Is it too early for this? Who comes back and who turns pro?

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Not sure if Hall's route running is up to par, or if he is slower than I thought. He was getting no separation. We need some big, mean O linemen and interior D linemen.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Forgot in my earlier post that Jamo was a junior this season. Hoping his injury doesn't hurt his draft stock too much. The takeaway for me is that we don't have 6 future NFL rookie starters going out as juniors, but plenty of guys who can develop into that by this time next year (not counting Will and Bryce).

We probably wouldn't be criticizing Hall so much were it not for the tweets. His latest one suggests he may be ready to grow up and get his mind right, good news given his enormous upside. As far as the other young WR's, we've been spoiled with how quickly Smith, Jeudy, Ruggs, etc, popped. That has to be an outlier. I think Brooks, Holden, Hall, etc. spending an offseason working with Bryce and the jugs machine will pay off next year.

I think the biggest question mark for next year's team is at offensive tackle. This is the first time I can remember in Saban's tenure when we didn't already know who'd be starting LT for next year. Let's hope Marrone (or his successor) can coach up these high ranked recruits who barely saw the field this year.

I think we're in good shape going forward. That bitter taste the boys are feeling should fuel them to a big year.
We all also need to remember that when Smith, Ruggs and Jeudy stepped on campus, the only other truly elite receiver on the roster was Ridley. Sims and Foster were pretty good, but there was certainly reason to give the freshmen reps. For the guys who are sophomores now, when they were freshmen, we had Smith, Waddle, and Metchie as starters . Which one do you take meaningful reps from to give to a freshmen? This year, maybe there was some room in the slot with Slade, but are you going to take JAMO or Metchie out to give reps to someone else?

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
I think the biggest question mark for next year's team is at offensive tackle. This is the first time I can remember in Saban's tenure when we didn't already know who'd be starting LT for next year. Let's hope Marrone (or his successor) can coach up these high ranked recruits who barely saw the field this year.
The guy being groomed for it appears to be Latham. George is the next guy up at RT. Interior should stay the same unless someone leaves early

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
my list of guys who would do well in the draft leaving:
Jameson Williams - depending on the nature of his knee injury
Jordan Battle
Phil Mathis
To To
Christian Harris - boy did he finally meet his potential

who might do well returning:
John Metchie - he was a solid possession guy but somehow lost the deep threat. the Big Money is on the deep threat though so he needs to prove himself there to get the big money. But if he is ready to go he will do fine.

Guys who desperately need to come back and get better
Latu and Billingsley - for the love of God did they disappoint, with most of that landing on Billingsley, though I thought Latu would have a better year. I still believe he's got huge potential.

Biggest issues I see are finding 2 more solid wideouts, 2 more solid tackles, and 2 more middle linebackers if To To and Harris leave
I've seen To'o To'o projected as a 3rd rounder, so he might come back for another year, which would really help with consistency in the middle. Our D tends to not do that great when we have two new starters at ILB...

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
Gallatin, Tennessee, United States
I hope Hall gets it, because I'm really excited to see what he can do. Maybe it's the 84, but he reminds me of Randy Moss.

To'oTo'o needs a full offseason in the Bama S&C programming. He was almost always in the right place, but was consistently being run over on tackles. He's just not strong enough to play ILB in the NFL yet.

Williams and Metchie are probably gone. I'm not sure either could significantly improve their draft stock with another year.

Harris and Battle are probably gone, though I would love for them to return.

I'm on the fence with Billingsly. If he'll get in line, he can be a huge asset. If he's gonna continue to be a distraction, he needs to go. Latu outplayed him this year, and is still learning the position.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
This may sound crazy...but we could possibly have some LB's either on the team now or coming in who have a higher ceiling than Henry T. He plays hard but seems to be a little light to play ILB. Would he get passed by a younger, but more talented player? Very possible...
and tends to be out of position often

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I know its been only in limited reps but Hall looks like he could be special to me. Just the way he moves seems different. I can't really pin point what it is. Maybe body control at his size?

Reactions: TheRealPokeChop

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We all also need to remember that when Smith, Ruggs and Jeudy stepped on campus, the only other truly elite receiver on the roster was Ridley. Sims and Foster were pretty good, but there was certainly reason to give the freshmen reps. For the guys who are sophomores now, when they were freshmen, we had Smith, Waddle, and Metchie as starters . Which one do you take meaningful reps from to give to a freshmen? This year, maybe there was some room in the slot with Slade, but are you going to take JAMO or Metchie out to give reps to someone else?
That's a good point. It takes a guy being truly special to break into a better rotation.

Someone mentioned not knowing who our LT will be next year. It's been a while since we haven't had a special wide receiver coming back. Assuming JW is gone in the draft, we don't have a known bell cow. There's potential but it's unknown. Probably gives those 5 recruited we signed a chance to make an impact next year. It'll be fun to watch!

UKTideFan1961

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 20, 2019
I'm on the fence with Billingsly. If he'll get in line, he can be a huge asset. If he's gonna continue to be a distraction, he needs to go. Latu outplayed him this year, and is still learning the position.
Entered the transfer portal this afternoon according to ESPN.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.