Iron Bowl Myths For This Time Of Year

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, here we are again. The jabbering jaws of jock sniffing will combine with the nattering nabobs of nonsense to exaggerate, hype, and promote interest in this year's Iron Bowl, a game that will likely be over by halftime or early in the third quarter with Alabama then having to worry about Auburn inflicting intentional injuries to derail the title run.

Every year we go through this.
Every year people who say this need flogged with a tube sock full of screws.
Every year, a couple of pretentious prognosticators promote the insane idea of Auburn equality with Alabama, and nobody calls them out with the the eight letter single-word reply that starts with the noun "Bull." Because these are people who think Brent Musberger was a good announcer, think Led Zeppelin are more creative than Boston, and think the only thing this country is missing is the fact there are not enough BICYCLE paths to encourage exercise, weight loss, and green energy.

But I digress.

I'll add more to the list, but you're going to hear these because some sportswriter who couldn't make his high school volleyball team needs and easy column so he can go play the ponies, and his annual "who should I vote for the baseball Hall of Fame" column is next month's easy day.

1) Throw out the records when Alabama plays Auburn.

In a word, baloney. Mild upsets are rare enough, and colossal upsets never happen either. The only REAL MAJOR upset since the 1948 renewal was in 1984, and that owed more to Pat Dye outsmarting himself (admittedly a very small feat) than anything Ray Perkins or Alabama did. I'll ADMIT that on occasion overmatched teams (2004 Alabama, 2009 Auburn) seem to play better and make the outcome a little more difficult to achieve, but even these are flukes. In 2009, Auburn had an extra week to prepare while Alabama not only had a game, they had a SHORT WEEK for a road game in the SEC. Auburn's entire ability to throw a scare into the Tide had more to do with external issues than any on the field talent.

There are a few games that myopic and biased fans want me to believe are amazing upsets: 1972, 1982, 2002, 2013. NONE of these are major upsets. A few might be minor ones, but lets' face it: a one-loss team beating an unbeaten team in a winner-take-all game at the home stadium (2013) is simply NOT a "major upset" no matter how many fans wish to say it is. Now a ONE-WIN team beating #1? Sure, but it's never happened in the Iron Bowl.

2) Coaches have been fired because of their inability to win THIS game.

Name one.

Go ahead, name one.

Mike DuBose? He resigned two and a half weeks before the game after losing to UCF.
Terry Bowden? He quit in October after lucking into a win the previous November.
Pat Dye? He resigned the night before the game in order to stave off the effects of an NCAA investigation
Ears Whitworth? yeah, he couldn't beat ANYBODY, so giving Auburn credit for this one is certifiably insane.

Name me ONE HEAD COACH fired because of the result of the Iron Bowl. Just one.

Doug Barfield? The Auburn BOT (a shadow group run by Jar Jar Bobby Lowder in 1980) said in early November 1980 that Barfield had to win his last 3 games to have a chance. A dry cleaner named Chuck Smith was demanding Barfield's firing at that meeting, and they agreed to postpone it until ten days after the Iron Bowl.

Yeah, assistants have been tossed overboard for stupid play calling that helped cost games. But not one single head coach in the modern era has EVER been fired "because he couldn't win the Iron Bowl." People who say this are full of it.

3) "We can lose all our other games, but if we win the Iron Bowl we had a great season."

Had to have been said by an Auburn fan. WAS said by an Auburn player. Pat Dye actually said this prior to the 1984 game, about how the big thing was winning "the state championship." No word of when his last drink was when he said that one.

Wanna know what you call a team that won one game all year that's entering the Iron Bowl?
The loser.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Mike Shula was fired because he couldn’t beat auburn. That’s a fact jack.
Mike Shula was fired because he couldn't beat auburn (0-4), lsu (0-4), tennesseee (1-3) When you are 1-11 against teams that mattered at the time you get fired. Plus we looked inept against team we did beat. Plus the giant discipline issues, plus his outright refusal to change what was broken.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mike Shula was fired because he couldn't beat auburn (0-4), lsu (0-4), tennesseee (1-3) When you are 1-11 against teams that mattered at the time you get fired. Plus we looked inept against team we did beat. Plus the giant discipline issues, plus his outright refusal to change what was broken.
If he didn’t get a huge raise in 2005 then the theory about “he didn’t beat X so he got fired would have more legs”. He was given an ultimatum after the MSU game to get rid of Radar and after he refused to after the Auburn game he was let go. Granted I think everyone felt it was something he would never do and they did it to have a reason to get rid of him to chase bigger fish, but from all reports that have came out by credible sources the decision to start thinking about moving on happened after MSU.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Mike Shula was fired because he didn’t want the job.

