Jay Barker Arrested

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I don’t like that he was charged based on witness testimony from two people who would benefit from the charges.

You want to put him in the tank to cool off because he was stupid enough to come back? Fine, I’m all for preventing a domestic dispute from turning into a tragedy. What I’m not okay with is charging him with a crime, and making him pay money to get out of jail based on witness accounts of someone who can benefit from this charging. Not to mention the fact that should nothing come of this the article that the charges were dropped will be much smaller than the article about him being charged is.
That's the way DV law works.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Looking back, the John Madden thread about his death had 39 Posts.

This thread is getting very close to Henry Ruggs territory.

Both of those stories were genuine tragedies. (Madden’s death not really a tragedy but you get the point).
This one feels more like water cooler gossip at the moment. If for no other reason, no one knows anything other than some fairly vague statements on a police report.
Madden also didn't play football at Alabama.

Ruggs and Barker did.

:)

But as normal, this seems to be splitting up based on how one’s marriage history went. ;)
Not a surprise any more than how any other social problem is viewed - although you'll note my comment was in blue to make light of it, too.

The plethora of women who (no doubt) had been victims of domestic violence - every single one of them "knew" what happened with Gabby Petito when evidence shows that other than her dying, they got most of it wrong - and continued to get it completely wrong to the point that Laundrie's parents and the FBI are part of a cover-up because their suspicions didn't play out.

I really don't want to flirt any more with NS territory at this point, so I'll cease the social comment.

In the larger picture, it just saddens me on multiple levels. More so with Jay simply because I quit listening to any "new" country music about 25 years ago so I only know Sara Evans's name and her CDs that I used to see for sale when I frequented Cracker Barrel (which has also been awhile).

But it's still sad on all levels.

Obviously not the same, but I prefer to choose to remember QUARTERBACK Mike Shula, who guided the comebacks against Jawja and Auburn in 1985 to COACH Mike Shula, who had more close calls than a home plate umpire working a Greg Maddux game.

Reactions: TiderJack

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Obviously not the same, but I prefer to choose to remember QUARTERBACK Mike Shula, who guided the comebacks against Jawja and Auburn in 1985 to COACH Mike Shula, who had more close calls than a home plate umpire working a Greg Maddux game.
Sadly I have been on this frame of mind with regards to Jay for a long, long time. I never cared for his radio personality.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Sadly I have been on this frame of mind with regards to Jay for a long, long time. I never cared for his radio personality.
I agree, Jay was distant third in intellect and skill on the show to Tony and Al. And; more than a few times he lost his cool with callers that he did not agree with; showing some level of insecurity. Jay Barkers career has been "Being Jay Barker". If "Being Jay Barker' becomes a liability; well....

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree, Jay was distant third in intellect and skill on the show to Tony and Al. And; more than a few times he lost his cool with callers that he did not agree with; showing some level of insecurity. Jay Barkers career has been "Being Jay Barker". If "Being Jay Barker' becomes a liability; well....
"being buck belue" just jumped up a notch

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Agreed. Jay has a cockiness that can rub some the wrong way. He always wore a hat even on the red carpet with Sarah because he was prematurely balding and that is a level of insecurity as well. Jay is a Bama legend but he has lack of judgment and insecurities like all of us do.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think this is a very wise thing to do with all people in the entertainment/sports industry and any celebrity in general.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Agreed. Jay has a cockiness that can rub some the wrong way. He always wore a hat even on the red carpet with Sarah because he was prematurely balding and that is a level of insecurity as well. Jay is a Bama legend but he has lack of judgment and insecurities like all of us do.
I don't have any insecurities and how dare you say I do!

• Haha
Reactions: TiderJack

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
One year probation.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
One year probation.

Either he tried to killer or he didn’t. If he truly tried to kill her, then one year probation is stupid

If he just tried to scare her, but no one was truly in danger, then I guess this fits. But he obviously didn’t try to kill her.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Either he tried to killer or he didn’t. If he truly tried to kill her, then one year probation is stupid

If he just tried to scare her, but no one was truly in danger, then I guess this fits. But he obviously didn’t try to kill her.
Barker was never charged with attempted murder, just aggravated assault. If the prosecutors believed he had tried to kill anybody, I doubt he would have had the opportunity to plead down to reckless endangerment.

The fact remains, though, it was an incredibly stupid and juvenile thing to do. Sounds like something an entitled high school jock would try — to what end, I don’t know….it’s not like you’re going to win the girl back by scaring her.

I wonder if, contrary to the image he tries to portray, he might have been drinking.

Side note: I’ve heard, “Nothing good happens after [fill in the time 10:00, midnight, whatever],“ since I was a kid, and my parents talked like their parents told it to them. I don’t know where it originated, but it’s far older than Saban.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Barker was never charged with attempted murder, just aggravated assault. If the prosecutors believed he had tried to kill anybody, I doubt he would have had the opportunity to plead down to reckless endangerment.

The fact remains, though, it was an incredibly stupid and juvenile thing to do. Sounds like something an entitled high school jock would try — to what end, I don’t know….it’s not like you’re going to win the girl back by scaring her.

I wonder if, contrary to the image he tries to portray, he might have been drinking.

Side note: I’ve heard, “Nothing good happens after [fill in the time 10:00, midnight, whatever],“ since I was a kid, and my parents talked like their parents told it to them. I don’t know where it originated, but it’s far older than Saban.
Your side note is also very true. How many people have received a GOOD news phone call late night/early morning? And yes, it`s an old truism.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I thought at the time he just got mad and slammed on the gas. I don’t know how close he came to actually hitting someone but he didn’t so I’m fine with the outcome. Hopefully he doesn’t ever contact her again except through his attorney.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
True, but if you want most Bama fans to pay attention to something, you have to tell them Saban said it.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.