Jaden Shackelford testing the NBA waters

Rockettman

Mar 15, 2021
I hope Josh has a 20-year NBA career. That said, there were many people on this board who claimed last year that he was a one-and-done. Using that unrealistic lens -- but man, folks here use it a lot -- his first year was a disappointment. His shooting percentages were average and, to me, he never fully adjusted to the strength and speed of the college game. He's got ability and ample potential. But based on what I've seen, I think, he's two years away. If I'm wrong, I'm buying the crow.
I agree with this. Based on this years performance he is a couple of years away, but I definitely think the potential is there.

BamaMike05

All-SEC
Jul 4, 2009
Madison, Alabama, United States
I hope Josh has a 20-year NBA career. That said, there were many people on this board who claimed last year that he was a one-and-done. Using that unrealistic lens -- but man, folks here use it a lot -- his first year was a disappointment. His shooting percentages were average and, to me, he never fully adjusted to the strength and speed of the college game. He's got ability and ample potential. But based on what I've seen, I think, he's two years away. If I'm wrong, I'm buying the crow.
Primo shot 38.1% from 3, 43.8 % overall, and 75% from the FT line. That is definitely not “average”. On top of that, he is one of the best defenders on the team. I am in agreement that he is not NBA ready. I think he is one year away, not two. But to say he was a disappointment means you had unrealistic expectations for him.

Reactions: imauafan

CrimsonEyeshade

All-American
Nov 6, 2007
A clarification on your comment, Mike. I said multiple folks forecast Josh as a one-year player, which I believe was unrealistic, and it was certainly shown to be.

We both hope he takes a big leap forward in the coming year. Where we differ: I think Josh has farther to go to be included in credible discussions about first-round picks. Again, I'd be happy to be wrong.

Reactions: BamaMike05

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i never saw him as a 1 and done coming out of high school. doubtful he'd be drafted however He did show flashes of NBA potential but of course thats not going to be good enough. Hopefully his year to year progress is more in line with Kira and not JP..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He was 17 when he took the court for us, as was Kira. Kira showed more in his first year, IMO, than Josh and was a more realistic 1&D. Kira benefited from the 2nd year and maturity. So will Josh. I sometimes worry that the NBA drafts immaturity/potential on purpose because they can get it at a discount...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Serious question, and I mean this in no disrespect to anyone in here. But; a lot of you in here claim to not follow or watch NBA at all in here, but then say that so and so isn’t a draftable player or will never make it in the NBA.

if you aren’t watching the NBA, then how do you know what current NBA players look like or what skill set they look for? If you are 6’6 and above, can shoot from 3, can handle the ball enough to not turn it over, and guard at least 3 different positions there is a great chance that you will make an NBA roster. Primo checks every box of an NBA player. He is actually ranked 38 on ESPN’s draft board for this year. This means he will likely go in the 2nd round if he stays in the draft. If he comes back (which he should IMO) he will likely move himself into a first round draft pick.
I agree with what you are saying about Primo but think it will be next year. ESPN's opinion is an outlier.

I know that the NBA often drafts based primarily on potential but IMO, Primo has not shown enough to be taken in the first round this year and every mock draft I've seen concurs, even ESPN. Two show him as pick 170-173, which is probably preposterous. But it would be shocking to me if he were to be taken in the first round. Who knows how he will develop but hopefully he will quickly progress to be a desirable first round pick - but IMO, it will be next year and even that is not guaranteed.

Reactions: BamaMike05

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Lol we have officially hijacked the Shack thread with the Primo convo. I'm going to post some insight over on Primo's thread to help give context on why Primo was initially considered a possible one-and-done situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: day-day

Latest threads