When your boss tells you to make changes or update your resume, and your response to that is “no boss I think I’ll stick with what got me here,” then what you are really saying is “I resign.”

Mal Moore gave Mike Shula the chance of a lifetime and when Mal Moore asked him to adjust his program, he showed him complete disrespect. You don’t do that to a guy who went out on a limb for you. Period.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mike Shula was fired because he didn’t want the job.

When your boss tells you to make changes or update your resume, and your response to that is “no boss I think I’ll stick with what got me here,” then what you are really saying is “I resign.”

Mal Moore gave Mike Shula the chance of a lifetime and when Mal Moore asked him to adjust his program, he showed him complete disrespect. You don’t do that to a guy who went out on a limb for you. Period.
Really the 06 Tennessee and MSU games were firable offenses. He was lucky the rug wasn’t yanked after those games. Mal even humoring him about coming back for 2007 was a chance of a lifetime.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Um, didn’t he go like 3-8 his last year?
That was dubose.

maybe you’ll remember this from the 06 season

-Arkansas Tiffin misses 10 billion kicks and we go into multiple overtime’s and lose

- We go into overtime and win vs Oeaux

- Tennessee we lead for like 50 minutes and lose because we can’t punch in a near pick six by Simeon Castile

- Florida throttles us

- LSU dominated us

- We found a way to lose to Sly croom

- we lose to Auburn in the most typical Tubberville IB. They played down to us, and we looked like we were going to win going into the 4th only for Cox to do his IB magic

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
AU winning in 2017 and 2019 were pretty big upsets in my opinion. But, in the vast majority of years... the better team (or favorite) wins.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
AU winning in 2017 and 2019 were pretty big upsets in my opinion. But, in the vast majority of years... the better team (or favorite) wins.
2017 Auburn was a good team. We were better but severely limited on offense by that time of the year, and injuries abounded on defense. Tua playing would have won that game for us but then how does the SEC championship game shake out? It worked out well for us in the long run.

Last year the game was flat out stolen by the refs and the two pick 6s were crippling. We were better in every way but when you get screwed by the refs and gift the opposition 14 points....

So I do think 2019 is an upset after everything is considered, but 2017 really wasn’t.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Both games had serious injuries on Alabama. Yes we can argue that the better team didn’t win, but really we are talking about more equal teams. This year these teams are nowhere near equal. If Auburn wins then it will be a huge upset

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
2017 Auburn was a good team. We were better but severely limited on offense by that time of the year, and injuries abounded on defense. Tua playing would have won that game for us but then how does the SEC championship game shake out? It worked out well for us in the long run.

Last year the game was flat out stolen by the refs and the two pick 6s were crippling. We were better in every way but when you get screwed by the refs and gift the opposition 14 points....

So I do think 2019 is an upset after everything is considered, but 2017 really wasn’t.
let me get done watching Sunday night football because it’s down to the wire. But there is HUGE play that no one talks about that lost us the game from last year that I’ll address

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That was dubose.

maybe you’ll remember this from the 06 season

-Arkansas Tiffin misses 10 billion kicks and we go into multiple overtime’s and lose

- We go into overtime and win vs Oeaux

- Tennessee we lead for like 50 minutes and lose because we can’t punch in a near pick six by Simeon Castile

- Florida throttles us

- LSU dominated us

- We found a way to lose to Sly croom

- we lose to Auburn in the most typical Tubberville IB. They played down to us, and we looked like we were going to win going into the 4th only for Cox to do his IB magic
On talent levels and ability alone we should have finished the regular season at least 9-3. Should have beaten Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi State. LSU and Florida were clearly better. Auburn would have been a tossup either way. But 9-3 was the basement for that team with that schedule and he still found a way to smash through it.

Reactions: 81usaf92

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1) First, I will say that out of Saban's 5 losses to Auburn while at Alabama, only the 2019 game gets to me. I dont buy into the miracle nonsense that most of our fanbase likes to use to describe their success.

