Incoming freshman LBs - S&C has some work to do

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
roster has updated weights for the new guys, and almost all have some major work to do.

Anderson - 230, needs 15-20+
Braswell - 220, needs 25-30+
Bratton - 233, likely ok
Kennedy - 215, needs 15-20
Sanders - 230, ok if he plays inside, probably needs 25+ on his frame to play OLB

That's based on being 3 down players, not just playing special teams. For for the OLBs they might be able to sub in pure rush packages. Hope they can all add some bulk as we could use some depth in rotation at OLB

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
roster has updated weights for the new guys, and almost all have some major work to do.

Anderson - 230, needs 15-20+
Braswell - 220, needs 25-30+
Bratton - 233, likely ok
Kennedy - 215, needs 15-20
Sanders - 230, ok if he plays inside, probably needs 25+ on his frame to play OLB

That's based on being 3 down players, not just playing special teams. For for the OLBs they might be able to sub in pure rush packages. Hope they can all add some bulk as we could use some depth in rotation at OLB
Really looking forward to spring to see how many guys have bulked up since their early arrival. Several freshman DL did it last year.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I’ll say it: I don’t care what they weigh. I want tackling and disruption, whatever they weigh to accomplish that I’m ok with. All we’ve been worried about lately is size and strength and I’m not sure that is going to solve our defensive issues. The early Saban defenses disrupted offenses because they were bigger and stronger and occupied blockers and clogged the line. I’m not sure that style can disrupt the offenses of today. You need guys that have a knack for disruption: arms up, explosive, and relentless. You need sure tacklers: not necessarily big hitters, but guys who can cover ground and get in the position to make the ball carrier fall down. You need guys that get outside quickly to cut off screens, guys that run around attempted blockers, and guys that can maintain space integrity (keep a quicker player from juking their jock off) until help arrives.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It`s a joint effort, with the dietary and nutrition staff playing a complementary and no less important role as CSC. I`ve wondered from time to time if they are ever recognized with championship rings (?) , IMHO they are deserving.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I’ll say it: I don’t care what they weigh. I want tackling and disruption, whatever they weigh to accomplish that I’m ok with. All we’ve been worried about lately is size and strength and I’m not sure that is going to solve our defensive issues. The early Saban defenses disrupted offenses because they were bigger and stronger and occupied blockers and clogged the line. I’m not sure that style can disrupt the offenses of today. You need guys that have a knack for disruption: arms up, explosive, and relentless. You need sure tacklers: not necessarily big hitters, but guys who can cover ground and get in the position to make the ball carrier fall down. You need guys that get outside quickly to cut off screens, guys that run around attempted blockers, and guys that can maintain space integrity (keep a quicker player from juking their jock off) until help arrives.
sounds right to me, well said

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: CoolBreeze

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
AMEN.
We need more than size, more than speed.
What we need are big guys who can disrupt
them whether they pass or run.
If I could only tell them one thing it would be Sure tackling, and speed to the ball, wins games. AND... it don't hurt if they have their hands up to bat down passes, or make pick 6s.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It`s a joint effort, with the dietary and nutrition staff playing a complementary and no less important role as CSC. I`ve wondered from time to time if they are ever recognized with championship rings (?) , IMHO they are deserving.
Amy Bragg is the head nutritionist, and Saban raves about her any chance he gets. He definitely views her and her staff as integral parts of the football operation, on a par with any other support staff, up to and including Scott Cochran.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Amy Bragg is the head nutritionist, and Saban raves about her any chance he gets. He definitely views her and her staff as integral parts of the football operation, on a par with any other support staff, up to and including Scott Cochran.
Isn't she also on the BOD at Fairlife??? Crazy smart individual.
...and she gives them rice krispy treats!!!

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
I know Bratton (live in the Shoals). He is absolutely ready! He'll play early and often. If not, whoever starts ahead of him is/are a complete beast(s).

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The days of bulk are pretty much over vs modern offenses.

I couldn't care less how big they are - I just want heat-seeking missiles.

Energy = mass x acceleration. Gimme enough speed and they'll stop the run / block no matter what.

#speedkills
that's true for a guy playing ILB who needs to run sideline to sideline and can use speed to overcome some lack of mass. That's why we're not seeing McClain or Hightower sized guys at ILB any longer. Size at that position has shed at least 25-30 pounds. depending on height, 225 to 235 is now the ideal for these guys.

However, even against todays spread offenses, the OLB in our scheme still lines up on the LOS and has to have the bulk/strength to set the edge against an OT since he's got no time or space to use speed to offset a lack of mass. Both the NFL draft guru types and PFF rate our OLBs as EDGE players, not OLB/LBs. Our guys are basically hybrid DEs who have just enough LB in them to drop into coverage every once and a while. We've still not yet had a 3 down starter at OLB who was less that 255-260. That's why Rashaan Evans eventually moved to ILB as he couldn't gain the mass to play OLB on the edge for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.