Identity Theft Protection Needed?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I've never experienced this or known anyone who has...but I see these commercials regularly promoting protection against Identity Theft. I decided to use the collective wisdom of TF to get some answers to these questions:

My questions are simple:
1. We use the internet to pay bills, check accounts, etc. How vulnerable are we?
2. Has anyone here ever had this happen? How did it occur? Was it difficult costly and time consuming to repair?
3. What online practices do you use to avoid exposure to this?
4. Do you use any. of the major online services and if so, why?

Thanks...I figure I'm not the only person to have questions about this.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
1. When away from your wi-fi, never conduct any business over another wi-fi.
2. When purchasing online, use a service like Paypal or others to limit your exposure whenever possible. That way you limit additional exposure by not providing credit card info to another business.

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
1. When away from your wi-fi, never conduct any business over another wi-fi.
2. When purchasing online, use a service like Paypal or others to limit your exposure whenever possible. That way you limit additional exposure by not providing credit card info to another business.
These seem like good precautionary measures. Some other actions worth the effort. Search the four credit agencies, make sure the only actions are ones that you can verify are yours. If this turns out negative, put a credit freeze on the credit agencies until you need to unfreeze(yu apply for a loan, etc.)

My thoughts on theft protection. Back several years I was offered identity protection by my employer, Uncle Sam. I was skeptical about this thinking that nothing short of a new identity would be sufficient.

A month ago, while applying for a home equity line of credit, I found out that someone had stolen my financial identity, and used it to get a free Sprint account.

• Wow
Reactions: Padreruf

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You can freeze your credit for free with all three credit reporting agencies (TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax) - that will essentially stop anyone from stealing your identity and opening accounts you're liable for via your SS#. I keep all three frozen all the time, only unfreezing when I'm applying for something. Unlocking (unfreezing) each account is free, easy, and takes just a couple of minutes.

If you're using your phone or laptop outside of your own wifi without a secure VPN you're playing with fire. The chances of someone actually intercepting your data without a VPN is pretty slim for most people, but it's an inexpensive way to protect your digital data transmissions.

Also, use credit cards for purchases rather than debit cards - the issuing banks generally have more leverage wrt stolen card data purchases for credit cards compared to your debit card.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You can freeze your credit for free with all three credit reporting agencies (TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax) - that will essentially stop anyone from stealing your identity and opening accounts you're liable for via your SS#. I keep all three frozen all the time, only unfreezing when I'm applying for something. Unlocking (unfreezing) each account is free, easy, and takes just a couple of minutes.

If you're using your phone or laptop outside of your own wifi without a secure VPN you're playing with fire. The chances of someone actually intercepting your data without a VPN is pretty slim for most people, but it's an inexpensive way to protect your digital data transmissions.

Also, use credit cards for purchases rather than debit cards - the issuing banks generally have more leverage wrt stolen card data purchases for credit cards compared to your debit card.
This is spot on.

We had an identity theft scare several years ago. It turned out fine, and nothing bad actually happened, but it was sobering.

We immediately froze all our credit reports — as in nobody gets a credit report for any reason unless we say it’s OK. We don’t open new debt accounts, so I think we’ve unfrozen exactly once in over 10 years. We unfroze, Capital One pulled the reports, I verified they had what they needed, and I re-froze them, all within one business day. Cap One understood the situation entirely, and was really cooperative in that process.

The main thing is don’t give your SSN out to anyone other than those legally required to have it — banks, the IRS and other taxing authorities, insurance companies. Doctors’ offices are bad to ask for it, and I guess a lot of people give it out, but I never do.

And I like the idea of paying with PayPal. Yes, they have your credit card information and could get hacked. But your CCN is in only one place, and I promise you, they have otherworldly internal security. Plus, for reasons Crimsonaudio cites, if your CCN gets out, it’s not all that big of a deal.

Just keep in mind that there’s risk rolling out of bed in the morning. You can certainly minimize your exposure, but you can’t eliminate it altogether. Any institution can get hacked, and if anybody says they’re hack-proof, they’re lying.

Strangely, the biggest vulnerability is a function of being financially responsible — mortgage fraud.

The bad guys get an address and cross it against mortgage liens, which are public record. They find one that is mortgage free, and borrow from a lender that lends on property value alone at really low loan-to-value (LTV) — like less than 50%. These shylocks don’t even bother trying to pull a credit report. The bad guy says it’s a second home, so please send all correspondence to his (the bad guy’s) address.

Of course, they never make even the first payment. The real homeowner finds out only when served with foreclosure papers.

