Is Kiffin lobbying to be Saban’s successor?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My Dad made me start with Latin -- 2 years in HS...then 2 more years in college. I took French in HS as well. Latin is the basis for all the Romance languages...later when I had to take Greek and German they were easier...although German is a different animal. If you want a challenge though, try Hebrew. I took 2 semesters in seminary, could read it back then, but still don't understand how God could inspire anyone in that language...LOL.
I had three years of Latin in HS, no languages in college. Around 30, I decided to learn German and I'm fluent in that. I speak some Norwegian. It was an easy study, triangulating English and German. A couple of years ago, I started in on French, having a daughter living there. It gets harder, as you get older. I can read related languages like Dutch and Italian is really not that far off Latin. French has drifted further...

Reactions: dtgreg and Padreruf

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I had three years of Latin in HS, no languages in college. Around 30, I decided to learn German and I'm fluent in that. I speak some Norwegian. It was an easy study, triangulating English and German. A couple of years ago, I started in on French, having a daughter living there. It gets harder, as you get older. I can read related languages like Dutch and Italian is really not that far off Latin. French has drifted further...
Languages seem to be a little related. I speak enough gutter Spanish to get by with the Tex/Mex's. Couple of years ago we were on a cruise ship, and met a Italian couple. Discovered half of Italian and Spanish were pretty much interchangeable. One thing I learned from talking to the Cabin Boys, was that a $20.00 bill is truly the international language.

Reactions: dtgreg and Con

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Had two years of Latin in high school, no other languages in high school or college.

I've found that I can read enough French and Italian to generally get by. We have some conversational French CDs that we use to refresh in the months ahead of a trip there.

Mrs. Basket Case is a better speaker, though. So between the two of us, we do OK.

Regarding the famous French vanity about their language, we've been to France five times, and haven't experienced much of that, even in Paris.

They don't like it if you just walk up and start yammering away in English. It comes across as though you're a voluntary visitor in their country, and you're expecting them to change to suit you. But if you try some French, most of the time, they'll just say, "We can speak English." Even so, they seem to appreciate the effort.

As a side: regarding them not liking Americans. Haven't experienced much of that either. What they don't like is loud. And by their standards, a lot of Americans are loud, especially if they're into their cups.

Put it this way: I've seen a lot more ugly Americans in France than I have experienced poor treatment from the French.

Reactions: dtgreg

CoolBreeze

Registered
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Probably. But theres no downside for him if he's not - the more the props Saban up, the less pressure on him to beat Alabaman, and if/when he ever does, he'll look like a god to the Ole Miss fans.

No loss position for him.
Very wise observation Grasshopper. Lane has a loss coming this coming weekend too, resounding loss I predict.