Is it inevitable that the playoff games become Super Bowl-like corporate venues?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
So part of the discussion leading up to this game is the likelihood that the Alabama fanbase doesn't really takeover the Orange Bowl. It got me thinking about the affect that this will have on the playoffs in general because the playoff brackets have largely been a small group of usual suspects.

Alabama - 5 semifinal appearances, 3 championship appearances*

Clemson - 4 semifinal appearances, 2 championship appearances*

Florida State - 1 semifinal appearance

Georgia - 1 semifinal appearance, 1 championship appearance

Michigan State - 1 semifinal appearance

Notre Dame - 1 semifinal appearance*

Ohio State - 2 semifinal appearances, 1 championship appearance

Oklahoma - 3 semifinal appearances*

Oregon - 1 semifinal appearance, 1 championship appearance

Washington - 1 semifinal appearance

* Currently in the playoffs

So there have been 5 tournament brackets yet only 10 distinct participants. Only 5 teams in 5 years have played in the championship game. This isn't surprising though because year to year the top teams mostly look the same. Teams fall off the top reaches of the sport occasionally though. This is what happened to Florida State and Oregon. If the playoffs had started a few years earlier I assume that for Oregon at the very least that their playoff appearances would've increased dramatically. Now they are middle of the road bowl program. The reality is that bluebloods - or teams like LSU in the 00s and Clemson in the 10s who have jumped up from really good to great for a stretch - are gonna get tapped out in terms of fan support because the cost of these playoff runs will get to all but the richest fanbases. And I doubt Harvard or Princeton is gonna be in the CFP anytime soon.

The sentiment I see here is gonna reach to all the fanbases soon. Oklahoma is consistently getting into these tournaments. Let them see a few championship game runs - after this year of course :D - and they'll start talking about this financial burden too. I imagine that Clemson's fanbase is about to dull on their turnout especially in semifinal games. I think Notre Dame is gonna takeover that stadium. It only takes having your team play basically two bowls in a year before you have some weighing waiting it out for the championship or simply run out of money to do it altogether.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: Is it inevitable that the playoff games becomes Super Bowl-like corporate venues?

So part of the discussion leading up to this game is the likelihood that the Alabama fanbase doesn't really takeover the Orange Bowl. It got me thinking about the affect that this will have on the playoffs in general because the playoff brackets have largely been a small group of usual suspects.

So there have been 5 tournament brackets yet only 10 distinct participants. Only 5 teams in 5 years have played in the championship game. This isn't surprising though because year to year the top teams mostly look the same. Teams fall off the top reaches of the sport occasionally though. This is what happened to Florida State and Oregon. If the playoffs had started a few years earlier I assume that for Oregon at the very least that their playoff appearances would've increased dramatically. Now they are middle of the road bowl program. The reality is that bluebloods - or teams like LSU in the 00s and Clemson in the 10s who have jumped up from really good to great for a stretch - are gonna get tapped out in terms of fan support because the cost of these playoff runs will get to all but the richest fanbases. And I doubt Harvard or Princeton is gonna be in the CFP anytime soon.

The sentiment I see here is gonna reach to all the fanbases soon. Oklahoma is consistently getting into these tournaments. Let them see a few championship game runs - after this year of course :D - and they'll start talking about this financial burden too. I imagine that Clemson's fanbase is about to dull on their turnout especially in semifinal games. I think Notre Dame is gonna takeover that stadium. It only takes having your team play basically two bowls in a year before you have some weighing waiting it out for the championship or simply run out of money to do it altogether.
One thing I keep hearing from Bama fans in South Carolina is that Clemson alumni has an insane amount of money to spend.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To answer the question at the top of the thread: Yes. It's just too much money for all but the wealthiest fans to sustain over time.

In the emotion of a first time or infrequent participant, yes, they'll pony up. But unless you have access to a free place to stay, or free tickets, or happen to live within easy driving distance, a trip to a semi-final is going to run $2.5K a couple, all in.

Depending on location, the final will usually be a $4K to $5K proposition. Atlanta last year was far more convenient for most Bama fans. But the San Francisco Bay Area is a different story entirely.

And that assumes paying face for the tickets, which entails its own set of costs in the form of Tide Pride fees and donations in excess of that needed to be able to order.

If you buy off Stub Hub, expect more.

So depending on your style of travel, if your team makes the finals, it's $6K to $10K a couple by the time you pay for airfare, hotel, rental car, food and drink, parking and the tickets themselves.

So yes, evolution to a Super Bowl-like corporate event is inevitable.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Semifinal face value is about 175 for nose bleeds
Student tickets for National championship games the last two years was a whopping 550

From what ive noticed, Ive never been to the Rose or Phoniex, Dallas and NOLA have been the easiest on the wallet. Its mostly because there is a lot of surrounding area that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to stay at, and they have a fun area to enjoy.

Atlanta is okay, but good luck trying to get a decent 4 star that is affordable.

Miami has done byfar the worst of the NY6, and its mostly due to all the surrounding area having exotic costs due to beaches. It almost feels like you are paying to go to Disney World in order to go to stay there.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Re: Is it inevitable that the playoff games becomes Super Bowl-like corporate venues?

