JMO on CMS's Recruiting

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
From my perspective, this is only CMS's 2nd year to really recruit. His first class, although a full class, was signed 6 months or so after getting the job. Taking nothing away from the players that signed that year, but the staff really hadn't had time to build relationships (other than those already in place), and with the scholly limits previously imposed, the staff year-one was in more of a immediate-need mode rather than being able to take a longer look at needs.

It appears, too, that this year's redshirts are more from a proactive choice rather than a default choice, which I think supports this conclusion.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Another thing is the gray shirt has been used to a greater extint than I have ever seen at Bama. Overall CMS has done a good job under very difficult circumstances in my opinion.

If this year goes as expected he will have a top five class and be over the NCAA hump "so to speak."

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
TexasBama said:
From my perspective, this is only CMS's 2nd year to really recruit. His first class, although a full class, was signed 6 months or so after getting the job.

CMS first class was not a full class. 2003 was a sanction year. He did oversign and grayshirt some players but he could only sign 17 that year. Hope I am right on that number but it was not a full class unless you mean full of talent. ;)

Last year was the first "full" class CMS could sign without any NCAA limits or restrictions.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Shula's first class was the 2004 class. The enitre 2003 class was signed under Mike Price, with the exception of Wallace Gilberry. Still, I don't think 2004 was a full class. I think we brought in about 19 in that class.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.