Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disaster (Oct 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Those guys are lucky to be alive. That was a very odd series of transmissions. Seems like they would have gone immediately back to the airport with an engine out.
From the sound of things, the second engine was having issues as well. Without full power, and at that low altitude, sudden course changes would bleed off too much air speed.

Reactions: UAH and TIDE-HSV

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Which is why turning back with one engine still running is the obvious choice.
Since the other engine was struggling, it's a tough call. Would have been a much steeper turn, and that requires adequate thrust to maintain altitude. If you're trying to maintain altitude with a struggling engine you're going to want to bring as much of the plane's ability to provide lift to bear as possible. A steep turn with limited power reduces the plane's ability to stay up a lot.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Since the other engine was struggling, it's a tough call. Would have been a much steeper turn, and that requires adequate thrust to maintain altitude. If you're trying to maintain altitude with a struggling engine you're going to want to bring as much of the plane's ability to provide lift to bear as possible. A steep turn with limited power reduces the plane's ability to stay up a lot.
Yep, sideslip occurs with any banked turn...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From WSJ
A federal grand jury in Texas indicted a former Boeing pilot, alleging that he deceived air-safety regulators about a flight-control system later blamed for sending two 737 MAX jets into fatal nosedives.

Mark A. Forkner, 49 years old, was charged with six counts of fraud related to his alleged role in persuading the Federal Aviation Administration to approve pilot-training materials that excluded references to the automated cockpit feature, the U.S. Justice Department said Thursday. The crashes occurred in late 2018 and early 2019 and took 346 lives.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
An interesting paragraph from the WSJ article yesterday:

As part of Boeing’s earlier settlement with the Justice Department, the company was charged with one count of conspiracy to defraud the FAA. Under terms of the settlement, Boeing will avoid prosecution on that charge—and remain eligible for federal contracts—as long as the company avoids legal trouble for a period of three years.
You know the DOJ will not bring any legal action against Boeing for the next three years, so they had to go after this guy. I would not be surprised if he was complicit, but I'm sure he was not alone.

• Thank You
Reactions: jthomas666

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Related to aviation, but someone screwed up in regard to 5G. I find it hard to believe this situation was allowed to get to this point.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Related to aviation, but someone screwed up in regard to 5G. I find it hard to believe this situation was allowed to get to this point.

That’s not good. I wonder if there was any indication long enough in advance to know this and to make the carriers keep their distance from airports when installing 5g equipment.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Recent law suit filed claiming Southwest Airlines influenced how Boeing would write the manuals and training requirements for the 737 Max.

During the development of 737 MAX training, the carrier agreed with Boeing to remove from pilot manuals references to a version of the automated flight-control system that in its later form was blamed by accident investigators for two fatal nosedives of the jet, according to the filing, made in a federal lawsuit in Texas.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Recent law suit filed claiming Southwest Airlines influenced how Boeing would write the manuals and training requirements for the 737 Max.

i guess we will start seeing a bunch of videos showing their flight attendants making funny safety talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.