Jerry Jeudy Arrested In Colorado (update: all charges dismissed)

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
This is one situation where the charges sound far worse than the facts of the case ( not implying that no crime was potentially committed). . The sheriff’s explanation was very helpful. I’ve handled many criminal and DV cases here in Maryland and never encountered anything,Ike this …where a wallet isn’t returned and a person is held without bond and it’s called domestic violence.
Live and learn.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
This is one situation where the charges sound far worse than the facts of the case ( not implying that no crime was potentially committed). . The sheriff’s explanation was very helpful. I’ve handled many criminal and DV cases here in Maryland and never encountered anything,Ike this …where a wallet isn’t returned and a person is held without bond and it’s called domestic violence.
Live and learn.
It's about the relationship, not the crime.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It's about the relationship, not the crime.
Violence is violence. This was not violence.

They put the man in jail when the woman also took his property and wouldn’t give it back, essentially the same “crime” Jeudy was accused of. The standard is flawed, as is throwing anyone in jail for obviously just a spat.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Violence is violence. This was not violence.

They put the man in jail when the woman also took his property and wouldn’t give it back, essentially the same “crime” Jeudy was accused of. The standard is flawed, as is throwing anyone in jail for obviously just a spat.
It qualifies as domestic violence because of the relationship between the parties, not because of the actual act. There are property crimes that fall under domestic violence statutes because of a current or former relationship between those involved.

Reactions: Con and TexasBama

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
This seems like mostly much ado about nothing, except, there is never a good reason to involve children in your domestic issues. Hopefully, that night in jail will deliver that message. Hope they get some privacy to work through their issues even if that means they need to go their separate ways.

Reactions: tideindc

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
This seems like mostly much ado about nothing, except, there is never a good reason to involve children in your domestic issues. Hopefully, that night in jail will deliver that message. Hope they get some privacy to work through their issues even if that means they need to go their separate ways.
She was leaving with the child to Virginia. All things considered locking her stuff in his car and refusing to give it back is probably the softest instance of domestic abuse I’ve ever heard of.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It qualifies as domestic violence because of the relationship between the parties, not because of the actual act. There are property crimes that fall under domestic violence statutes because of a current or former relationship between those involved.
My issue is with the word “violence” as ascribed to this incident. That word put the man in jail (not the woman, who did the same thing), and the apology will be much quieter than his arrest on “domestic violence” enhancer charges.

Let’s call it what it is, a dispute.

If it’s truly about the child he can petition the state to block her intent to relocate out of the state. He’s got the funds to do this legally, so that’s the avenue he should pursue.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Three things:

1. Charges and punishment should be proportional to the act. They aren’t here. The law in question is likely a result, at least in significant part, of the issue’s having been ignored so long
  2. I know ignorance of the law is no excuse, but there has to be some test. In tort law (which this isn’t), guilt requires that the defendant could reasonably have foreseen that his actions could lead to the consequence for which he’s being sued. As complex as our laws have become, I have to wonder if some similar test should apply. Everyone knows murder, theft, etc. are wrong. It isn’t unreasonable to think that Jerry was unaware that what he was doing was illegal, just as (judging from the comments in this thread) a plurality if not a majority of us was.
  3. Lawyers (of which I am not one) say that hard cases make bad law. I know from the personal experience of someone very close to me that, often, (a) physical violence is accompanied by (b) non-physical violence (smashing her cell phone) and (c) other behaviors like hiding her money and keys to prevent her leaving. In cases where (a) occurs, (b) and (c) absolutely should be enhancers (as with the case I have experience with). I’m guessing the reason for (b) and (c) is to increase the punishment for (a). Where (a) does not exist, however, unless (b) and (c) lead to clear and immediate danger to life and limb, I’m hard-pressed to see how they should always be misdemeanors by themselves.

This seems like a well-intended law, written too broadly and with too little discretion allowed the police, the DA, or the judge.

As for the season ahead, even if the charges stand and he’s guilty under the law as written (which he might be) he’ll practice and play as normal. He didn’t do anything really horrific, such as betting on NFL games…

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.