Josh Heupel to Oklahoma?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think many people get caught up with alma mater and UCF coaches.

Like some alma mater coaches to programs make sense but very rarely do. Oklahoma isn’t a program that does it. From what I have seen Gary Gibbs and John Blake are the only two since Wilkinson that are Oklahoma alums. Oklahoma is like Alabama, Ohio St, and USC in that winning is more important than the hometown kid taking over the program story. Yes Alabama has a glaring exception but when you consider that 12 NCs were won by 3 non Bama alums to 6 from alum you can see that it really doesn’t matter. I mean Ray Perkins and Mike Shula are basically the same thing as Gibbs and Blake. Hires made out of necessity and reasons.

Okay I constantly hear “the guy won at UCF” and “the guy put UCF on the map”. Let’s get this straight neither Frost or Heupel put UCF on the map… O’Leary did. People keep forgetting that UCF won a BCS bowl against Baylor in 2013 and would have probably claimed their first national championship that year if South Carolina didn’t outlast them ( this was an 11 win USCe team). Central Florida is the 3rd best program in the state since 2005 and it has the easiest path out of everyone in the state. So let’s stop giving giving Frost and Heupel undo praise for winning at UCF. Because it’s not going to shock anyone who has been following their trajectory if Gus starts rolling off 11-12 win seasons as well.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Stallings wasn’t an alum, but his connection to Bryant is why he got the job.

Best thing about Saban is he has destroyed the notion we have to have an alum or one of Bear’s boys.
Stallings is Barry Switzer and Osborne promotion. Just a few coaches later. But the point is that alums rarely win big at programs like Bama, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio St, and Notre Dame. The outside perspective or the coach under the man strategy is far more effective.

Guys that went to the school that they coached that have won national championships since 1991

-Spurrier
-Fulmer
-Orgeron *

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
Nothing would please me more. The SEC and Alabama in particular owes him a few beatdowns.
LOL. Careful what you wish for, TE08.

Seriously, though, any comments Stoops made regarding the SEC were seriously overblown. Saban/Stoops matchups are great for college football. No need for hurt feelings from either side.

But for the record, you're gonna have to take your anger out on someone other than Bob Stoops. He'll coach the Sooners in just one more game.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.