It's a myth that Bama just replaces one 5 star with another

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Based on the depth chart (mostly 2 deep, 12 positions, shared slots) just released and 247 composite rankings:
Defense: 6 five stars, 19 four stars, 3 three stars or walk-on
Offense: 6-21-4
Total: 12-40-7

Starters (12 on offense and defense):
Defense: 2-10-0
Offense: 5-6-1
Total: 7-16-1

Note: if a player is listed at multiple positions, I counted him once.

Note: last year before the injuries the distribution was similar with different players.

There's much more development/coaching than those unfamiliar with the program know.

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I'm not sure this really "disproves" anything. When people say we replace "one 5 star with another" they aren't speaking literally. They're referencing the fact that our recruiting leaves us loaded with talent all the way through the depth chart and subsequently injuries, the NFL, graduation etc. don't hurt as much as other teams because we're so loaded... Which is obviously true.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Considering there are less than forty 5* players each year and Alabama doesn't sign solely 5* players, I'm pretty sure no one seriously believed it anyway.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Considering there are less than forty 5* players each year and Alabama doesn't sign solely 5* players, I'm pretty sure no one seriously believed it anyway.
True... but for several years now a good bit of the 4-Stars we sign are 6.0 on the Rivals scale. That's almost a 5-Star (6.1).

Then we develop talent so well that a lot of the 5.8 and 5.9 4-Stars produce like you hope a 5-Star would.

We are filthy rich with Talent. It's Great.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Oh, there are many who believe that, including media commentators. I've encountered many. Not "solely" but "mostly". Not nearly as many on this board, though even here there are a few.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
From 2012 thru 2017 these are the top 5 star numbers:

Alabama … 29
Georgia …..10
USC ……….. 9
LSU ………… 9
Clemson …. 6

When looked at like this it seems we plug and play five stars.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Oh, there are many who believe that, including media commentators. I've encountered many. Not "solely" but "mostly". Not nearly as many on this board, though even here there are a few.
Correct. I know many non-Bama fans who claim that is all we sign period.

macabear

Dec 30, 2006
The one thing that Nick Saban does that no other coach can match, he is able to get more from "average" players. As well, he is able to harness the potential in "MOST" of the highly regarded recruits. Some 5 star players are just never going to live up to their potential.

I guess I see it like this: If you can't develop them, it doesn't matter how many starts they have..

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
From 2012 thru 2017 these are the top 5 star numbers:

Alabama … 29
Georgia …..10
USC ……….. 9
LSU ………… 9
Clemson …. 6

When looked at like this it seems we plug and play five stars.
You're right that Bama signed more than others during that period, but that's 29 out of 152 players, i.e., 123 of 152 were not five star players. But I wasn't comparing Bama to others. Just noting that the vast majority of their players were not the very best recruits in the country.

As was noted in the OP, 7 of 24 O and D starters are five stars, 17 are not; 12 of the 59 on the depth chart are five stars, 47 are not.

Alabama certainly has a lot of raw material to work with, but their primary genius is the physical, attitudinal and mental development as well as the original evaluation. Also, finding the role that best makes use of each player's strengths. They are football bright and tough, mentally and physically. That is where Bama wins. That is the primary point I was trying to make.

This was part of Saban's frustration when he said (paraphrase) "everyone just thinks we s*** out another player when one goes down". There's a lot more to it than that.

They don't just roll out the most physically gifted and say "sic 'em". IMO, LSU was more athletically gifted from 08-15, and OSU probably has had the most football gifted talent since Meyer arrived in 12. But look who does most of the winning. IMO, Alabama is probably more athletically gifted now than ever in their history and with Tua, more football gifted too.

Note: I made a mistake on the OP. There are 5 five stars on the starting offense, not 4. There are 6 five stars total on defense, not 5. I've corrected them.There are probably other mistakes :).

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I don't think it's the abundance of 5-stars, it is the number of 4-stars. Alabama doesn't generally have to "ooach up" players(like many schools do with raw talent, two stars, etc), or recruit project players. The old adage applies: Bama doesn't rebuild, they just reload.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.