Immigration/Border Security Policy Thread

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I wonder how this flying migrants around the country will play out if there is a Republican primary without Trump. One has to assume there will be more candidates than just DeSantis. Politicians, being the cutthroats that they are, are bound to use it against DeSantis. If Ted Cruz thinks he has a shot at the presidency, he wouldn't hesitate to use any means necessary to win the nomination. Of course, one is as bad as the other.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I wonder how this flying migrants around the country will play out if there is a Republican primary without Trump. One has to assume there will be more candidates than just DeSantis. Politicians, being the cutthroats that they are, are bound to use it against DeSantis. If Ted Cruz thinks he has a shot at the presidency, he wouldn't hesitate to use any means necessary to win the nomination. Of course, one is as bad as the other.
in the 2018 georgia gop governor primary, it was almost comical watching the idiots trying to out anti-immigrant one another.

Reactions: Go Bama

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
This is an interesting consideration. I don't think it will be Cruz, though. My understanding is that among conservatives, his stock is falling faster than a pair of over-stretched Fruit-Of-The-Looms. Abbot might consider it, though he won't be able to use DeSantis' stunt against him since he did the same thing. I'm trying hard to think of another Republican with a profile as high as DeSantis' and I'm coming up with zilch. Pence is out. Cheney is out. I have to say, I'm really struggling here.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and Go Bama

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

The U.S. Treasury Department is investigating whether Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis improperly used federal funds meant for COVID-19 relief when he arranged for 50 Venezuelan migrants to be flown to Martha’s Vineyard from Texas on Sept. 14.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As ruthless and dishonest as the other are, none have the mental pathologies of a Trump. Last evening, on a snippet with George Clooney, describing the bar scene in NY 2015 and prior. He said that Trump was literally the guy who hung around the regulars at the bar, asking which of the bar maids were putting out. He said he had a very hard time taking Trump seriously as a candidate...

• Wow

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
why? i just love how republican's intransigence and blatant obstruction continually ends up as "government is bad and doesn't work, we should get rid of government"

recently, any progress whatsoever on immigration is consistently screwed up by republicans. they tell people they are doing this over and over again and people still think it's a "both sides" problem.

there was a fairly comprehensive, bi-partisan immigration bill that passed the senate 68-32 in 2013 that would have fixed some of the problems. it was torpedoed by the tea party in the house.

There was a bipartisan immigration bill in the Senate that would have passed (IIRC) with enough votes to make it veto - proof; Moscow Mitch wouldn’t bring it up for a vote because he didn’t want Trump to veto it for “optical” (my word) reasons. Trump said he’d veto it because it didn’t have his 20 billion wall money ( it only had 2 or 4 billion).
Voters need to open their eyes and ears; Congress is ultimately in charge of immigration, not the President who only has limited options and frequently gets blocked by partisan judges if/when he should choose to exercise those options.
Increased legitimate immigration would a) fill some of the available job openings that Americans won’t because they’d rather be “social influencers”, b) bring in more tax revenue and boost GDP, c) strengthen social security (foreign workers pay SS taxes but will never draw it unless they should become citizens) and really has no downside unless you’re a racist. All the fear mongering by the right wing is just that; people get shot around here regularly and we have a REPUBLICAN mayor, dominated City Council and County Commision. We’re not supposed to have crime like this with Republicans in charge, right? RIGHT? And 99% of the violent crimes are committed by native born citizens (and we have plenty of illegals down here).
Common sense solutions are available and absolutely impossible to implement; too many powerful people have vested interests in keeping the chaos and the citizens are either unwilling or just too ignorant to understand that beneficial solutions exist. Voting Republican is easier than thinking.

Reactions: 92tide

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

The U.S. Treasury Department is investigating whether Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis improperly used federal funds meant for COVID-19 relief when he arranged for 50 Venezuelan migrants to be flown to Martha’s Vineyard from Texas on Sept. 14.
I was stunned when I found out the illegals were in Texas. To top it off, the illegals were scammed into getting on the buses. Morally bankrupt - and he claims to be a Christian. What a scumbag.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I've been saying for some time that we need to fix this. The right is slowly coming around now that they have a clearer understanding of the fact that most of the people who immigrate here from the Southern border are very, very Catholic and thus very, very conservative. They live up to American values with their work ethic and respect for the law better than most Americans do. If we could find a way to vet out the criminals with any efficiency and get the ball rolling on citizenship for people who can help our country, it would fix a lot. Unfortunately, our government is the very definition of inefficiency, corruption and incompetence. We should farm this out to the private sector.
“The right is slowly coming around…”? Really? Turtles move slowly - I see no movement from the right to SPEND the amount of money that’s needed for MORE PEOPLE to process MORE PEOPLE and house in MORE SHELTERS. You know anyone who’s going to provide all of the above for free? You think Chip Roy and his looney cohorts are going to raise the deficit to pay for this?
And you need to study the current process for vetting the immigrants; it’s very effective (but slow) in weeding out the undesirables but is overwhelmed by the volume of immigrants, requiring everything I posted in the previous paragraph.
The right is unwilling to abandon its racist base, and that is exactly what doing any of the above will require. What happened in 2013 wasn’t the latest effort torpedoed by Repukes; Senate had a bill (I never learned the details but it was something) that they would pass but McConnell wouldn’t bring to the floor because it didn’t have 20 billion for Trump’s wall and he said he’d veto it.
Abbott is a perfect example: listen to his exact words.
“(He) should have been here day one to see the mess he created…” So Biden somehow spent decades creating this problem that he should have seen in person his first day in office - that is precisely what he said.
No one should ever question why my hatred for anyone who votes Republican is white-hot; ignorant rhetoric like this, only intended to divide and misinform, is the MO of the party; accompanied by their willingness to project their failures onto everyone else.
The President cannot fix the border; this needs to be the headline of every story in all media in regards to our border problem because too many people (like a well meaning resident of El Paso stated plainly, in news clip last night) think he has the sole authority to fix it. Ignorance fed and deepened by misinformation and inflammatory rhetoric. And I make no claim to the innocence of Dems, but their transgressions in this regard are minuscule compared to the undeniable vomit spewed by the Repukes.
No, the private sector will only bleed the government for billions and won’t do anything but make the situation worse. When Repukes love for their country becomes stronger than their hatred for Democrats, we might see progress. I’m not holding my breath. They still scream about the infrastructure bill being a budget buster, when rolling back Trumps tax cuts would have paid for a lot of it. They do not care about any citizens unless they are rich; the Dems, in this case, are only slightly better. Words ultimately mean less than actions.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Impeachment filed against Homeland Security Secretary Mayorkas

Our tax dollars at work. My revulsion towards Republican voters grows each day, and after Chump was elected I didn’t think that was possible.
Congress will not pass immigration legislation. Republicans want isolation and won’t settle for something that reduces their reasons for attacking Democrats.
Again, once love of country becomes greater than hatred for Democrats…..

Reactions: seebell

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
More good news.

the House voted to launch the Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government, which will be led by Rep. Jim Jordan,
Jordan said Monday that when the panel's membership is finalized, its first job will to look at alleged Justice Department efforts "to go after parents" amid a rise in threats to school board members since the start of the pandemic

• Thank You

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.