, even though he tested positive, he never ran a fever.

In other news, I have heard that I am considered in the "essential workers" category. Thus, will get access to the vaccine a little sooner.
how are they defining essential worker? my wife and i actually fell into that category back in the spring due to the industry we work in.

Last edited:

Latest threads