Is it too early for this? Who comes back and who turns pro?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We thought that about this year's line . . .
to be fair to our Athletic Performance staff, under their leadership, Evan Neil defied physics with what he was able to do, and Cohen and Emil were also pretty stout. There were just other holes some teams were able to exploit, and a lot of the issue was more in players recognizing and then reacting to what was happening.

Reactions: The Ols

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
to be fair to our Athletic Performance staff, under their leadership, Evan Neil defied physics with what he was able to do, and Cohen and Emil were also pretty stout. There were just other holes some teams were able to exploit, and a lot of the issue was more in players recognizing and then reacting to what was happening.
My point, exactly. Big and strong enough wasn't the issue this past season, either. And the coach that is the weak link in all this is still on staff in the same position.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My point, exactly. Big and strong enough wasn't the issue this past season, either. And the coach that is the weak link in all this is still on staff in the same position.
That has me worried, but Saban saw the issue and brought in Pendry. But I was talking to a friend who coaches TEs for a living and he said that if Marrone was doing that poor a job, Pendry could not have fixed it in a week.

His point was that Marrone is clearly not doing a terrible job. He is just missing something. The question - how easy can that be corrected? Maybe Pendry already has?

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
That has me worried, but Saban saw the issue and brought in Pendry. But I was talking to a friend who coaches TEs for a living and he said that if Marrone was doing that poor a job, Pendry could not have fixed it in a week.

His point was that Marrone is clearly not doing a terrible job. He is just missing something. The question - how easy can that be corrected? Maybe Pendry already has?
I think Pendry taught him how to communicate to college aged athletes rather than pro's. There is a difference...including motivation.

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
I would be shocked if Coach Marrone is back.Totally.I cant see any way.So the O-Line Coaching hire will be 1 of the biggest and most important of CNS's tenure.When the unit broke down this past season(And it happened repeatedly NEARLY every game),it began in the middle at Center,at RT of course,and in several communication,scheme,and technique issues. Nothing more.Nothing less.Unless one would want to quibble on BY holding on to the ball too long at times(Which he did),and a lack of answers many times, in certain ballgames,against Pressures.

Getting JC Latham,The Brockermeyer boys,DGeorge,TG Ferguson,JRoberts,TBooker,and EPritchett Coached up and ready to roll is paramount to the success of this program moving forward.And the other young men who have been in the program longer.And I dont believe it will be Marrone who will be in charge of doing this.EE and Cohen are solid.And Seth M obviously was an upgrade late at Center,even though he was very light in the loins.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The problem with this years o-line wasn't about being big and strong as it was more about coaching, ability, footwork and cohesion. We employed a makeshift unit much of the year for multiple reasons on top of that.
And yet almost won a NC. If our WR1 and 2 had been healthy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.