Infant Formula Shortage

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm surprise there is no thread on this. As if life and having a baby isn't stressful enough, lets just throw this on the pile. We use a brand from a company other than Abbott. We didn't have issues finding formula until about 2 weeks ago. I guess everyone switched to our brand because you can't find anything now. Best case seems to be end of July for back to normal. Who cares if you can't feed babies? At least the stockholders are gaining value through unregulated mergers and acquisitions.

Too little too late. Makes you wonder how many more critical items are impacted by uncontrolled mergers

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and Con

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Too little too late. Makes you wonder how many more critical items are impacted by uncontrolled mergers
I know medications are one item.

Often, a medication will be on backorder for months before it suddenly reappears at multiples of the previous price.

Sorry you guys are having this issue. Abbott owes some answers, as do regulators and congresspersons.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm surprise there is no thread on this. As if life and having a baby isn't stressful enough, lets just throw this on the pile. We use a brand from a company other than Abbott. We didn't have issues finding formula until about 2 weeks ago. I guess everyone switched to our brand because you can't find anything now. Best case seems to be end of July for back to normal. Who cares if you can't feed babies? At least the stockholders are gaining value through unregulated mergers and acquisitions.

PM me the brand you are looking for and the wife and I will check when we hit the stores, since we live so close if I can find any I am happy to pick it up for you. Also if you hit a store that has and they limit you let me know right away and I'll get you my limit as well

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
PM me the brand you are looking for and the wife and I will check when we hit the stores, since we live so close if I can find any I am happy to pick it up for you. Also if you hit a store that has and they limit you let me know right away and I'll get you my limit as well
Thanks for the offer man. I really appreciated it. I "think" we ok for now. If I get critically low, I'll let you know. I've got family looking as well.

Luckily we use Gerber which is a non Abbott brands. So I can usually catch it on the shelf when they restock. It has just gotten really bad the last 2 weeks. I think people panicked a bought everything around that time. Luckily we kept a 1month supply on hand. We've been doing that since the baby was born with all the weird supply chain issues due to covid.

Bidgoodman

May 4, 2013
Since 1989, federal law narrowed competition by requiring each U.S. state to choose a single company to supply formulas available to low-income families under the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, known as WIC. The program provides food for about half of all U.S.-born infants, and today has only three market participants, Abbott, Reckitt and Nestle.

In an interview with Yahoo Finance ahead of Wednesday’s [congressional] hearing, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) expressed concern about consolidation and FDA “red tape” limiting new manufacturers from coming to market.

“There are companies — other manufacturers that have had to wait years to come to market because of FDA delays,” McMorris Rogers said, explaining that legislation she introduced last week would put the FDA on a deadline to respond to requests from new manufacturers.

Latest threads

Shop the TideFans.shop !

Your purchase through our TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!