Question: Jury duty

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So I have been ordered to report for jury duty in a couple weeks. Any advice on what to expect or any good ways to get struck?

Thinking about wearing a Brandon shirt but not sure if that would help or hurt. (blue font)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Tell them you recommend the death penelty no matter what the case is. Tell the you are sexist, racist and every ist there is.
Well, I'd be careful getting too carried away - if the judge thinks you're playing it up he/she can find you in contempt (had a guy who was obviously turning things to '11' for the purpose get threatened with that during voir dire).

But you can tell them if you're biased for / against firearms or have resolute beliefs / biases in criminal cases.

TexasBama

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I made it to a jury pool once on an indecency with a child case. The defense attorney gave his spiel and spent a good bit of it talking about the range of punishment (probation to twenty years). In his talk about probation, he more or less said that if you’re on probation and you’re not where you’re supposed to be, you can go to jail. He went through the pool and when he got to me I referred to his point that on probation if you’re not where you’re supposed to be, you can go to jail. I mentioned that jury duty is like that.

I never got called again.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well, I'd be careful getting too carried away - if the judge thinks you're playing it up he/she can find you in contempt (had a guy who was obviously turning things to '11' for the purpose get threatened with that during voir dire).

But you can tell them if you're biased for / against firearms or have resolute beliefs / biases in criminal cases.
a guy right in front of me one time got lit up by the judge for trying some lame attempt at getting out of it. he didn't get charged with contempt, but was made to look like an absolute idiot in front of everyone

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have been called for Grand Jury duty twice. I did it. It's a civic duty like voting, except you have to look at the underbelly of society while doing it.
I came ot the conclusion that we need a better class of criminals because criminals in Hooverville are D-U-M-B.
Borrow your mother's car, drive is plum into a building, and then leave the car and walk away, thinking, "Nobody will ever figure out who drove this car." That was an example. Hooverville criminals are, well, not exactly the A-team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Jury duty sucks and is a waste of time. But unless you have a good reason it’s just best to suck it up and go through it.

But then again my instance I got on a Sovereign Citizen murder case in which the idiot represented himself. During voir dire the prosecution basically was asking all relevant questions for his side because he was not going to ask any. To put how stupid and how much of a waste of time this was. They asked “ does the defendant being a black man on trial for murder prevent you from being unbiased while on the jury”. This lady basically said her grandfather was killed by a black man and would probably be unable to be unbiased. Guess who winds up on the jury?

So yeah my experience on the jury was 4-5 days of total nonsense because the defense had an idiot for a client. I heard all of the law of the land and “I was traveling” nonsense that I could handle in a lifetime. Most people I know have had similar experiences in which idiots challenge traffic tickets or refuse to settle lost cases out of court. Yet I have some people that absolutely love going to it. But for me I hope to never have to do it again.

• Haha
Reactions: crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Jury duty sucks and is a waste of time. But unless you have a good reason it’s just best to suck it up and go through it.

But then again my instance I got on a Sovereign Citizen murder case in which the idiot represented himself. During voir dire the prosecution basically was asking all relevant questions for his side because he was not going to ask any. To put how stupid and how much of a waste of time this was. They asked “ does the defendant being a black man on trial for murder prevent you from being unbiased while on the jury”. This lady basically said her grandfather was killed by a black man and would probably be unable to be unbiased. Guess who winds up on the jury?

So yeah my experience on the jury was 4-5 days of total nonsense because the defense had an idiot for a client. I heard all of the law of the land and “I was traveling” nonsense that I could handle in a lifetime. Most people I know have had similar experiences in which idiots challenge traffic tickets or refuse to settle lost cases out of court. Yet I have some people that absolutely love going to it. But for me I hope to never have to do it again.
AM I BEING DETAINED? AM I BEING DETAINED?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
AM I BEING DETAINED? AM I BEING DETAINED?
Yeah that too. They had to get the Tennessee cop that caught him sleeping in a Walmart parking lot to come down to Talladega County to answer questions of why he was justified to make a lawful arrest under the Articles of Confederation and whatever 90 page legal insanity that he brought to court with. I felt I was losing brain cells listening to it.