2007- They had the better team, and we played the "woe is me" card. If anyone is to blame then blame DJ Hall for not fighting for a TD and letting the cornerback rip the ball out for an interception.

2010- Never watched it because I was deployed. But really we have ourselves to blame for allowing them to come back. It really highlights my frustrations of the Mac and Nuss offenses that many here have over the year had advocated in going back to. The truth is that those offenses had a hard time starting back up after being shut down and never were great at controlling a game when they lost the flow of the game

2013- How it ended made a game that we were doomed to lose worse than it was. If you really go back and watch the game youll see two things not related to the kicker that costed us the game. 1) They couldnt stop Cooper and 2) They loaded the box vs Yeldon. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that we win the game going away by putting the game in AJ's hands instead of TJ's. But that was typical Nuss. We were very fortunate not to lose 2012 LSU and UGA because of him mismanaging the game. Hell we are lucky that the aTm debacle he orchastrated didnt cost us a NC that year for mismanaging that game. I would love nothing more than to crap on kirby for 2012 aTm and 2013 Auburn but those are solely on Nuss for mismanaging one of the best offenses until Tua and Mac. But yet you have bozos like Ryan Brown trying to say that Nuss was the best OCs at Bama. But for the 2013 Auburn game, I accepted that we would probably lose in Overtime by the start of the 4th because Nuss was too stubborn to change his strategy.

2017- Too many injuries and Jalen Hurts.

2019- trust me Im getting to it.

2) As a former ref, I can 100% say that the refs costed us the 2019 game. Yeah you'll have folks say "Well two pick sixes" , and they do have a credible point. Then you have ref defenders like our North Dakota friend, Im not linking him like I do folks like @selmaborntidefan and @DzynKingRTR because it makes me madder about the game when folks obnoxiously try to defend the refs when they know they were in the wrong.

3) 2019 game calls

#1 the 1 second. Im not going to get into this one because its beating a dead horse because its been talked about for the whole year. It was horrible and everyone knows it. Even the ref defenders.

#2. Probably the biggest one is the ONE offensive holding call that was called the whole game. You can call holding every play or no play. But if you call it once then it cant be the only time you call it because it is just impossible to say that it just happened on just one play. I have more respect for the 2016 NCG refs for never calling it than I do for these bozos calling it just once. Guess what was the result of the play that they called it on.... Yep Mac Jones throws a long TD. So you are basically telling me that Auburn doesnt hold, and that the one play you saw holding just happened to be a 37 yard strike to the endzone by the visiting team?

Bottom line: Even with the two Pick Sixes, if the refs called a fair game Alabama wins 49-45 at the very least. This is the ONE game that we lost to them that truly makes me angry

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
AU winning in 2017 and 2019 were pretty big upsets in my opinion.
Given that Auburn:
a) barely lost to playoff team Clemson
b) blew a 20-0 lead to barely lose to a decent LSU team
c) blew out the other team that played in the title game (UGA)
d) entered the game ranked #6
e) we had a ton of injuries on defense
f) the game was played in Jerking Hare, where logic goes to die

...it's VERY difficult to sell the notion that was some sort of mammoth upset. While I do agree that we had more talent and the better team ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, we also had a quarterback who in two years was still unable to get the courage to pull the trigger. In all honesty, had Saban himself been willing to take the Tua gamble he took versus Jawja, we probably win that (and get rewarded with a game against UGA and then Ohio State in the playoffs.

Calling it a bit of an upset, fair enough. But that's hardly "throw out the records" or "any team can win this game." But remember, they manhandled UGA, too.

But, in the vast majority of years... the better team (or favorite) wins.
Well, I won't go the "favorite" route because that's a wax nose.

I'm not saying "mild upsets" don't happen.
I'm not saying you don't have some cases of teams playing over their heads a bit (2004, 2009).
I'm saying the idea that a 3-9 team is going to beat a 9-3 team in the Iron Bowl is demonstrably absurd.

Last year came a tad bit closer to meeting genuine upset criteria, but Auburn was still a good team.
They'd given both LSU and UGA very close contests, and Florida was close until the fourth quarter.
Plus, the SEC had five teams in the final top 13 (before the bowls).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.