It's Time to End the "War on Drugs"

BamaInCummingGA

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
No doubt, but prohibition makes the situation exponentially worse on many fronts. Anyone who denies that has either not studied the issue or hasn't taken their own head out of the sand.

Prohibition has caused an impure and adulterated product more likely to kill those who use it, gangs and their violence, incarceration that destroys multiple generations, and has wasted billions upon billions of dollars. Despite all that the illegal drug market is still stronger than ever. Time to do something different.
Of course the drug trade is stronger than ever. There are more people using and the same ol sabre rattling from politicians who have absolutely no desire to shut the drugs down due to money and power. I would even go so far to say (without hard facts to back it up) that a lot of the money collected in taxes that are supposed to go towards fighting this drug war is really diverted elsewhere. It's a scam.

NationalTitles17

Super Moderator
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Of course the drug trade is stronger than ever. There are more people using and the same ol sabre rattling from politicians who have absolutely no desire to shut the drugs down due to money and power. I would even go so far to say (without hard facts to back it up) that a lot of the money collected in taxes that are supposed to go towards fighting this drug war is really diverted elsewhere. It's a scam.
Amen to that! An expensive and deadly scam intent on depriving people of life, property, and liberty.

Reactions: Bodhisattva

NationalTitles17

Super Moderator
May 25, 2003
A couple of TED Talks on the subject:

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Beer is actually far, far more damaging to one's health (and our communal healthcare resources) than pot is. Same with tobacco. Pot should be legalized nationwide as the reefer madness generation declines. And as more states drink from the sweet, sweet fountain of additional tax revenue, the federal government will soon follow.

As always, lobbyist money (in this case, the tobacco lobby that somehow managed to get weed classified alongside heroin) protects corporate interests over the interests and freedom of individuals. Find a way to reduce, cap, and publicly monitor public servant campaign contributions, and watch as these types of pro-corporate, anti-individual policies melt away.
While I have come to the point I wouldn’t oppose pot being legal, I don’t think it would be the financial bonanza some expect. Politicians would just find a way to waste it.

NationalTitles17

Super Moderator
May 25, 2003
While I have come to the point I wouldn’t oppose pot being legal, I don’t think it would be the financial bonanza some expect. Politicians would just find a way to waste it.
CA has found a way to screw it up by over-taxing and over-regulating it and screwing over small businesses while making it easier for bigger corporations. Other states have done better.

Decriminalizing alone would be a boon. Politicians seem to find new ways tp waste money.

Reactions: Bodhisattva

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If I am advising Biden, I would tell him to say making it legal is “worth talking about” and that he is “exploring all options” on drug policy.

That is a bunch of political gobblitygook, but it lets him look like he might make it legal without actually saying that.

Have any other candidates (that actually have a chance at the nomination) said they would push for full legalization?

Reactions: NationalTitles17

NationalTitles17

Super Moderator
May 25, 2003
If I am advising Biden, I would tell him to say making it legal is “worth talking about” and that he is “exploring all options” on drug policy.

That is a bunch of political gobblitygook, but it lets him look like he might make it legal without actually saying that.

Have any other candidates (that actually have a chance at the nomination) said they would push for full legalization?
IIRC, every other democratic candidate has voiced support for just that in regards to cannabis and Pete has voiced support for decriminalization across the board, which makes sense to me.

• Thank You
Reactions: Crimson1967

Latest threads