Josh Primo also testing NBA waters - UPDATE he's officially going pro (Spurs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
He is just getting a free evaluation. No way is he a first round pick.

Primo said: "I'm hoping to learn more about the habits I need to build for making the jump from being an amateur to a professional," he told ESPN. "I'll be signing with an NCAA-certified agent, and the deciding factor for whether to stay in will be if teams are looking to pick me in the first round.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Primo said: "I'm hoping to learn more about the habits I need to build for making the jump from being an amateur to a professional," he told ESPN. "I'll be signing with an NCAA-certified agent, and the deciding factor for whether to stay in will be if teams are looking to pick me in the first round.
You're spot on, as with Primo, I think its just finding out what he needs to do better to become NBA-ready. I'm actually won't be surprised if JQ does the same thing.

Reactions: CraigD and seebell

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

He would be an UDFA. No way he would be drafted.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I agree, he's not ready, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a late 1st round pick. If he is a 1st round pick, he's gone.
As he should be if he is. I tend to think he's a year away from being a true first-rounder. With Primo, Q, Davison, Shack, and Burnett it'll be a crowded backcourt, so it makes sense to test the waters on the off chance he'll get taken this year.

Reactions: seebell

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
247sports usually gives their analysis breakdown of a players potential when he's being recruited. For example, they listed Bediako as a Power 5 starter. Meaning, his skillsets at this point are good enough for him to start at a Power 5 program.

In contrast, Primo was projected as a First Round pick. This was due to his skillsets, his size, and his play with Team Canada either his sophomore/junior year. He's a heck of a talent and will be drafted high when he is ready. But last season showed he had to go though a bit of a learning curve. If he has a solid showing like I think he will this season, he will be a lottery pick late in the round (especially if we are a Final Four team). If he stays for his junior year, hes easily a top 5 player.

Heres his 247sports profile for those who didn't have a chance to see it:

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Also forgot to add both he and Tchikou reclassified to the 2020 class. Both were 5 stars with their original class. On an interesting side note, Tchikou was tagged with a second round evaluation during his hs recruitment. Needless to say, we have the potential to have the most talented roster at Bama next year.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Also forgot to add both he and Tchikou reclassified to the 2020 class. Both were 5 stars with their original class. On an interesting side note, Tchikou was tagged with a second round evaluation during his hs recruitment. Needless to say, we have the potential to have the most talented roster at Bama next year.
I watched a couple of videos of Tchikou. Handles the ball well. Nice touch. Plays with his face to the basket - not a post up only center. Really looks like a 6’-11” stretch 4.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Football needs something similar.

Seems he’s either doing his due diligence, or he’s getting ready to blast off.

I just don’t see how he’s been as effective as he would need to be during his limited time on the court to see his development arc as one worth investing a first round pick on. Hope I’m wrong, we need a few holdovers to get the leadership and team accountability going.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Football needs something similar.

Seems he’s either doing his due diligence, or he’s getting ready to blast off.

I just don’t see how he’s been as effective as he would need to be during his limited time on the court to see his development arc as one worth investing a first round pick on. Hope I’m wrong, we need a few holdovers to get the leadership and team accountability going.
I agree ... it's good that he's doing his diligence. I do believe he is a first round talent, I think he just will be able to have a better resume with another full season. It's been too many instances to show that being the case. With that being said, I expect both to be back

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree ... it's good that he's doing his diligence. I do believe he is a first round talent, I think he just will be able to have a better resume with another full season. It's been too many instances to show that being the case. With that being said, I expect both to be back
While both Primo and Shack will be ready, neither is today.

I expect both back for next season. We are going to be highly talented next year.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Sounds like Primo may be getting some first-round projections per Cecil Hurt (just saw his tweet, I'm too cheap to break the paywall). Should Primo go, I think we're still in fine shape with JQ, Shack, Davison, and Burnett (assuming Q and Shack return), and an unexpected one-and-done can only help recruiting.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sounds like Primo may be getting some first-round projections per Cecil Hurt (just saw his tweet, I'm too cheap to break the paywall). Should Primo go, I think we're still in fine shape with JQ, Shack, Davison, and Burnett (assuming Q and Shack return), and an unexpected one-and-done can only help recruiting.
Would be tempting, but I hope he plays the long game and comes back for another year of smoothing off the rough edges.

He kinda disappeared at times this year (before his injury) and to me that shows his youth and immaturity as a player. I just think another year will make him a better pro prospect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.