JessN: IRON BOWL WRAPUP: Last-minute heroics propel Tide to unlikely result in Jordan-Hare

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Auburn wrap-up: Last-minute heroics propel Tide to unlikely result in Jordan-Hare
By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief

As a nod to the late Cecil Hurt, in regard to the story I had mostly ready to go when Alabama got the ball at its own 2-yard line with less than 2 minutes in regulation: “Give me rewrite!”.

Cecil had once written about Alabama’s game-winning drive in the 2009 Alabama-Auburn game, calling it one of, if not the most important drives in the history of the program. At the time, Alabama was knocking on the door of a championship, but none of Nick Saban’s championships had yet been secured. Alabama had gone into Jordan-Hare Stadium as a heavy favorite in Gus Malzahn’s first year as Auburn head coach. Instead, it took a breathtaking last-minute drive and a Greg McElroy touchdown pass to Roy Upchurch in order to seal the deal and send Alabama on to an eventual title-winning matchup against Texas.

It makes you wonder what Cecil would say about this one.

CONTINUE READING

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Final drive of regulation to tie the game reminded me of the "AJ to TJ" drive against LSU. We had done very little on offense that evening, especially in the 2nd half, until that game-winning drive.

Reactions: CraigD

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Great stuff, Jess, as always.

Your pre-season concern with the RT situation could not have been more prescient.

Now, off to the store to get some more Alka Seltzer...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Hard to say that this is your best piece Jess, but I believe it is and Cecil would concur. This observation is to me the key that will propel this team over the next three games:

"Alabama is going to get so much experience in the process of growing up, that it will complete the process and become the team that knows exactly what to do with the chips are down."

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
You read my mind, Jess. I'll tip my hat to you because I am sure Cecil would approve.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.