Josh Heupel to Oklahoma?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A couple of guys from The Athletic (Feldman and Staples, I think) both indicated on their respective podcasts that the relationship between OU and Heupel and specifically Stoops and Heupel is strained at best. Very unlikely that they would try to hire him.
I stand by the idea that he's as unproved as any assistant coach out there. And he's not shown himself to be a strong recruiter - I don't care who you are, you're not winning at the level OU is accustomed to without killer recruiting prowess.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Watched the press conference with Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione and Bob Stoops from earlier in the week. I have a feeling that OU is going to surprise with a big hire and might be somebody that no one is talking about.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Anyone starting to see a similarity of Stoops at OU to Phil at UT and Steve ar UF?
No not really. Neither Spurrier or Stoops are that involved in their old programs as Fulmer.

I would say Switzer has far more influence on Oklahoma than Stoops to be honest. Yeah stoops is going to coach and aid in the process but he isn’t the guy that is ultimately calling the shots in hiring the next man in Norman. This is more to keep recruits from jumping and people calm after USC just reasserted their power over Oklahoma. It’s basically a “whatcha doing Bob for the next month” kinda thing.

Steve has very little to do with Florida aside from a few comments here and there about Florida. He is by far the least involved out of the three.

Fulmer for all intents and purposes was Tennessee.

Reactions: dtgreg

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Didn’t know Switzer was still alive. Don’t have an opinion on Bob Stoops, but I don’t obsess over coaches we rarely play like some of you.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I stand by the idea that he's as unproved as any assistant coach out there. And he's not shown himself to be a strong recruiter - I don't care who you are, you're not winning at the level OU is accustomed to without killer recruiting prowess.
Oklahoma isn’t hiring Heupel. Too much bad blood and too much inexperience. This is just another “let’s make links to HC jobs and pass them out as plausible without seriously thinking it through”. Heupel

Oklahoma is going to hire an ace recruiter and a person with a name. Probably 3 guys in the running are Venables, Fickle, and Kiffin. Those type guys. Proven recruiters, and guys that are going to be happy with the opportunity to go to the SEC.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Oklahoma isn’t hiring Heupel. Too much bad blood and too much inexperience. This is just another “let’s make links to HC jobs and pass them out as plausible without seriously thinking it through”. Heupel

Oklahoma is going to hire an ace recruiter and a person with a name. Probably 3 guys in the running are Venables, Fickle, and Kiffin. Those type guys. Proven recruiters, and guys that are going to be happy with the opportunity to go to the SEC.
I believe Heupel would be on the list, if Venables doesn't take it if offered he will never take a job

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
In all seriousness, once they move to the SEC they're not winning at the level OU is accustomed to anyway.

They've won 10 or more games in 18 of the last 21 years with 14 conference titles.

Part of the challenge with this job isn't just the recruiting meat-grinder that is the SEC but also readjusting expectations of your fans, boosters, administration, etc. This is especially true if playoff expansion is put on hold, which I'm sure the Big 10, Pac 12 and ACC would love to do to stick it to the SEC.

How do OU fans react when they go 8-4? That might not be a terrible result in the new super SEC, but they will unquestionably see that as a disaster.

If I'm an OU fan I am extremely worried that the combination of joining the SEC and the departure of LR and subsequent disintegration of my next two recruiting classes is going to submarine the program and put us in a really bad spot.

If they botch this hire they could have more in common with Nebraska in five years than the elite programs of the SEC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.