Issues with Polls and an Idea to Fix them

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I have a problem with the AP and Coaches' Poll. It's that the preseason rankings far too strongly influence subsequent ranks. I mean, maybe Ohio State is that good, but what reason do they have for ranking them for the last few weeks?

I think the problem with these polls is that they are not independent. People base their new poll rankings on their previous rankings and move things around based on the results of the week. But is that really giving us the most accurate state of the game? I think not. So, I offer up this proposed solution:

I would like to see Pollsters rotate each week. (This would be harder for Coaches, but just something to prevent sequential ranking by the same people.) In my opinion, this would help to make sure polls are actually independent.

So, submitted for you approval. Poke holes, let me know what I failed to consider.

Roll Tide.

PS I don't think we're ranked poorly. I don't even think Georgia's rank is bad. This is just a problem I have with the rankings in general.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have a problem with the AP and Coaches' Poll. It's that the preseason rankings far too strongly influence subsequent ranks. I mean, maybe Ohio State is that good, but what reason do they have for ranking them for the last few weeks?

I think the problem with these polls is that they are not independent. People base their new poll rankings on their previous rankings and move things around based on the results of the week. But is that really giving us the most accurate state of the game? I think not. So, I offer up this proposed solution:

I would like to see Pollsters rotate each week. (This would be harder for Coaches, but just something to prevent sequential ranking by the same people.) In my opinion, this would help to make sure polls are actually independent.

So, submitted for you approval. Poke holes, let me know what I failed to consider.

Roll Tide.

PS I don't think we're ranked poorly. I don't even think Georgia's rank is bad. This is just a problem I have with the rankings in general.

Your objection had more merit before the CFP; now, not so much because they reshuffle the deck. The rankings early on are a travesty and a joke. After all, Bob Toledo has a win (at UCLA) on his resume over a top 5 team, #3 ranked Alabama in the 2000 opener.

That's called a sick joke, and it's why I never take the "but coach so and so has a 17-5 record against Top 5 teams." I only count those if they do it at the end of the season. 1984 Pitt looked GREAT on BYU's schedule, which is why they got a pop for beating them. But the Panthers wound up 3-7-1, so BYU's win was really a sick joke, but they benefited from it.

What you're saying WAS true pre-playoff, but it's no longer an issue.

Reactions: Con

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Now that we have the playoff, the AP and Coaches' polls are just for fun and conversation. Nothing matters until the playoff ranking comes out.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
Now that we have the playoff, the AP and Coaches' polls are just for fun and conversation. Nothing matters until the playoff ranking comes out.
That's true but I think OP point was that the polls that matter are influenced by the polls that no longer do. It shows how much of a sham it is when teams are ranked highly that haven't played a snap based on name or what happened last year(see LSU).

Reactions: Tubafore

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
You want to see stupid, go look at ESPN's FPI ranking. How can a power index include teams that haven't even played and rank them higher then teams that have played. OSU is #2 while 4-0 Bama is #3 and OSU hasn't even walked onto a field. If the CFP committee were to have this mindset, OSU wouldn't even have to play a game to make it.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Roll Tide.

Rotating would be inconsistent and eventually would lead to Chaos.

At this point in the season they mean nothing. They do lead to lots of discussion, which is the intent...😎

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's the dirty little secret - once the BCS came along, the polls were a partial joke. Once the CFP came along, any poll prior to the LAST CFP poll is a partial joke, and any poll prior to the FIRST CFP is a COMPLETE joke.

They just put numbers there so people have something to discuss. Seriously. Besides, the CFP committee has made it clear they will hop from argument to argument with zero consistency to support whomever they select. That's why your only safe route is to win all your games and take it out of their hands.

The best thing about the CFP playoff is NEVER AGAIN will an unbeaten SEC team be deprived of opportunity for the championship. It will never happen. Same with the other power conferences. Lose once, well, your fault.

But the polls are a ratings grabbing joke. For all we know, UCF was #1 until they played Memphis.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Here's the dirty little secret - once the BCS came along, the polls were a partial joke. Once the CFP came along, any poll prior to the LAST CFP poll is a partial joke, and any poll prior to the FIRST CFP is a COMPLETE joke.

They just put numbers there so people have something to discuss. Seriously. Besides, the CFP committee has made it clear they will hop from argument to argument with zero consistency to support whomever they select. That's why your only safe route is to win all your games and take it out of their hands.

The best thing about the CFP playoff is NEVER AGAIN will an unbeaten SEC team be deprived of opportunity for the championship. It will never happen. Same with the other power conferences. Lose once, well, your fault.

But the polls are a ratings grabbing joke. For all we know, UCF was #1 until they played Memphis.
You've got to be joking Selma

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.