Poll: Is Donald Trump a Christian?

In Your Opinion Is Donald Trump a Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 90.0%

• Total voters

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don’t have a problem with the state sanctioning marriage. A marriage brings about a lot of legalities, so the state should have some sort of involvement just as they would any other business enterprise.

I also don’t have a problem with a minister being allowed to officiate. Today anyone can be ordained on line, so you can get whoever you want to do the ceremony. Or you can have the county probate do it at the courthouse.

I find it funny almost nobody seemed concerned about the state issuing marriage licenses before gays were allowed to have one.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I have learned that I cannot accept a pastor who tells his congregation who to vote for from the pulpit. I have walked out in the middle of a service for this.
During the W years, one party enthusiastically embraced torture. I gave up on the church I grew up in because the preacher would not condemn torture. The church was fund raising for an addition to the building at the time...my perception was the preacher didn't want to offend some in the congregation by pointing out torture was wrong.

Post script, that preacher later went on to murder his wife and he also tried to kill his only child.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Well what it has become is probably due to what happen in the Summer of Mercy protests in 1991, but I don't think the evangelicals and the issue of abortion was nearly as hand and hand until then. Yeah many were silently opposed to it, but Fox really started rallying them against it in the 90's, and its become the face palm topic ever since.

But I do believe that Graham's original goal in getting Christianity in politics was more anti communist than to seize power, but doing so probably had more lasting negative effects on society than positive. It pretty much branched off as white supremist trying to rewrite the constitution because they interpret the Bible a certain way. I think Graham saw what he created and started to walk back his involvement in politics because of it.
Graham later said that the deed he regretted most was becoming close to Republican politicians -- and in particular Richard Nixon. He grew tremendously throughout his life...and it showed in his beliefs and actions the last 25 years.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I hate this idea that Christianity (or any other religion) has anything to do with marriage, Marriage predates Christianity by centuries
The state uses marriage licenses for economic (taxes) reasons...they have that right -- issue a license that is secular and could be had by all manner of persons...just don't ask the church and/or ministers to be a part of it. If the church does not maintain a healthy distance from the state then it cannot be a prophetic voice speaking to it.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
During the W years, one party enthusiastically embraced torture. I gave up on the church I grew up in because the preacher would not condemn torture. The church was fund raising for an addition to the building at the time...my perception was the preacher didn't want to offend some in the congregation by pointing out torture was wrong.

Post script, that preacher later went on to murder his wife and he also tried to kill his only child.
Wow...sounds like a Stephen King novel, only worse. I have found that being ordained does not make one a saint...or repair character flaws or personality disorders. In fact, it may be worse, for it covers these with a cloak of respectability.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Many don't want God involved, so where would they be without the state?
I was just referring to my marriage. If someone doesn't want God in their marriage that's their prerogative.

I agree the state gets involved because of financial reasons, but that opened the door to who can marry whom (interracial or same sex) and tax laws different for married vs. single.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was just referring to my marriage. If someone doesn't want God in their marriage that's their prerogative.

I agree the state gets involved because of financial reasons, but that opened the door to who can marry whom (interracial or same sex) and tax laws different for married vs. single.
Actually, religion got involved there or those things would always have been legal. The state changed their views on that before religion in the US, and most religions will still not allow those marriages.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Did you hear the joke about the woman who drove her car into oncoming traffic as a test of her faith? Oh, wait, it wasn't a joke: Link

An investigator who spoke to Reilly said that she told him she had been driving around for several hours waiting for a calling from God when she decided to take action into her own hands and drive into an oncoming vehicle.

“Reilly related God took care of her by not having her injured,” wrote Trooper Bruce Balliet in an arrest affidavit. “Reilly expressed no concerns or remorse for the victims. Reilly also stated she did not care if the other people were injured because God would have taken care of them.”

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I don’t have a problem with the state sanctioning marriage. A marriage brings about a lot of legalities, so the state should have some sort of involvement just as they would any other business enterprise.

I also don’t have a problem with a minister being allowed to officiate. Today anyone can be ordained on line, so you can get whoever you want to do the ceremony. Or you can have the county probate do it at the courthouse.

I find it funny almost nobody seemed concerned about the state issuing marriage licenses before gays were allowed to have one.
The state issuing marriage licenses bothered me the first time I had to pay for a marriage license in 1980. It bothered me immensely when that marriage was dissolved and I was left after 4 years with way less than what I had when I had gotten married.

It's hard for me to view a marriage as a business enterprise. I've owned four businesses (3 sole proprietor and 1 partnership), had one great marriage, and one nightmare. Neither marriage worked at all like the businesses. Be that as it may, the state has no other option I'm aware of than to treat marriage like a business. Unfortunately, when Tennessee dissolves a marriage they don't see 2 equal partners. If this sounds like I'm bitter, it happened back in the 80's and my 1st wife is deceased. It's way in the past.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Graham later said that the deed he regretted most was becoming close to Republican politicians -- and in particular Richard Nixon. He grew tremendously throughout his life...and it showed in his beliefs and actions the last 25 years.
his namesake was running around a couple of weeks ago claiming his father had voted for trump and was proud to see him chosen as god's servant to deliver america from evil or something like that.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
his namesake was running around a couple of weeks ago claiming his father had voted for trump and was proud to see him chosen as god's servant to deliver america from evil or something like that.
He is probably stupid enough to believe it.

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
His namesake is NOWHERE near the person his father was...which shows the challenge that all family "ministries' have -- succession. Robert Schueller's son and daughter feuded until they destroyed the Crystal Cathedral...the list is really, really long.

Reactions: 92tide and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
His namesake is NOWHERE near the person his father was...which shows the challenge that all family "ministries' have -- succession. Robert Schueller's son and daughter feuded until they destroyed the Crystal Cathedral...the list is really, really long.
Billy Graham could have ensured that his ministry was passed into better hands. He chose this, and now his son does what he does (mostly hate mongering). Billy knew what his son was when he passed on his ministry 20+ years ago. This is all on him.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Billy Graham could have ensured that his ministry was passed into better hands. He chose this, and now his son does what he does (mostly hate mongering). Billy knew what his son was when he passed on his ministry 20+ years ago. This is all on him.
I still want to know why he invested millions in a pool boys gay friendly hostel in Miami. There is a backstory that I would love to hear

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.