Human Aspects of COVID - Part 2

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, today I’m told I have shingles that have flared up most probably due to the stress of over doing it.

Took me getting sick to get 3 days off work and first call I get is one saying I can’t come back regardless until employee health clears me.

Painful, irritating....kinda like me I guess.

I’ll be fine. But if I’m out a bit from here it’s resting even though TF keeps me sane.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well, today I’m told I have shingles that have flared up most probably due to the stress of over doing it.

Took me getting sick to get 3 days off work and first call I get is one saying I can’t come back regardless until employee health clears me.

I’ll be fine. But if I’m out a bit from here it’s resting even though TF keeps me sane.
hope you get better soon

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

No fun at all. I hope you feel better soon.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm sorry, Bill. Did you have the Shingrix?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm sorry, Bill. Did you have the Shingrix?
No, I didn't.

Started with me not knowing about it. Then - remember - right after I turned 50, we first had the end of the year winter break followed by the Covid problem. I don't think anyone (and certainly not me) thought about it because based on my family history, I was focused on colon cancer potential PLUS that fascitis/osteoarthritis back issue mandating chiropractic care. Despite the fact it actually was working for me, the VA didn't want to renew it.

Then Covid hit, everywhere was closed, and I gave it no thought tbh with you. Neither did anyone else.

I was starting to really fear glioblastoma, and I hope I don't sound paranoid there. But I had a week or so of headaches I ASSUMED was sinus headaches with the high pollen count here. Then it suddenly felt like a nerve problem going from my scalp down to my fingers. Then my lymph nodes swelled up behind my ear and on the left throat area. Our family's cancer history, well, it's probably going to be what gets me someday (although Dad is 75 and never had one, although he does have a long history of diverticulosis). So after 51, I've gotten a little more......paranoid if you will on some symptoms of things, but I can't just go running to the doctor either.

Anyway.....on Friday night I had what felt like a little zit right at the entry of the ear canal where the hair occasionally comes out (I know, it disgusts me, too). I put some Neosporin on it and it hurt WORSE the next day. I was dosing on Alleve. The killer was it felt like I had a rash or blisters on the back of my ear and down my neck....right where that wire on my mask moves and it was scraping it all day on Monday.

I couldn't take anymore, so I went to the Urgent Care across the street. The moment I gave her my symptoms and before she even touched me, the nurse said, "Based on what you're saying, I'm suspecting you've got.....(looks in my ear)....yep, you've got shingles."

My first words were, "Well, at least it's NAWT a TWO-muh."

Three doses of steroids a day, one pill of Valtrex daily. So nice of my boss to call and say, "Well, I don't care what the clinic told you, you have to have your lesions inspected by employee health before you can come back to work on Friday."

Rested a bunch today, slept pretty good, pain in the welts is less, feel a bit better.

Nurse asked me if I was stressed, and I said, "I run Covid testing during a pandemic. All I'm trying to do is get to April 16th for some time off," to which she said, "Well, you're gonna be off before then."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No, I didn't.

Started with me not knowing about it. Then - remember - right after I turned 50, we first had the end of the year winter break followed by the Covid problem. I don't think anyone (and certainly not me) thought about it because based on my family history, I was focused on colon cancer potential PLUS that fascitis/osteoarthritis back issue mandating chiropractic care. Despite the fact it actually was working for me, the VA didn't want to renew it.

Then Covid hit, everywhere was closed, and I gave it no thought tbh with you. Neither did anyone else.

I was starting to really fear glioblastoma, and I hope I don't sound paranoid there. But I had a week or so of headaches I ASSUMED was sinus headaches with the high pollen count here. Then it suddenly felt like a nerve problem going from my scalp down to my fingers. Then my lymph nodes swelled up behind my ear and on the left throat area. Our family's cancer history, well, it's probably going to be what gets me someday (although Dad is 75 and never had one, although he does have a long history of diverticulosis). So after 51, I've gotten a little more......paranoid if you will on some symptoms of things, but I can't just go running to the doctor either.

Anyway.....on Friday night I had what felt like a little zit right at the entry of the ear canal where the hair occasionally comes out (I know, it disgusts me, too). I put some Neosporin on it and it hurt WORSE the next day. I was dosing on Alleve. The killer was it felt like I had a rash or blisters on the back of my ear and down my neck....right where that wire on my mask moves and it was scraping it all day on Monday.

I couldn't take anymore, so I went to the Urgent Care across the street. The moment I gave her my symptoms and before she even touched me, the nurse said, "Based on what you're saying, I'm suspecting you've got.....(looks in my ear)....yep, you've got shingles."

My first words were, "Well, at least it's NAWT a TWO-muh."

Three doses of steroids a day, one pill of Valtrex daily. So nice of my boss to call and say, "Well, I don't care what the clinic told you, you have to have your lesions inspected by employee health before you can come back to work on Friday."

Rested a bunch today, slept pretty good, pain in the welts is less, feel a bit better.

Nurse asked me if I was stressed, and I said, "I run Covid testing during a pandemic. All I'm trying to do is get to April 16th for some time off," to which she said, "Well, you're gonna be off before then."
When you recover, get the Shingrix. It's possible to get them chronically. Both my SILs do. Surprisingly, my wife never has. We've both had the Shingrix now...

• Thank You
Reactions: selmaborntidefan

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I suspect that the mental health aspects are less tied to physical damage done by the virus. I think they are more likely tied to the stress of the illness, financial issues, etc. brought on by having to live through a global pandemic that impacted them directly. I also suspect that a great many people who have not been infected by the virus suffer the same mental illnesses right now.

• Thank You
Reactions: MobtownK

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I suspect that the mental health aspects are less tied to physical damage done by the virus. I think they are more likely tied to the stress of the illness, financial issues, etc. brought on by having to live through a global pandemic that impacted them directly. I also suspect that a great many people who have not been infected by the virus suffer the same mental illnesses right now.
I suspect that by and large you are correct, but I'm open to the neurological and psychological being connected, as we know they often are.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I suspect that by and large you are correct, but I'm open to the neurological and psychological being connected, as we know they often are.
Again - guessing - I think that a small percentage are probably tied to physical damage for some people. But I know many people, including myself, who suffered from various mental issues over the last year - people who were not infected. It stands to reason that those who were infected and symptomatic would be even more likely to suffer from things like anxiety.

Reactions: MobtownK

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Again - guessing - I think that a small percentage are probably tied to physical damage for some people. But I know many people, including myself, who suffered from various mental issues over the last year - people who were not infected. It stands to reason that those who were infected and symptomatic would be even more likely to suffer from things like anxiety.
There is some scientific evidence of viral activity in the brain itself. It will take a lot more research before a physical cause can be ruled out...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My daughter's oncologist is very anxious to get the vaccines approved for children. The people at St Jude are very cautious. You must wear a mask at ALL times and you are screened daily. There is a mandatory testing once a week for everyone in the hospital... staff, patients, and visitors. After the first five days, only one parent at a time can be in the building.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.