Human Aspects of COVID - Part 2

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My first thought too. Better than the alternative...
I don't know...I've had several people with heart, lung, kidney transplants...and the anti-rejection drugs work havoc on your immune system. One man's new kidney worked great...but he died 5 years later at 62 from squamous cell cancer due to no immune system. You do get a few years...but it's still not like the original equipment.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I don't know...I've had several people with heart, lung, kidney transplants...and the anti-rejection drugs work havoc on your immune system. One man's new kidney worked great...but he died 5 years later at 62 from squamous cell cancer due to no immune system. You do get a few years...but it's still not like the original equipment.
One of my best friends, Johnny Stewart, had a heart and kidney transplant. He lived another twelve years and died at 59. He was very thankful for the "bonus time."

Funny story, I met Johnny when I was playing in a benefit show for the American Cancer Society in Fayetteville. He was a huge black man, about 6'4" and maybe 350. I was playing guitar and saxophone in a band of eight musicians. Two days before the show, someone had asked Johnny to come play sax for the show. I was offended because I had worked out a bunch of parts with the keyboard player who was playing synth brass. Then I heard Johnny play. He had been a touring musician with James Brown, Little Richard, and Tyrone Davis ("Turn Back the Hands of Time"). I immediately invited Johnny to come stand by me; I would just tell him when to play. The dude was so soulful. He was as good as anybody's saxophone player.

The funny part is my sister was an algebra teacher at the school where the show was to be staged. She had told all of her students to come watch her brother play saxophone in the Cancer Show. Of course she didn't realize that I was now only playing guitar in the show. We all had a big laugh after the first show when my sister told Johnny what she had told her students. From then on, Johnny always called her Sister, and she called him Brother.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of my best friends, Johnny Stewart, had a heart and kidney transplant. He lived another twelve years and died at 59. He was very thankful for the "bonus time."

Funny story, I met Johnny when I was playing in a benefit show for the American Cancer Society in Fayetteville. He was a huge black man, about 6'4" and maybe 350. I was playing guitar and saxophone in a band of eight musicians. Two days before the show, someone had asked Johnny to come play sax for the show. I was offended because I had worked out a bunch of parts with the keyboard player who was playing synth brass. Then I heard Johnny play. He had been a touring musician with James Brown, Little Richard, and Tyrone Davis ("Turn Back the Hands of Time"). I immediately invited Johnny to come stand by me; I would just tell him when to play. The dude was so soulful. He was as good as anybody's saxophone player.

The funny part is my sister was an algebra teacher at the school where the show was to be staged. She had told all of her students to come watch her brother play saxophone in the Cancer Show. Of course she didn't realize that I was now only playing guitar in the show. We all had a big laugh after the first show when my sister told Johnny what she had told her students. From then on, Johnny always called her Sister, and she called him Brother.
I have a black "sister." To her kids, I'm "Uncle Earle"... :)

Reactions: Go Bama

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
  • Sad
Reactions: B1GTide

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Just in time for spring break. Alabama’s ends Friday and there is no peep from the governor’s office.
I'm surprised that there is still no word. Up until now, the extensions have been announced well in advance of the expiration date

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
I'm surprised that there is still no word. Up until now, the extensions have been announced well in advance of the expiration date
I think the last several were announced on Monday or Tuesday the week it was due to expire. She said they will announce the future of the mask mandate "soon." The fact that it's now Wednesday makes me think they're going to let it expire. Also, her spokesperson made a comment that the governor "prefers personal responsibility to government mandates."

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Here we go

Honestly, I can't wait for all drugs to be legalized so everyone can make a personal choice. I'm less enthusiastic about kids deciding to wear their seatbelts or not, but hey...gotta remain consistent, amirite?!!! Oh, those appliances...safety measures built in only if you want them. Cars? Who needs safety?! Forget those life-saving crumple zones. Speed limits? Who the hell are you to tell me how fast to drive? Really. Who do you think you are? If I want to go 100 mph through a school zone I have the right, right? Isn't that what we are saying here? It doesn't matter who you endanger with your actions...not your problem.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Didgeridoo? Not easy at all. I tried, and failed spectacularly.
"Play" sort of. I was a bit surprised anything came out, so I just kind of made up a melody. It was like playing a huge bugle - vary the pitch exactly the same way. No one else had any luck getting anything out of it but I suspect there weren't any more former trumpet players...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.