Interesting thought about EVs...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
EV's make little or no sense financially or practically -- unless you live in southern Florida or Hawaii. Limited range, above stated heating issues in colder weather, and battery costs make it an expensive vehicle to own. I'm sorry, but my ICE's are still much more practical. That being said, I would love to see electric trains running down the middle of all our interstates. I would ride them, especially if they are price competitive to driving my own car.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Tell that to the person that destroyed his model 3 with dynamite after getting a $22K estimate for battery repair after only 900 miles. Maybe that is a rare issue but, I'm not taking the chance and will gladly stick with ICE.

My other issue is the lack of a universal charging standard. Every ICE can gas up and any gas station across the country. You don't have to worry about the nozzle fitting into your gas cap and you don't have to carry a handful of adapters. I really think the government should step in a require all EVs to support a single charging standard without the need for an adapter. It's like there is a "Blu-ray vs HD-DVD" format war going on in the charging world.

Anyway, like I said earlier, I've never paid more than $15,000 for a car. I buy used, never new. So, until there is a good used market for EVs I will probably never consider one. I just think they are too expensive for my taste but, most cars are too expensive for my taste.
it was a used 2013 model that had been modified. he had put 900 miles on it after he bought it used. the battery cost and teslas response are ridiculous, but its not like he just drove it off the lot and had this problem 900 miles later.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
EV's make little or no sense financially or practically -- unless you live in southern Florida or Hawaii. Limited range, above stated heating issues in colder weather, and battery costs make it an expensive vehicle to own. I'm sorry, but my ICE's are still much more practical. That being said, I would love to see electric trains running down the middle of all our interstates. I would ride them, especially if they are price competitive to driving my own car.
EV's can make sense regardless of where you live. People just need to be aware of their drawbacks as well as their benefits. If you live in Maine, have a 15 mile daily commute each way to work, have a 2nd ICE vehicle at your disposal, an EV makes total sense.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
EV's can make sense regardless of where you live. People just need to be aware of their drawbacks as well as their benefits. If you live in Maine, have a 15 mile daily commute each way to work, have a 2nd ICE vehicle at your disposal, an EV makes total sense.
Again, it all depends on the cost of operation. Paying a bundle in 5 years to replace batteries does not thrill anyone. All the estimates I have seen place cost per mile about the same as ICE, if not more.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
it was a used 2013 model that had been modified. he had put 900 miles on it after he bought it used. the battery cost and teslas response are ridiculous, but its not like he just drove it off the lot and had this problem 900 miles later.
Didn't he say something like Tesla didn't like some work done on it (by third parties)?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Again, it all depends on the cost of operation. Paying a bundle in 5 years to replace batteries does not thrill anyone. All the estimates I have seen place cost per mile about the same as ICE, if not more.
a buddy of mine gas a Nissan Leaf he bought used for like 8K it is a 2015/6 gets about a 60 mile range. He has had it for 2 years now and it has cost him exactly zero since purchase. No oil changes, there is no oil, no trans fluid changes as there is none of that either, even the brakes last thousands of miles longer as the regenerative brakes keep the pads from wearing. His workplace has spots for EV's so when he went into the office even charging was free. Costs a little more now to be plugged in but not a lot. Great car for a family that needs a local runaround vehicle

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
a buddy of mine gas a Nissan Leaf he bought used for like 8K it is a 2015/6 gets about a 60 mile range. He has had it for 2 years now and it has cost him exactly zero since purchase. No oil changes, there is no oil, no trans fluid changes as there is none of that either, even the brakes last thousands of miles longer as the regenerative brakes keep the pads from wearing. His workplace has spots for EV's so when he went into the office even charging was free. Costs a little more now to be plugged in but not a lot. Great car for a family that needs a local runaround vehicle
He has to charge it. Last I heard, electricity is not free.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My wife and I were talking about it yesterday. We've considered an EV for a second car. After this, we believe that the best use now is something like a little Smart Car, for running around town but not to rely on for distances, particularly in the winter...

Reactions: Jon

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Tell that to the person that destroyed his model 3 with dynamite after getting a $22K estimate for battery repair after only 900 miles. Maybe that is a rare issue but, I'm not taking the chance and will gladly stick with ICE.
Because the previous owner he bought it from had 'modified' the battery, which voided the warranty.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
That is bogus. We have a few friends with EVs and their electric bills went up by more than $200/mo.
because everyone is exactly the same right?

I bet the leaf gets driven 10-20 miles a week since he is work from home, that isn't using much power at all.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That is bogus. We have a few friends with EVs and their electric bills went up by more than $200/mo.
Depends on where you live, I suppose - our current local electrical rates are about $0.075 / kWh, which means a 70 kWh battery would cost just over $5 to charge from dead to full. That's 300 miles for ~$5. That's about what the average US driver needs in a week's time.

Your friends are either paying and arm-and-a-leg for electricity or they drive a crap-ton of miles. Or both.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
That’s what’s keeping me from pulling the trigger on an electric car. If I have a gallon of gas left, I need to stop but there are gas stations everywhere. If I am down to a “gallon” of electricity, it’s panic time.

Seems like a good idea if you live close to work or something to putter around town but no way would I trust it for a primary vehicle or for traveling.
We have an anesthesiologist at our hospital that bought an EV when the tax breaks were really good. He drove it to work and just around town. The funny thing was he only charged it at the hospital.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Depends on where you live, I suppose - our current local electrical rates are about $0.075 / kWh, which means a 70 kWh battery would cost just over $5 to charge from dead to full. That's 300 miles for ~$5. That's about what the average US driver needs in a week's time.

Your friends are either paying and arm-and-a-leg for electricity or they drive a crap-ton of miles. Or both.
Sorry, not buying what you guys are selling.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just looked, the average electricity rate in NJ is $0.1528 / kWh. Assuming a 85 kWh Tesla battery, that comes to just under $13 to completely charge the car. Assuming a 300 mile range, that means they would have to drive about 4,600 miles / month to incur $200 / month increase in electricity. That's a LOT of driving.

Reactions: seebell and Jon

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.