Jahleel Billingsly creates matchups problems...

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
He was very impressive last night and creates matchups problems. See him getting more involved in the passing game going forward

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Right now he is just like a big receiver - think Irv. Alabama needs him to develop into a better blocker. They had to sub for him on running plays, which gave away those plays.
Not trying to be Pollyanna on this board. (I have had a abnormally large amount of sunshine pumping post today.) but being a big receiver maybe all we need him to be this year. I agree with you about him developing in the run blocking aspect. We need to get forristal back healthy though.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
Not trying to be Pollyanna on this board. (I have had a abnormally large amount of sunshine pumping post today.) but being a big receiver maybe all we need him to be this year. I agree with you about him developing in the run blocking aspect. We need to get forristal back healthy though.
I agree as well , him being an option in the pass game and flexing him out forces teams into nickel and he blocks DB’s instead of backers.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Right now he is just like a big receiver - think Irv. Alabama needs him to develop into a better blocker. They had to sub for him on running plays, which gave away those plays.
I agree. if Carl Tucker came in, we knew it was going to be quick passes or a run play. I think He will be a better blocker, but I also see lot of potential to where we could flex him out often and create a mismatch occasionally.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Does he need to get bigger or stay where he is weight wise? He is a little thin for an SEC TE.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
he is 6"4, 230lbs. He is a junior.

I think it's good to have Physical TE, but at same time we needs athletic TE that stretch the field in a big way. I think Jahleel can block, but I don't think he's being asked to do that. I think more and more teams are starting to use TE in a different way beside blocking and Saban probably realizes that.

I came across this: Tight End | Football Positional Guidelines | Go Big Recruiting

Coach Keys:
Have a great combination of size & speed, and must change the LOS at the point of attack. Soft hands. Needs to be able to stretch the field vertically. Demonstrates explosive physicality. Can find the open window in zone and separates from man coverage. Shows the ability to break tackles and gain yards after contact. He is a multiple year All-State player and in some cases an All-American.
He also runs 4.64. and he was recruited as Tight End-Y.
Definition for Tight End -Y

The tight end (Y Receiver) is one of the receivers on the field with split end (X Receiver) and the flanker (Z Receiver). The tight end will be positioned on the line of scrimmage or off the line of scrimmage based on which of the other receivers he is paired up with.
Another Good Example here:

H back TEs are your Jordan Reeds of the NFL. They line up behind the LOS, smaller TEs and can block but because of their size they do not match up well. They excel at attacking the middle of the field. Best best prospect for that is Evan Engram. I'm not sure who does that, I think McMillon, Latu does this.. they rarely go out attacking the field though.)

Single Back TEs are your do it all TE and usually the bigger of TEs. Think Gronk or Eifert. They line up next to the tackle inline and can block edge defenders as well as be excellent run blockers. On top of their blocking they can attack the middle of the field as receivers and are match-up nightmares. This is your OJ Howard of a prospect (Carl Tucker, Cameron Latu, Miller Forristall)

Finally are your flex TEs. This is the Jimmy Grahams of the NFL who are pure receivers. They rarely have blocking assignments but are match up nightmares anywhere on the field. Best prospect for that is Njoku.
(Jahleel Billingsley)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
he is 6"4, 230lbs. He is a junior.

I think it's good to have Physical TE, but at same time we needs athletic TE that stretch the field in a big way. I think Jahleel can block, but I don't think he's being asked to do that. I think more and more teams are starting to use TE in a different way beside blocking and Saban probably realizes that.

I came across this: Tight End | Football Positional Guidelines | Go Big Recruiting

He also runs 4.64. and he was recruited as Tight End-Y.
Definition for Tight End -Y

Another Good Example here:
He is Najee's weight, but watch Najee block and then watch Jahleel block. It isn't his size - he just doesn't know how to block. He doesn't try to get low and use leverage - he uses extended arms.

He is a great route runner and pass catcher. But Alabama likes to be able to run or pass out of every formation and with every personnel grouping. When Billingsly is on the field, running becomes more difficult.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It is odd because even our receivers are good blockers. Which now that I think about it might explain why some of the freshmen are not getting much PT.
BINGO! I think most of the young guys are likely ready from a pure receiver standpoint, but we have a bigger expectation than that, especially as much as we throw short routes to the edges as it's the WR blocking that turns a short throw and catch into a bigger play with YAC. Same with RBs also.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Bolden is questionable for the Iron Bowl (ankle) and Forristall is still MIA. What is the lineup this week regarding receivers. Will Billingsly be used as a wr or as a tight end and who else will probably fill in the roles?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.