One thing I keep hearing from Bama fans in South Carolina is that Clemson alumni has an insane amount of money to spend.
Appeared the Clemson fans outnumbered the Bama fans in all 3 of the to date CFP games. I attended Phoenix and New Orleans games. Family said it was the same in Tampa.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
When it does then I will in all likelihood be through with college football. Might still watch a game or two but not to the extent I have been for the past 40 years. The playoffs have ruined the bowl system to the extent that there is low fan turnout, players opting not to play, etc. I guess it is a sign of the times, but let them have at it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Appeared the Clemson fans outnumbered the Bama fans in all 3 of the to date CFP games. I attended Phoenix and New Orleans games. Family said it was the same in Tampa.
I know people that went to Phoniex and Tampa who said it was about 70-30 them. I went to the Sugar Bowl and there were more Clemson fans but it was a lot closer to a 50-50 split in the dome imo. But they totally had the French Quarter

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Well, if you keep having the games in cities that really don't care about College Football........what else can you expect?

I think you should have championship games in College Football Cities, and rotate......

This whole Santa Clara thing is a bit over the top as far as I'm concerned......

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
When it does then I will in all likelihood be through with college football. Might still watch a game or two but not to the extent I have been for the past 40 years. The playoffs have ruined the bowl system to the extent that there is low fan turnout, players opting not to play, etc. I guess it is a sign of the times, but let them have at it.
Just like I am with any pro sport now - it’s all about the money.
Seems like every podunk town (sorry, Mobile and Birmingham and others, just calling it like I see it) wants a bowl game. Judging from bodies in the stands, attendance is pitiful; don’t know how revenue is distributed but whoever’s counting on ticket sales ain’t raking in the dough unless the corporate sponsors are buying up the unsold tickets which may explain why the sponsorships for some of these bowls seemingly change every year.
So bowls are rewards for players - who thinks going to Birmingham is a “reward”?
Said it in other thread, convert the big bowls to playoffs for the top 15, do away with the rest. More people in the stands, more TV viewers, only the cities hosting the “R&L Carriers Bowl” and the like lose - as well as teams that can barely win half their games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I said This for a few years ago . I know, I tapped out a few years back. BAMA fans are broke. Throw in a neutral site game and an SECCG and it’s been very expensive to be a Bama fan. Call it disinterest, complacency or whatever. It’s not . I call it Broke. Yeah, I can see exactly what you are saying and that may be the only sustainable long term revenue stream for high level football programs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I said This for a few years ago . I know, I tapped out a few years back. BAMA fans are broke. Throw in a neutral site game and an SECCG and it’s been very expensive to be a Bama fan. Call it disinterest, complacency or whatever. It’s not . I call it Broke. Yeah, I can see exactly what you are saying and that may be the only sustainable long term revenue stream for high level football programs.
I agree - Bama problems, but it has been expensive just keeping up with current championship garb. It costs a lot of money to be an Alabama fan right now.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I think it will eventually evolve to having playoff games on-campus, especially if expands to 8 teams. The National Championship game is already suffering because you only have about a week to plan and get to the game once you are in, unless you take a chance on making it. For Bama it is usually a pretty good bet that you will be in, but it is still hard to commit when you don't know if you will be there or not, given the costs.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I agree - Bama problems, but it has been expensive just keeping up with current championship garb. It costs a lot of money to be an Alabama fan right now.
Alabama has it bad but I think it is getting quite bad for several fanbases because the balance of history tends for them to be near the top. Alabama has the worst but costs for Oklahoma and Ohio State fans are not much better. Especially since each has a conference championship game now too. This order of things is just gonna tap out all of the bluebloods in a few years with occasional enthusiasm after a decline and resurgence for bluebloods.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
For the first time ever, I didn't request semifinal nor championship games tickets when my order form came. The Orange Bowl is, I think, the smallest venue in the rotation and because I didn't get tickets when we played ND, I didn't figure I'd get them this time either. Since we once again play the last semifinal game, most flights will already be taken by the Clemson fans before our game ends. So, for me, that leaves 2 options: a) do the same day charter as we did for Phoenix and Tampa, but flying to SF and back - plus the game - makes for a really long and exhausting day, an email I received has that cost at $1499 per; or b) buy a package from someone like Total Sports Travel and let them do all the planning and make all the reservations and pay dearly for their work.

My interest and desire to attend our games hasn't waned. My ticket to the BCS championship in Pasadena cost $200.
Tickets to championship game in Santa Clara were $675 each on my order form and the Orange Bowl game was $300. I'm just an average joe type of fan and I can't keep pace with the ever increasing cost to follow my team to these playoff events. In fact, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not really their target audience anyway.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
To the OP's original question........I would say they've already become corporate venues.......if you look at the seating chart for the Orange Bowl, less than 1/4 of tickets were dedicated for each school; less than 1/2 of the stadium will be tickets sold thru the two schools. Probably 60% or so of the seats are corporate seats.

Last edited:

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I agree that the playoff games have already become corporate venues. It costs a fortune to go to these games, and many Bama fans cannot afford them. This may just be a consequence of success. Success means more demand, which means higher prices. I think most fans will just pick their moments and watch most games on TV. I went to the NC game versus Texas, I had a lot of fun, but I also knew it would probably be the last NC game I went to for a long time. I've been to a few of the SECC games in Atlanta, but I didn't go this year. It really just comes down to choices. I'm happy that I had the opportunity to see Bama win a NC in person, not many fans can say that about their teams.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
To the OP's original question........I would say they've already become corporate venues.......if you look at the seating chart for the Orange Bowl, less than 1/4 of tickets were dedicated for each school; less than 1/2 of the stadium will be tickets sold thru the two schools. Probably 60% or so of the seats are corporate seats.
We shouldn't be in "blue" -- ;)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Correct me if I'm wrong but those "Orange Bowl Committee" seats were at least in part sold directly to the public through the Orange Bowl and those tickets will largely end up on the secondary market. A fair chunk of those seats will certainly be corporate gifts to partners of the Orange Bowl though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.