Now, it’s fraudulent debt, and the homeowner doesn’t legally owe anything, and the bad guy doesn’t own the property, so he didn’t have legal standing to pledge it in the first place. But proving all that is a monumental pain.

I don’t use any of the online services because my credit reports are frozen and have been for years. I also check my credit cards every day. I probably need to check liens on my house a couple times a year, but haven’t done that.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

I think I have posted this before but here's what I share with my students and also family:

Protect Your Credit
Given the many breaches of privacy information, it is imperative that you protect your credit and personal identification! This is a step-by-step quickguide to doing so. Click on the clark.com links to find out more!

1. FIRST, make sure you have UNIQUE AND SECURE passwords (see following post) for all of your online financial accounts!
    • Never (never, never, never, never, never, ever…) use the same password on multiple online accounts. N-E-V-E-R.
    • Get a Password Manager to help you manage this.
    • A secure password is one you could never remember!
    • Turn on Two-Factor Authentication everywhere possible. TwoFactorAuth.org is a website that keeps a running list of websites (and financial institutions) that use two-factor authentication.
  2. SECOND, setup a https://creditkarma.comaccount.
    • This allows you to monitor your credit and score.
    • You must do this before freezing your credit bureau accounts (or unfreeze, setup creditkarma, then refreeze).
  3. THIRD, freeze your credit bureau accounts (see details at bottom for each bureau).
    • You’ll want to also have your spouse & kids accounts frozen, too.
    • Each person will have a separate account.
    • NOTE: Freezing accounts doesn’t stop you from having or using credit or credit cards. It stops the ability of someone creating a new account in your name or accessing your credit information without your permission. You can temporarily unfreeze the account if you need to get a new loan, open a credit or bank account, etc. This is all in the details at clark.com below.
  4. Under 30 years old?? If you’re a millennial, you’ll want to read this, as well: http://clark.com/personal-finance-c...-worried-and-how-they-can-protect-themselves/
Sure, it will be an extra pain when applying for mortgages, loans, credit cards, bank accounts, etc. but you can unfreeze online or by phone pretty easily and protects against anyone who doesn’t have your pin # from opening any accounts in your name.

Here are some pretty good resources stepping you through exactly what to do ( clark.com is Clark Howard’s site ):

CREDIT BUREAUS

Here are the links & contact info where you can submit for a credit freeze with each of the four Credit Bureaus (but only AFTER setting up your creditkarma.com account) .

Equifax: 1-800-685-1111 / 1-800-349-9960
Experian: 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion: 1-888-909-8872
Innovis: 1-800-540-250
Social Engineering Attacks: Be warned, in the coming days/weeks, cyber attackers will take advantage of this incident and launch millions of phishing emails, phone calls or text messages trying to fool people. DO NOT click on any links in any emails even those that look like they’re coming from legit sources.

Last edited:

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Protect your login information!

As has been said by one well-known anti-hacker: The only secure password is the one you can’t remember!

In January 2019, the largest breach ever announced was one of over 750 million accounts where logins and passwords were made available to hackers on the internet. You should check to see if your email is included via Troy Hunt’s haveibeenpwned.com

Reading this linked article (troyhunt.com) should motivate you enough to change your login passwords to be UNIQUE FOR EVERY SITE you log into. See below.

In Fall 2017, it is almost a guarantee that your private credit info was exposed in the recent Equifax breach.

In 2016, it was reported that over 3 billion Yahoo, Tumblr, and Flickr accounts were hacked.

In Spring 2014, the”Heartbleed Bug” became known in mid-spring 2014. In summary, with all of the hacks that have taken place since, you should change ALL of your online passwords AND never (never, never, never, never, ever) use the same password for more than one login.

Each login should have a UNIQUE, random, complex password. If you can remember the password, you need a new password.

Look at the following links which also helped me understand the issue and develop a strategy for proceeding to change passwords. I recommend you use a password manager to do this.

Remember: you need to change ALL of the passwords they recommend you change – along with many more that aren’t in this list!

I have used LastPass and 1password, among others. To me, 1password is superior. Both are very good password managers that will actually help identify if (a) your password is weak, (b) if you’re password has been found in a hack, and (c) if you have used a password more than once.

Having a password manager creates a UNIQUE password for each site you are registered with.

NEVER use the same password on more than one site! Some password managers will even help you change the password INSIDE the web page you are logging into or registering through the password manager. Using a top-level password manager (like http://1password.com) also integrates with the haveibeenpwned site to let you know if any of your emails or passwords are in a hacked dataset.

