Illegal tackles...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This has been bothering me the last couple of weeks. Mac gets horse-collared right in front of the back judge - no flag. Last week, Najee gets his helmet ripped off twice with no flag. I maintain it's impossible to rip off a helmet without a grip on the facemask. Other than that, do you use the ear hole? I know officials are notoriously reluctant to call penalties on our opponents - the stats show it - but these blatant fouls in plain sight bother me. OTOH, they called OH twice on UGA, which must be some sort of record...

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
I remember YELLING very LOUDLY last week during the game againts bowl cut and the dawgs because of 2 instances of Najees helmet being ripped off.
I kind of rolled with it the first time after screaming facemask. More just trying to settle down and say its ok. We will prevail. The second time and no call I was over it. Thats twice and the refs acted as though they saw nothing at all.
I guess after the beat down it kind of left my head. Because I am shocked this hasn't already been brought up. Unless it was in the game thread which I could not partake in. And, if helmets are being ripped off by ear holes without having to grab the facemask..will something be done about it?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think it is illegal unless you get a finger in any of the holes, which I believe includes the neck hole in the back. I watched the replays and did not see fingers in any of the holes on those plays. Not saying that it shouldn't be against the rules - just not sure that it was/is.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think it is illegal unless you get a finger in any of the holes, which I believe includes the neck hole in the back. I watched the replays and did not see fingers in any of the holes on those plays. Not saying that it shouldn't be against the rules - just not sure that it was/is.
I just wonder how to get enough friction, brief though it may be, to generate that type of torque without it. I'll review also. I don't think there was any doubt about the horse collar tackle, though, not since the rule change...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just wonder how to get enough friction, brief though it may be, to generate that type of torque without it. I'll review also. I don't think there was any doubt about the horse collar tackle, though, not since the rule change...
Maybe his hair makes it easier to come off like that? Though it doesn't seem to impact other ball carriers with dreads, but we almost never see ball carriers tackled while in a headlock.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
I don't know that it is/isn't against the rules either. That is why I was wondering what do you do about it? Thanks for the clarification that upon replay there was no fingers in any helmet holes though.
Which does bring up the question, why/how are these helmets getting off of players heads without ripping at somewhere with some grip?

Reactions: B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't know that it is/isn't against the rules either. That is why I was wondering what do you do about it? Thanks for the clarification that upon replay there was no fingers in any helmet holes though.
Which does bring up the question, why/how are these helmets getting off of players heads without ripping at somewhere with some grip?
When I can, I'll look again. The incidental facemask is gone. Any brief contact with the facemask is illegal. You do not have to tackle by using the facemask. IDK how you can wrap your arm and hand around a helmet and rip it off with out using the facemask, at least partially...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When I can, I'll look again. The incidental facemask is gone. Any brief contact with the facemask is illegal. You do not have to tackle by using the facemask. IDK how you can wrap your arm and hand around a helmet and rip it off with out using the facemask, at least partially...
I watched the replay on the first one because I was absolutely certain that he got his fingers in the neck hole in the back of the helmet. But he didn't, and it wasn't even close. The second one didn't have as clear a view, but I didn't see anything.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If memory serves they were grabbing the back of the helmet and pulling. They did it a lot the whole game.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
NCAA rule is 9-1-8(b) and also covers any helmet opening.

b) No player shall grasp and then twist, turn or pull the face mask, chin strap or any helmet opening of an opponent. It is not a foul if the face mask, chin strap or helmet opening is not grasped and then twisted, turned or pulled. When in question, it is a foul.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I yelled at the tv last week too when Najee kept getting tackled that way. I am glad he kept his cool. It also looked dangerous like he could twist Najee's neck enough to cause serious issues. I just cannot believe the refs did not call it, especially on the 2nd time.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I’m of the belief that common sense isn’t so common when it comes to officiating.

“hmmm....they have him in a headlock with hand on back of helmet...and now his helmet is laying on the ground. Now how did that happen? Oh never mind .....“

• Thank You
Reactions: TriCountyTider

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And that's my problem. I just don't see how you exert enough torque without having something other than a slick helmet to rip off a helmet. As I said, I've not reviewed it and you have...
FWIW, my wife thinks that the defender had to have fingers in the neck hole on the first play and we just can't see it.

Reactions: TriCountyTider

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.