• Haha

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
had jury duty a few times, got selected for a case when I was 20 or 21. Civil case, 3 days of boredom followed by a day and half of hell in deliberation with other jurors. Taught me that interpretation of what is said is more important than simply listening to most people. I went into the jury room thinking, "this is cut and dry, will be over in minutes" it was not.

Had jury duty a couple weeks back. Got on zoom, got moved to a couple of different virtual rooms and then an hour in told we were not needed. Got the $25 check sitting here on my desk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
had jury duty a few times, got selected for a case when I was 20 or 21. Civil case, 3 days of boredom followed by a day and half of hell in deliberation with other jurors. Taught me that interpretation of what is said is more important than simply listening to most people. I went into the jury room thinking, "this is cut and dry, will be over in minutes" it was not.

Had jury duty a couple weeks back. Got on zoom, got moved to a couple of different virtual rooms and then an hour in told we were not needed. Got the $25 check sitting here on my desk
Yeah you tend to get stupid people or people that actually enjoy the power of being a juror in the case in there. Mine was clear cut to the point that the guy admitted to killing the guy but was arguing that he was innocent because the court had no authority to hold him. It was pretty clear but deliberations took 3 hours because one woman wanted to question if the Tennessee cop really had the authority to arrest him for a crime committed in Munford Alabama and another guy who wanted us to drag it out because he believed that any deliberation under 2 hours shows clear bias by the jury.

Reactions: Jon

TexasBama

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I have been called for Grand Jury duty twice. I did it. It's a civic duty like voting, except you have to look at the underbelly of society while doing it.
I came ot the conclusion that we need a better class of criminals because criminals in Hooverville are D-U-M-B.
Borrow your mother's car, drive is plum into a building, and then leave the car and walk away, thinking, "Nobody will ever figure out who drove this car." That was an example. Hooverville criminals are, well, not exactly the A-team.
Grand Jury can be a long slog. I had a friend that was one day a week for almost 6 months on a Grand Jury.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I have only been called for jury duty 1x in my entire life...we tried a DUI case where the offender did not show up. We had to watch the video of the police car cam, hear the officer's testimony, and then were told that we could not use his failure to show as an indication that he was guilty. We found him guilty in 5 minutes; I asked the police chief -- a friend -- if they knew where he was. Yes, he's in Indiana -- and as long as he stays there we're going to let him. We will notify them of this warrant and conviction, but we're not going after him.
OTOH, my wife was called for a grand jury. Fortunately, she was expecting our 2nd child that month...they excused her promptly.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've been selected twice (one criminal, one civil) since 2016. I wouldn't recommend going too over the top with the antics to get out of it. I also learned picking a competent jury is much like what employers have to pick from in today's labor market, it isn't a "deep draft". I knew that was the case when I was still selected for a medical malpractice case even though I had three close relatives (two doctors and one CRNA) that worked for the hospital being sued.

• Wow
Reactions: PaulD

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Tell them you recommend the death penelty no matter what the case is. Tell the you are sexist, racist and every ist there is.
It really depends on the judge and the case. Like I said I had a woman on my jury say that she was biased against black men because one killed her grandfather. The defendant was a black man who killed a white man and he did not strike her. I was a former military police officer who had to give threat briefings to the squadron about Sovereign Citizens and other domestic terrorist organizations. Yet I wound up on the jury.

You are really basing it off the competency of the defense to get struck from a jury pool. The people who actually got out of jury duty were essential workers, lawyers, and people with health reasons. But if you don’t want to be on a jury without a good reason then it’s actually probably better to not say anything at all and say as little as possible if asked any questions.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It is a bit intriguing to see what happens and how it works. My wife was on a jury a few years ago. One of her fellow jurors worked for a Birmingham TV station. She sat for three days hearing testimony (a cop had done something) before it was thrown out due to the prosecutor making some stupid procedural error. She said the judge wasn’t happy.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I've been called for jury duty three times.

The first time, I was never assigned to a jury.

The second time, I sat on a drug case.

The third, I came down with the flu the day before, showed up with a 101 degree fever, and was promptly sent home (this was YEARS before covid, btw).

Latest threads

Shop the TideFans.shop !

Your purchase through our TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!