Watch the “how to” videos on whatever manager you choose!

The following links give you some good background information on the 2014 Heartbleed issue AND the outline the tools and processes available for you to change all of your passwords IMMEDIATELY!
  1. What sites are affected by heartbleed?
  2. LastPass tells you which passwords are affected by Heartbleed
  3. List of good password managers
  4. Heartbleed affected passwords
  5. How passwords are cracked and what to not use
  6. Get organized: How to change all your passwords in 5 weeks (You’ll want to do much of this ASAP!!! and not wait 5 weeks) but this is a very good process to read about.

Finally, make sure you freeze and protect your credit and financial information. The link with details on how to do this smartly is also at the top of this page.

Protect yourself, your family, and your children!

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Summarizing my philosophy ...

1) Use credit cards to pay for just about anything that requires payment - and pay them off each and every month. This prevents someone from getting my cash card and draining my checking/savings. You have to make sure you can and will pay off the card if you use this strategy.

2) Turn on alerts on your card with relatively low amounts that alert when purchases happen over that amount (i.e. $100 , 250, 500 etc). The card companies are liable for any fraud.

3) I use a password manager to manage all my passwords. I have long & unique & complex passwords for every.single.one. of my 1000+ logins. I only remember my computer login pw/code but even then I use the secure fingerprint feature on my laptop.

4) I never click on a link in my email from a financial institution or a text that I get that says something like "Hi! It's Bank Independent. We see some weird activity on your account. Please click here to verify it was not you." Never.

5) Use your phone's hotspot (or get a hotspot device from your wireless company for pretty cheap) whenever you're out. Don't connect to Starbucks, McDonalds, Delta, etc. free or other public wifi in shops or airports.

6) check your accounts frequently to make sure no weird transactions are on your accounts. I use Quicken to download all financial transactions daily and evaluate. Weekly might work for others, but do it more than every few months!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Summarizing my philosophy ...

1) Use credit cards to pay for just about anything that requires payment - and pay them off each and every month. This prevents someone from getting my cash card and draining my checking/savings. You have to make sure you can and will pay off the card if you use this strategy.

2) Turn on alerts on your card with relatively low amounts that alert when purchases happen over that amount (i.e. $100 , 250, 500 etc). The card companies are liable for any fraud.

3) I use a password manager to manage all my passwords. I have long & unique & complex passwords for every.single.one. of my 1000+ logins. I only remember my computer login pw/code but even then I use the secure fingerprint feature on my laptop.

4) I never click on a link in my email from a financial institution or a text that I get that says something like "Hi! It's Bank Independent. We see some weird activity on your account. Please click here to verify it was not you." Never.

5) Use your phone's hotspot (or get a hotspot device from your wireless company for pretty cheap) whenever you're out. Don't connect to Starbucks, McDonalds, Delta, etc. free or other public wifi in shops or airports.

6) check your accounts frequently to make sure no weird transactions are on your accounts. I use Quicken to download all financial transactions daily and evaluate. Weekly might work for others, but do it more than every few months!
great advice. I would also add that any security questions, the answer should be wrong answers only.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Another general thought...If you have access to a lockbox, you can export all of your passwords and other info you have in your password manager out into a "flat file" (ie unencrypted) and put on a usb device and place in a lockbox at your bank. Also, print them out and put in there, as well. Especially if you're doing / thinking about estate planning this is a good idea, IMHO and let someone you trust know that you have a lockbox ... but don't tell them about the passwords. If you pass, this could be a huge help for dealing with online stuff for your beneficiaries or estate administrator.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf and oskie

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
one of my favorites that I no longer use was Reggenezrawhcs for mother's maiden name. I stopped using it when talking with an Amex rep that figured out what it meant.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
one of my favorites that I no longer use was Reggenezrawhcs for mother's maiden name. I stopped using it when talking with an Amex rep that figured out what it meant.

A quick look in the mirror would solve that one 😀

On a serious note, the benefit of using a password generator is to get rid of the "favorites" - and I think we probably all have used our "favorites".

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
A quick look in the mirror would solve that one 😀

On a serious note, the benefit of using a password generator is to get rid of the "favorites" - and I think we probably all have used our "favorites".
When I pronounced the name phonetically, people would ask what it was. I always said it was Dutch.

Reactions: oskie

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
When I pronounced the name phonetically, people would ask what it was. I always said it was Dutch.
I could manage Reggen, and ezra, but I would need help pro-nun-ciate-ing that last syllable; whcs - I'm lost without vowels 😀

Guess I'm not very phone-ticallysh :sneaky:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.