Jaden Shackelford testing the NBA waters

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I hope it's just for the feedback...
It's for feedback, I wont be surprised to see a few more guys add their names as well. They are doing the same just like Herb and Petty did last year. CNO alluded that it's a good way for the players to find out what they need to improve on for next season.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It's for feedback, I wont be surprised to see a few more guys add their names as well. They are doing the same just like Herb and Petty did last year. CNO alluded that it's a good way for the players to find out what they need to improve on for next season.
I get it. But why make a “thank you” post. I know it’s in fashion. He’s obviously not ready. I guess it’s an ego thing. So I hope something great comes from it.

Hope he’s got his head on straight. Seems like he does.

He doesn’t get much love from the Coaches or Sportswriters much. Hopefully that changes this year too

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
He said he was not going to hire an agent. I suspect he will be back and will show marked improvement which will significantly raise his stock for next year.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Could be a thing like when your parents (or coach, in this case) told you what you needed to do, and you blew it off as them nagging. Then, when somebody who holds the keys to your future (like an NBA scout) says the same thing, what your parents / coach had been telling you all along suddenly becomes gospel.

Hearing the same thing from the NBA that your coach has been telling you for months could even make the coach’s job easier....which might be why Pearl encourages them to explore their NBA options. He knows they’re going to tell the kids the same thing he’s been trying to pound into their heads, “You’re not ready yet. To get ready, you need to get better on X, Y, and Z.”

Reactions: NationalTitles18

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Could be a thing like when your parents (or coach, in this case) told you what you needed to do, and you blew it off as them nagging. Then, when somebody who holds the keys to your future (like an NBA scout) says the same thing, what your parents / coach had been telling you all along suddenly becomes gospel.

Hearing the same thing from the NBA that your coach has been telling you for months could even make the coach’s job easier....which might be why Pearl encourages them to explore their NBA options. He knows they’re going to tell the kids the same thing he’s been trying to pound into their heads, “You’re not ready yet. To get ready, you need to get better on X, Y, and Z.”
That is really the way I figured it. Shack's weaknesses are all hung out for the world to see. Of course, everyone always has something which can be improved on. I was certain that Kira was gone after one but he enhanced his draft stock by returning...

Reactions: BAMAVILLE

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn

Your correct, kind of like a certain football coach tells some players!!

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
IMO, this is just routine, the same as Jones and Petty last year. Get an evaluation on where you stand in the draft. With only 2 rounds and 56 spots, it will be tough, IMO, for he or Q to get drafted. Hopefully, both young men do not keep their names in the draft or hire an agent. It would be sad to see them play overseas or in the G League. Return for another year with CNO, work on things that need to be improved and increase your draft stock for next year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think we'll see him back next year.

I don't watch enough NBA anymore to be good at this, but I question if his game is NBA worthy at this point.

I question if he's dynamic enough of the dribble to be able to transition to the next level right now as a shooting guard (2).

I think his one hope is to become more lethal from 3 range. He's got an unconventional shot, but it's his shot and he can probably get better.

Reactions: mlingerfelt31

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we'll see him back next year.

I don't watch enough NBA anymore to be good at this, but I question if his game is NBA worthy at this point.

I question if he's dynamic enough of the dribble to be able to transition to the next level right now as a shooting guard (2).

I think his one hope is to become more lethal from 3 range. He's got an unconventional shot, but it's his shot and he can probably get better.
I assume the coaches are letting him shoot it as he wants and is comfortable. Personally, I don't see how he hits, with his body rotating like that...

Reactions: TexasBama

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
That is really the way I figured it. Shack's weaknesses are all hung out for the world to see. Of course, everyone always has something which can be improved on. I was certain that Kira was gone after one but he enhanced his draft stock by returning...
I don't think Lewis was eligible for the NBA draft just after his first season because of his age. HIs second year likely improved his position had he been eligible his first year.

I agree on Shackelford. I don't believe he would get drafted this year but maybe next year after another season coupled with some improvements in his game. Hearing what he needs to improve on from another group of experts will only help. It may even help when working with Coach Oats and company.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think Lewis was eligible for the NBA draft just after his first season because of his age. HIs second year likely improved his position had he been eligible his first year.

I agree on Shackelford. I don't believe he would get drafted this year but maybe next year after another season coupled with some improvements in his game. Hearing what he needs to improve on from another group of experts will only help. It may even help when working with Coach Oats and company.
TBF, IDK how the rule works. LeBron and others have gone straight from HS to NBA. Perhaps, if you ever matriculate, you have to spend one year...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
TBF, IDK how the rule works. LeBron and others have gone straight from HS to NBA. Perhaps, if you ever matriculate, you have to spend one year...
From what I see. The NBA rule is 19. LeBron was 18 when drafted from what I read. So there had to be a rule change at some point.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The current NBA rule is the player has to be at least 19 years old during the year of the draft. I don't know if this was the rule when Labron James was drafted but he still fits because even though he was 18 at the time of the draft, he turned 19 on December 30 in the year he was drafted.

This is why Primo is eligible for the NBA draft this year. He turns 19 in December.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Makes sense for Shackelford to get some input to improve his draft stock. If the feedback he gets helps him improve his consistency, then it will benefit both him and the team going forward.

Reactions: seebell

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.