Just Stop Oil Paints Stonehenge

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Anyone who thinks depriving others of their enjoyment of art, their ability to travel, etc. will accomplish anything other than hatred for them and their cause is completely blind.
It's the same thought process as trying to berate, insult, or impugn others into agreement with your desired position. I see it a lot of places, including but in no way limited to, TideFans.

I voted Banjeaux. If I could give Banjeaux, Emphasis, Love, and Thank You to your post, I would.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Meh. Supposedly cornflower based powder paint that will wash off in rain.
I guess then it’s ok to do it, if the paint washes off.
Agreed, Cajun. Let's go down the line a bit with the logic whereby there is limited to no physical impact....therefore little to no reaction is warranted. We could use any epithets, combined with any profanity we choose, do it publicly, and expect a collective shrug from the population as a whole.

After all, even the most vile, profane and racially-based verbal insults leave no physical harm. What's the big stinkin' deal?

I`m sorry. Some people just need a good old fashioned butt whuppin`
Don't be sorry. They do indeed need a boot so far up their alimentary canal that they taste shoe leather.

Last edited:

crimbru

1st Team
Sep 15, 2011
Brussels, Belgium
You know those brain tests where they flash a card with The The Ball and ask you what it says? Well, I had that brain thing this morning when I woke up and saw this headline. I was eating breakfast thinking like okay maybe water colors would be more appropriate, but how is that controversial enough for this area of the site....

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Anyone who thinks depriving others of their enjoyment of art, their ability to travel, etc. will accomplish anything other than hatred for them and their cause is completely blind.
Meanwhile some in the Texas GOP are toying with the idea of making it illegal to use public roads to go get an abortion. They understand this makes them hated by many but they seem to welcome it.
They are not blind to the harm they are doing, they seem to enjoy watching it unfold.

Damaging fine art to protest something is certainly counterproductive, I think everybody can agree with that. It almost seems as dumb as glueing yourself to something to make a point. Let’s see if extremely harsh punishment can be a deterrent.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Agreed, Cajun. Let's go down the line a bit with the logic whereby there is limited to no physical impact....therefore little to no reaction is warranted. We could use any epithets, combined with any profanity we choose, do it publicly, and expect a collective shrug from the population as a whole.

After all, even the most vile, profane and racially-based verbal insults leave no physical harm. What's the big stinkin' deal?

Don't be sorry. They do indeed need a boot so far up their alimentary canal that they taste shoe leather.
Just a figure of speech. In no way would I be sorry if somebody had taken it upon themselves to kick their .......insert another term, plural, for donkeys.

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I’m all for free speech. If they want to stand at the entrance of Stonehenge and protest about climate change go right ahead. Want to stand under Lincoln (an obvious Zionist as he expressed a desire to visit Jerusalem right before he was shot) and support Gaza go right ahead.

But to vandalize property, especially something people spent a great deal of time and money to visit, is just wrong.

A few years ago, some Mississippi State fans put a shirt on the Bryant statue in Tuscaloosa that said “I was there 6-3”. That was funny as it didn’t hurt the statue.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm not so much interested in the morality, but I am interested in the efficacy of that mode of arguing. Is there any indication that this sort of thing convinces anyone of the merits of their argument?

2003TIDE

Suspended
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I guess then it’s ok to do it, if the paint washes off.
Yes. Attention to the cause. 60+ years ago it was illegal for a person of color to sit at the counter of a restaurant or ride at the front of a bus. I can only assume the conversations about how those were wrong were exactly the same.

2003TIDE

Suspended
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Also these stones are what 3000-4000 year old? To act like some powered paint destroyed them is absolutely silly. It will weather away and they will be there for 3000-4000 years more.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Yes. Attention to the cause. 60+ years ago it was illegal for a person of color to sit at the counter of a restaurant or ride at the front of a bus. I can only assume the conversations about how those were wrong were exactly the same.
I think Cajun was being facetious. At least i hope so.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.