Link: Hurricane Laura - lest we forget its that time of year

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
In college, I rode a few out on the island myself. When you're a tropical meteorology student, you think you're a big deal when it comes to storms. 😜
The pressure drop gets to my husband - he went to sleep. So a few of us decided to go walking the beach during.... we got sandblasted 😬 We still made fun of the chicks doing yoga in the surf for instagram... I love storms, but not an idiot.

Reactions: CrimsonMapper

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Everyone doing OK??

Here around Mobile it's been raining really hard for hours and the wind has picked up but nothing to be concerned with yet.

Last I looked Sally has strengthened back up to a Cat 2 with 100 MPH+ Winds and will hit between Gulfport, MS and Pensacola, FL sometime late today.

It worrisome that it's moving so slowly and gaining speed. This could do some real damage on the Gulf Coast if the forecast doesn't improve.

I'm pretty much trapped at my Dad's house as he on Home Hospice now..... I'm REALLY worried about a Power Outage. I only have 2 Big O2 tanks and 3-4 Little travel Tanks.

Please keep my Dad in your thoughts and I hope everyone who has decided to ride it out is safe and sound too.

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
My Dad has some decent damage to his house. Oak limb damaged the roof. Siding blown off the house. Multiple shingles blown off. My uncle lives east of Robertsdale has at least a dozen large trees down on his property and roof damage.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Everyone doing OK??

Here around Mobile it's been raining really hard for hours and the wind has picked up but nothing to be concerned with yet.

Last I looked Sally has strengthened back up to a Cat 2 with 100 MPH+ Winds and will hit between Gulfport, MS and Pensacola, FL sometime late today.

It worrisome that it's moving so slowly and gaining speed. This could do some real damage on the Gulf Coast if the forecast doesn't improve.

I'm pretty much trapped at my Dad's house as he on Home Hospice now..... I'm REALLY worried about a Power Outage. I only have 2 Big O2 tanks and 3-4 Little travel Tanks.

Please keep my Dad in your thoughts and I hope everyone who has decided to ride it out is safe and sound too.
Are you and your Dad ok? Wind really picked up around 4am. Have power yet?
We just got it a couple of hours ago.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Are you and your Dad ok? Wind really picked up around 4am. Have power yet?
We just got it a couple of hours ago.
We’re trying to hang in there. We’ve been without power for 21 HOURS now.

I’ve tried contacting Alabama Power every which way. I’ve called, used the website report, and even replied to their Twitter updates.

All I’ve seen or heard in 20+ hours is ...
285EFAC8-0D93-4FD0-BE8E-E9BF1651835B.jpeg

Then they posted this gem of twitter
EE454469-29CB-42FC-AF44-5E492AE1B37A.jpeg

basically saying ‘Goodnight, See you again Tomorrow!!!’

My reply is underneath.... I STILL haven’t heard from them by any medium.

We’re both sitting here extremely anxious and frustrated.

I am glad to hear though that you and everyone else seems to be relatively okay.

The storm itself could have been much worse for sure.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
We’re trying to hang in there. We’ve been without power for 21 HOURS now.

I’ve tried contacting Alabama Power every which way. I’ve called, used the website report, and even replied to their Twitter updates.

All I’ve seen or heard in 20+ hours is ...
View attachment 10738

Then they posted this gem of twitter
View attachment 10739

basically saying ‘Goodnight, See you again Tomorrow!!!’

My reply is underneath.... I STILL haven’t heard from them by any medium.

We’re both sitting here extremely anxious and frustrated.

I am glad to hear though that you and everyone else seems to be relatively okay.

The storm itself could have been much worse for sure.
If you need anything, get in touch. I hope they restore it soon. Check your dms. Tried to find you on Twitter bc tidefans doesn't give me notifications.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Another Harvey type storm - slow moving. I don't expect another Harvey, which was a one in 27,000 year event. But we may get some pretty good flooding next week.

I've never been to Houston, but wasn't Harvey (like Katrina) made worse because of the levy and spillway systems? I know they've had bad effects from hurricanes in Florida for the same reasons.
Stay safe

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I've never been to Houston, but wasn't Harvey (like Katrina) made worse because of the levy and spillway systems?
No, it was because there was enough rainfall to cover the State of Maine 3 feet deep. There's no way to engineer a system that can handle that much rainfall.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.