Link: Jeff Banks joining Sarkisian

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
My question is if Golding moves on, does Karl Scott get a look at DC before Charlie Strong? We can't afford to lose him and Banks with how well they recruit.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It won't. Banks has been our ST coach since 2018. Kicking wasn't great until this year.
The kicking is great because of the kicker.

As for the staff gutting, there are 2 sides to this coin. Coach Saban can say don't gut my staff, but what can Sark do if the coaches want to go with him? You can't "make" someone work for you... So to me, I'm more upset with the coaches leaving. I'm upset with the whole damn thing.

Whether they want to follow him to Texas or not, I get the anger towards Sark too. Build your own damn staff.

SlackTide

Sep 26, 2018
Birmingham
Can't afford to lose any more guys IMO. Karl Scott deserves a solid look for DC at the very least if Golding departs. Depends on if Saban wants to take a chance on him or give a proven DC like Strong the reigns

Reactions: Tiderollin32

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Here is the thing about the recruiting, too. The recruiting is great because of Nick Saban.

Was Kyle Flood seen as a great recruiter before his stint here? I don't know. He was at Rutgers. How well can you recruit at Rutgers. Anyway now at Alabama he's great. By the way, if he's great at Texas it's going to be because it's Texas sitting smack dab in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting territories in the United States of America.

Reactions: UAllday and Con

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The kicking is great because of the kicker.

As for the staff gutting, there are 2 sides to this coin. Coach Saban can say don't gut my staff, but what can Sark do if the coaches want to go with him? You can't "make" someone work for you... So to me, I'm more upset with the coaches leaving. I'm upset with the whole damn thing.

Whether they want to follow him to Texas or not, I get the anger towards Sark too. Build your own damn staff.
Banks loss is as a great recruiter. Also, could lose Wheaton now.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I thought Saban does not allow assistants to leave for laterally jobs. If you leave, it better be for a promotion.

And second, my understanding is that Saban really likes Goulding (maybe I am misremembering), if that is the case, I think Saban will fight to keep Goulding at Bama.

Again, even with these additions, there is no guarantee Sark will be successful at Texas. What work at Bama may not work at Texas. That's something some of the guys that Sark is poaching needs to consider.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Banks loss is as a great recruiter. Also, could lose Wheaton now.
That's true. Yet these guys obviously get a massive boost with Nick Saban following to shore up their recruiting pitches. Nick Saban is "The MAN" here, not these assistants.

That said, I've no doubt their abilities are part of the equation. But they are far easier to replace than Coach Saban's. Wheaton could be a casualty of all this, sure, but there will be other 4/5 star RBs.

Trying to be positive.

Reactions: bamamc1

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I really don’t see these as earth shattering losses. I also don’t feel that Sark is doing any of this with malicious intent like Kirby did out the door.
Banks is a big time recruiting loss, especially in the state of Texas where Bama cleaned up this year. This probably hurts badly.

It's very difficult to assess motives - good, neutral or bad.

IMO, all of this is very disappointing in regard to Sarkisian. Flood was very understandable, though he is a great loss with regard to coaching and recruiting. Any others are a slap in the face and may really hurt. One in this thread has stated that Saban is upset which is understandable.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Bama always get good recruiters. And Bama always gets good assistants (some good, some stellar).

This happened basically every year and people get all worked up and then a year later no one even remembers the 'loss'.

If you can't sit back and trust that Saban will successfully navigate this by now, I don't know what to tell you...

As long as Saban is on the sideline, the Tide's gonna Roll!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.