JessN: It’s time for the NCAA to go

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
JESSN: It’s time for the NCAA to go
By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief
August 16, 2020

The great Cecil Hurt, who has been carrying the scepter of wisdom in the field of Southern sports commentary for so many years now that it’s covered by his homeowners policy, once got off such an appropriate set of adjectives while describing the NCAA that the rest of us, because we couldn’t do any better, just stole them: “arbitrary and capricious.”

CONTINUE READING

Last edited by a moderator:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
JESSN: It’s time for the NCAA to go
By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief
August 16, 2020

The great Cecil Hurt, who has been carrying the scepter of wisdom in the field of Southern sports commentary for so many years now that it’s covered by his homeowners policy, once got off such an appropriate set of adjectives while describing the NCAA that the rest of us, because we couldn’t do any better, just stole them: “arbitrary and capricious.”

CONTINUE READING
Preaching to the choir. ;)
Surly we can find/form a group that will give fair treatment, and display better judgement.
On this forum, our members have suggested hundreds of ideas for improvements. If those ideas ever went forward, they fell on deaf ears.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
"Five conferences, 16 teams apiece, 80 total teams in FBS. An eight-team playoff with each of the five conference champions plus three at-large teams. "

I liked everything you said as well. I still see politics being involved in choosing the 3 at large teams. If the 3 remaining best at-large teams are all from the same conference then pick them to make the 8 team playoff.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Can I borrow your crystal ball that tells you that breaking away will definitely improve things.

I am just saying they need to really study the impact on athletics as a whole before taking this step.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Can I borrow your crystal ball that tells you that breaking away will definitely improve things.

I am just saying they need to really study the impact on athletics as a whole before taking this step.
Sure, it's the same crystal ball that says the NCAA has sucked for 20 years+...ask Brian Bosworth...

Reactions: BamaDenver

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The way I envision it could make things worse if the schools that leave the NCAA (ie. P5) decide to behave like the old Big 8. However, the NCAA has been so arbitrary and capricious for so long now that one might say THEY are CURRENTLY behaving akin to the Big 8. I'm willing to have the NCAA kicked to the curb for P5. Let their corrupt lesser brains supervise the lesser schools.

What about basketball you ask? Well, what about it? P5 only play P5. Too bad for everybody else.

If the P5 wanted to add 15 schools that don't currently play D1 football, or are in the G5, I think we can have enough teams that we don't really worry about not having Ganzaga or Iona or St. Joe's in the tourney. Sure, those games can be fun to watch, but, meh, I'm 98.73% football first and especially when it comes to non-Bama basketball.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The NCAA doesn't mandate other sports and Title IX is federal law, so I don't know what you're envisioning.
The NCAA mandates we sponsor a certain number of sports. I think FBS schools must sponsor 16.

I am not trying to say the NCAA is wonderful. I just don’t know if breaking away and forming a private club will make it better.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.