Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I enjoyed watching most of his coaching career as well as of all of his broadcasting one. Madden had an amazing coaching record. He coached in an era of many coaching greats—Landry, Knoll, Grant, Ewbank, and Shula. His combined record against all of them was 36-16-2. That to me was perhaps the most impressive record that he had, among many others.

RWTT11

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2016
Indian Trail, NC
I loved John Madden. Great man. Great Coach.
I really started following him when he coached the Raiders.
John was coaching in an era when men were men, and anything less got trampled on the football field.
When John was on Monday Night Football, he used to drive to the games.
John hated flying.
My Dad was one of his original drivers. He gave it up in 89 so he could be at my FB games my senior year.

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
Hate to hear this. One of my favorites of all time. A man's man and a good old school coach! I love the fact he wore that little paper credential that hung from his belt loop during his games😂😂. When I was a kid in the '70s I used to think, "Does he really need to show that to get into the game".😂 He was an icon and will be missed 🥲

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
In addition to being a great coach, Madden was the best football color guy ever. Close the book.

I don't remember the game, teams, or year, but remember laughing when Madden said he thought Brussel sprouts sounded like a nose tackle.

RIP

• Haha
Reactions: TideEngineer08

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I enjoy looking at details in old photos like this one.

Two QBs who played college ball for Coach Paul Bryant. May be in a practice facility, but sitting on beat-up old unpadded metal stools. The dude two lockers up from Snake's was a bit if a snazzy dresser. Two-button cuff shirt and pieced-together denim pants (probably bell bottoms).

Is that a pair of tighty-whities hanging on the clothes hook in Snake's area? Blanda likely about the age that Tom Brady is today, but looking 60.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I enjoy looking at details in old photos like this one.

Two QB coaches who played college ball for Coach Paul Bryant. May be in a practice facility, but sitting on beat-up old unpadded metal stools. The dude two lockers up from Snake's was a bit if a snazzy dresser. Two-button cuff shirt and pieced-together denim pants (probably bell bottoms).

Is that a pair of tighty-whities hanging on the clothes hook in Snake's area? Blanda likely about the age that Tom Brady is today, but looking 60.
Love your observations.

No doubt - all three of those legends are catching up at the moment - along with many other icons of the game....

don-shula-john-madden.jpg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.