Joke thread - including cartoons, memes, and misc - Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The 70's were freaking awesome!

How old are you? I'm 66 and can personally testify they were incredible on so many levels it's ridiculous.
I am 20 years younger than you. Again disco was a thing in the 70's that cancels out anything good. That is how bad disco was. I was born in the 70's. Sure Zeppelin put out some great music in the 70's and I even own a few CDs and MP3's of Zeppelin. I just cannot get passed the whole disco thing of that decade.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I am 20 years younger than you. Again disco was a thing in the 70's that cancels out anything good. That is how bad disco was. I was born in the 70's. Sure Zeppelin put out some great music in the 70's and I even own a few CDs and MP3's of Zeppelin. I just cannot get passed the whole disco thing of that decade.
The reality is this - anyone who thinks music, food, etc was better 20+ years ago has simply stopped growing.

It's natural, it's normal, but it is what it is.

There is more amazing music being made to day than EVER before. Literally. More crap, too. But there was terrible music made 40 years ago as well.

You can be the guy shaking his fist at clouds or you can go with the flow and enjoy your time...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I absolutely hated disco but the 70’s were a monster decade for music. Look at the albums that came out in 1976 alone! I’m of the opinion that you like what you like. It may not move me, but if you like it that’s great. Enjoy what you like!

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The reality is this - anyone who thinks music, food, etc was better 20+ years ago has simply stopped growing.

There is more amazing music being made to day than EVER before. Literally. More crap, too. But there was terrible music made 40 years ago as well.

You can be the guy shaking his fist at clouds or you can go with the flow and enjoy your time...
I agree - I listen with my son all the time because he is so passionate about music. He sent me a link to an album "The Normal Album" by Will Wood - awesome, but coming accross some music like that requires maintaining a passion for music, not just listening to the familiar or nostalgic.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I agree completely. My music collection consists of music from every decade since the 60's and across many genres. The only genres missing are disco, gangsta rap, this new country music that isn't really country music (I am old really old school), and the teen rock from the 80's. I just don't like that type.

Edit: Funny enough I was listening to all my music on a loop while biking and Beastie Boys came on and in my head I am singing along. It suddenly occurred to me that I am 46 years old and I don't really have to fight for my right to party. Some music has not aged well.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I won't hold your age against you but have to say it doesn't help your position that you were not even born until 1974, yet are now proclaiming something in such an authoritative fashion. *You weren't even there, brother.

I understand that you have a strong dislike for disco. Perfectly understandable and I won't argue the point.

But here's what you wrote:
"Music sucked in the 70's too. Disco was a thing once and it was and still is crap."

Sounds like you 'writing off' the entire decade....just because of disco.

I'll preface this by saying I don't consider Rolling Stone Magazine to be the end-all for all things music. But they do publish (and keep current) a list of the top 500 albums of all time. They been doing this for a long time too, so there's some credibility I think.

In looking at this list sorted by decade....the 70's decade has consistently come out way ahead of other decades.

2020 edition
DecadeNumber of
albums
Percentage
1950s91.8%
1960s7414.8%
1970s15731.4%
1980s7114.2%
1990s10320.6%
2000s5010.0%
2010s367.2%
How many of those albums are disco, I don't know. But there seems to be some value given to this era.

* Have to add to the above comment about your age and how it relates to disco. While you were not old enough to even be in elementary school......I was in my 20's and single. Going to the bars where disco was being played. Droves of young, hawt, & single babes. No HIV to worry about back then either! Casual sex was a thing! Something about the beat of a disco song adds fuel to the fire, if you get my meaning. I won't get into any personal details but have to say thanks to disco going out on Friday and Saturday nights was tantamount to going on safari, and at age 66 I can look back and smile now at some of the incredible game I was fortunate enough to bag on my excursions. So for that reason ALONE....I will never say anything bad about disco! ;)

Reactions: The Ols

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree completely. My music collection consists of music from every decade since the 60's and across many genres. The only genres missing are disco, gangsta rap, this new country music that isn't really country music (I am old really old school), and the teen rock from the 80's. I just don't like that type.

Edit: Funny enough I was listening to all my music on a loop while biking and Beastie Boys came on and in my head I am singing along. It suddenly occurred to me that I am 46 years old and I don't really have to fight for my right to party. Some music has not aged well.
this was a pretty good documentary about the beastie boys we saw last year

Reactions: DzynKingRTR

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i have to say, i find that zeppelin just didn't age very well

• Angry
Reactions: Go Bama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I won't hold your age against you but have to say it doesn't help your position that you were not even born until 1974, yet are now proclaiming something in such an authoritative fashion. *You weren't even there, brother.

I understand that you have a strong dislike for disco. Perfectly understandable and I won't argue the point.

But here's what you wrote:
"Music sucked in the 70's too. Disco was a thing once and it was and still is crap."

Sounds like you 'writing off' the entire decade....just because of disco.

I'll preface this by saying I don't consider Rolling Stone Magazine to be the end-all for all things music. But they do publish (and keep current) a list of the top 500 albums of all time. They been doing this for a long time too, so there's some credibility I think.

In looking at this list sorted by decade....the 70's decade has consistently come out way ahead of other decades.

2020 edition
DecadeNumber of
albums
Percentage
1950s91.8%
1960s7414.8%
1970s15731.4%
1980s7114.2%
1990s10320.6%
2000s5010.0%
2010s367.2%
How many of those albums are disco, I don't know. But there seems to be some value given to this era.

* Have to add to the above comment about your age and how it relates to disco. While you were not old enough to even be in elementary school......I was in my 20's and single. Going to the bars where disco was being played. Droves of young, hawt, & single babes. No HIV to worry about back then either! Casual sex was a thing! Something about the beat of a disco song adds fuel to the fire, if you get my meaning. I won't get into any personal details but have to say thanks to disco going out on Friday and Saturday nights was tantamount to going on safari, and at age 66 I can look back and smile now at some of the incredible game I was fortunate enough to bag on my excursions. So for that reason ALONE....I will never say anything bad about disco! ;)
I agree with you, but RS Magazine is heavily biased toward that generation's music. Maybe in another 10-20 years that will change, but it still remains so.

Reactions: crimsonaudio
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.