Just Got Ugly in Gainesville

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
After five scoreless innings, it looks like BAMA blinked first and gave up 3 runs to Mizzou in the top of the 6th. Fouts had an error on a weak ground ball back to her, (went under her glove), and the second baseball dropped a routine pop up that should have ended the inning but instead gave Mizzou the third run. The way we are swinging the bats today, I don't know if we can make a comeback. I hope so.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
BAMA goes down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 7th - 2 pop ups and a ground out - and falls to Mizzou 3-0. The way we have played down the stretch, how in the world do we have the #4 RPI? We'll probably get a regional but I'm wondering if we will finish in the top 8 to get a home super regional. This is also the first time since 1999, that we have lost our first game in the SEC tourney. I wish Montana would find a change up. Everyone starts timing her up in the late innings because every pitch is a pretty similar speed. She did throw well enough to win, but got absolutely no help from the offense. I just don't understand what's up with our hitting, or rather lack of hitting. I hope we can figure things out with a little time off. ROLL TIDE!

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
BAMA goes down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 7th - 2 pop ups and a ground out - and falls to Mizzou 3-0. The way we have played down the stretch, how in the world do we have the #4 RPI? We'll probably get a regional but I'm wondering if we will finish in the top 8 to get a home super regional. This is also the first time since 1999, that we have lost our first game in the SEC tourney. I wish Montana would find a change up. Everyone starts timing her up in the late innings because every pitch is a pretty similar speed. She did throw well enough to win, but got absolutely no help from the offense. I just don't understand what's up with our hitting, or rather lack of hitting. I hope we can figure things out with a little time off. ROLL TIDE!
Didn't they just have some time off before this game?

Last edited:

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I did not understand Murph benching Bloodworth and the girl in Center field (her name escapes me) for 2 less experienced players. This was not the time to play with the lineup. It obviously affected the offense.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I did not understand Murph benching Bloodworth and the girl in Center field (her name escapes me) for 2 less experienced players. This was not the time to play with the lineup. It obviously affected the offense.
The center fielder was freshman Dallis Goodnight. She was replaced by Jenna Johnson who spent most of the year in left field. I don't know what happened that sent Bloodworth to the bench as she seemed to at least be a consistent hitter and was consistent at second base. Her replacement did have a hit today, but also dropped a very routine pop up that gave Mizzou their 3rd run. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens next.

catsbane

Scout Team
Dec 11, 2008
Helena
" She was replaced by Jenna Johnson who spent most of the year in left field " and has been in an even worse hitting slump. JJ is one of my favorites but the logic of that move eludes me.
This is a young team, losing only one player at the end of this season and just three the year following. I wonder how that youth might factor into this team wide malaise.
On a positive note... Prange Rocks.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We started the year off fine at the plate. But as the season has gone on, we’ve struggled, and now have less than zero confidence. I’m sure SEC competition plays a part. But that can’t be the whole story because, within the SEC, we’re at or near the bottom in a lot of hitting categories.

The unavoidable truth is that we have a problem at the plate, and it’s getting progressively worse. It was an issue last year, though not to this degree, and somewhat covered up by Bailey Hemphill.

It may be too late for this season, and I don’t claim to know what the problem is. But I know enough to know that the future of the program depends on getting it fixed.

We’ll host a Regional, but this team doesn’t deserve to host a Super Regional. Shoot, even getting to a Super Regional on somebody else’s field assumes that we win the Regional….which at this point is light years away from guaranteed.

Last edited:

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
" She was replaced by Jenna Johnson who spent most of the year in left field " and has been in an even worse hitting slump. JJ is one of my favorites but the logic of that move eludes me.
This is a young team, losing only one player at the end of this season and just three the year following. I wonder how that youth might factor into this team wide malaise.
On a positive note... Prange Rocks.
We are losing four of five off this team going into next season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We started the year off fine at the plate. But as the season has gone on, we’ve struggled, and now have less than zero confidence. I’m sure SEC competition plays a part. But that can’t be the whole story because, within the SEC, we’re at or near the bottom in a lot of hitting categories.

The unavoidable truth is that we have a problem at the plate, and it’s getting progressively worse. It was an issue last year, though not to this degree, and somewhat covered up by Bailey Hemphill.

It may be too late for this season, and I don’t claim to know what the problem is. But I know enough to know that the future of the program depends on getting it fixed.

We’ll host a Regional, but this team doesn’t deserve to host a Super Regional. Shoot, even getting to a Super Regional on somebody else’s field assumes that we win the Regional….which at this point is light years away from guaranteed.
I think the problem is that Murph is stubborn and wants to win with great fielders and pitchers. We have too many slappers and very few hitters. Prange and Shipman are our best hitters and neither would start at Oklahoma even as a DH.

The sad truth is that we probably have wasted elite arms like Montana, Lexi, and Osorio just for Murph to prove that he can win with these types of teams.

TideATL70

Scout Team
Oct 20, 2020
Painful to see KB Sides get named SEC Player of the year this morning. She could have been a much needed spark for the Tide this year. Arky has definitely moved into the Elite tier of SEC Softball.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
I likewise wish Sides had stayed.

IMO there's almost no chance Bama will host a super-regional. Given our lack of hitting the past few weeks I think it's problematical that Bama wins their regional. I'm not even convinced Bama hosts a regional.

I enjoy Bama softball second only to football so I hate to see us struggle like we're doing.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
My thoughts as well. Still don't understand why she transferred, but it obviously worked out for her.
Well, she sure hit a lot better at Arkansas than at BAMA. .401 average for the year, 12 homeruns, 11 doubles, 3 triples. Far better than her career numbers at BAMA. Maybe they have a hitting coach at Arkansas. Like everyone else, I hated to see her go. Skylyr Wallace, another BAMA transfer was also first team SEC for Florida.

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Well, she sure hit a lot better at Arkansas than at BAMA. .401 average for the year, 12 homeruns, 11 doubles, 3 triples. Far better than her career numbers at BAMA. Maybe they have a hitting coach at Arkansas. Like everyone else, I hated to see her go. Skylyr Wallace, another BAMA transfer was also first team SEC for Florida.
Exactly

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
We are losing four of five off this team going into next season.
Not announced yet - but word on the street (per Bama SB radio announcer GR) is that Fouts, Prange, and Shipman will all return next season - using their extra year of Covid eligibility. None of those three participated in Senior Day last weekend.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
I likewise wish Sides had stayed.

IMO there's almost no chance Bama will host a super-regional. Given our lack of hitting the past few weeks I think it's problematical that Bama wins their regional. I'm not even convinced Bama hosts a regional.

I enjoy Bama softball second only to football so I hate to see us struggle like we're doing.
We will be the #6 seed. If we win regionals. We will host a super.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.