JD went off last night

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It's early and it's summer league but JD looked like a star pro player last night. He has 28 pts and quite a few rebounds, steals and assists. Showed his speed. Going to be tough to get a lot of playing time in Boston but the future looks bright for JD.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
Frustrating.
I can only surmise what your comment means, but I take it that you are referring to his performance this past season.

I know it was frustrating for me to watch him play this past year. For all the reasons, everyone has already stated. I don't think anyone here discounts his talent or potential. But that's the very cause of my frustration.

I got the distinct impression he was holding back, at times, in deference to the veterans - namely Shack and JQ - but that was just my impression.

Also, I got the impression that JD did not feel at liberty to play "his" game. It almost appeared that when he was on a roll, the others weren't rolling with him.

All of the above has to be seasoned with the glaring point that he did not seem to be quite mentally prepared for SEC basketball, and did not seem to completely adjust as the year went on - especially his ball handling skills.

Just my impressions - I could be very wrong - my wife often tells me that I am :)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw a video highlight of some of that game. I don't remember him playing that fast and aggressive in one game last year at Bama...

If he blows up as a first year pro, it'll just confirm even more that I don't understand the NBA draft.

• Haha
Reactions: teamplayer

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I can only surmise what your comment means, but I take it that you are referring to his performance this past season.

I know it was frustrating for me to watch him play this past year. For all the reasons, everyone has already stated. I don't think anyone here discounts his talent or potential. But that's the very cause of my frustration.

I got the distinct impression he was holding back, at times, in deference to the veterans - namely Shack and JQ - but that was just my impression.

Also, I got the impression that JD did not feel at liberty to play "his" game. It almost appeared that when he was on a roll, the others weren't rolling with him.

All of the above has to be seasoned with the glaring point that he did not seem to be quite mentally prepared for SEC basketball, and did not seem to completely adjust as the year went on - especially his ball handling skills.

Just my impressions - I could be very wrong - my wife often tells me that I am :)
You got it right.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
JD is playing like he did vs Gonzaga. He isn’t thinking, just reacting.

However, there are no real defensive gameplans. I am happy for him but, I am anxious to see how he does when teams are actually in game planning and scouting report mode.

The defensive 3 second rule and the wider lane helps him tremendously. He also would have been better if we wouldn’t have forgotten how to shoot.

Reactions: TexasBama

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
JD is playing like he did vs Gonzaga. He isn’t thinking, just reacting.

However, there are no real defensive gameplans. I am happy for him but, I am anxious to see how he does when teams are actually in game planning and scouting report mode.

The defensive 3 second rule and the wider lane helps him tremendously. He also would have been better if we wouldn’t have forgotten how to shoot.
I noticed that after the Gonzaga game teams started defending him differently and it caused him to become tentative. Both Memphis and Houston realized that JD would drive to goal, leave his feet, and then instead of shooting he would kick out to wing almost every time, so they started defending the wing. Once that part of his game was taken away, he wasn't able to adjust quickly enough and had a long stretch where he was mostly ineffective. I don't think he ever learned how to play without the ball in his hands and at times would not even be paying attention to what was going on (i.e. he was not an alpha dog looking to get the ball back). Later in the season his outside shot seemed to come around some and he also would drive to the goal and shoot instead of always be looking to pass. He did show an ability to kiss the ball high off the glass for a layup when he did this that he didn't seem to have early on in the season. There were glimpses of what he could do at times at that is what is frustrating, knowing that he could have been so much more had he stuck around for one more year and dedicated himself to working on his deficiencies. It isn't that he can't be a good NBA player, it's whether or not he can adjust and adapt quickly to whatever the defense throws at him (as you said in your post). The physical ability is there, he just has to have the work ethic and dedication to learning from his coaches and teammates to have a successful career. I hope it works out for him.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Bama players doing well.

Boston Celtics guard JD Davison (Calhoun School, Alabama) averaged 13.0 points, 4.8 rebounds, 8.2 assists, 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocks in five games.
Davison had 41 assists as the Celtics went 3-2 in Las Vegas. Davison had 10 more assists than any other player in summer-league action this year.

New Orleans Pelicans guard John Petty Jr. (Mae Jemison High School in Huntsville, Alabama) averaged 7.2 points, 5.2 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.4 steals in five games.
·
San Antonio Spurs guard Josh Primo (Alabama) averaged 15.0 points, 2.5 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.0 blocks in two games.

Oklahoma City Thunder guard Jaden Shackelford (Alabama) averaged 13.5 points, 2.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists in two games

· Sacramento Kings guard Keon Ellis (Alabama) averaged 12.8 points, 2.5 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 2.3 steals in four games.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.