Kansas City Chiefs Offense looks A LOT like 2020 Alabama Offense

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't watch a lot of NFL football, but the few games I've watched this season I have watched the Chiefs. I was watching them play the Bills yesterday and their offense looked eerily similar to ours, especially pre-snap motion, alignments etc. Is this a coincidence or was one "copying" the other? These two offenses, look almost identical.

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
I don't watch a lot of NFL football, but the few games I've watched this season I have watched the Chiefs. I was watching them play the Bills yesterday and their offense looked eerily similar to ours, especially pre-snap motion, alignments etc. Is this a coincidence or was one "copying" the other? These two offenses, look almost identical.
I was definitely thinking that yesterday.

Reactions: CraigD

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I noticed some similarities also. I think our offense will look even more like it with BY at QB since his skill set is more similar to Mahomes.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Hahaha. Brady is more Robert Horry than Michael Jordan.
Well... Horry was a role player who had a great knack for critical 3 point shots.

Brady distributes the ball on every single play. So I think you're looking at your sliding scale backwards.

To keep from totally derailing the thread, I agree that Sark's offense looks a lot like Reid's offense with Mahomes as QB. I'm not sure how that will change with O'Brien.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Lot's of presnap stuff for sure, and a great job at using alignment to get players in spots to make plays, but the chiefs use the TE an order of magnitude more than Bama did to the point that Kelce was the highest rated TE for all the fantasy stuff.

Reactions: bamacon and B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Lot's of presnap stuff for sure, and a great job at using alignment to get players in spots to make plays, but the chiefs use the TE an order of magnitude more than Bama did to the point that Kelce was the highest rated TE for all the fantasy stuff.
No doubt. The formations and alignments look the same but the primary and secondary receivers were probably different with KC compared to Bama. If we had a "Kelce" rather than a D Smith, our first and second looks would probably be the exact same as the Chiefs.

Reactions: TiderJack

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No doubt. The formations and alignments look the same but the primary and secondary receivers were probably different with KC compared to Bama. If we had a "Kelce" rather than a D Smith, our first and second looks would probably be the exact same as the Chiefs.
They were using very similar scheming to create space for a "primary" receiver in their route progressions vs. man or zone, but they also did a lot more ad hoc route running because Mahomes leaves the pocket so early. Essentially, if the first read isnt there, Mahomes scrambles and then receivers try to run to an open spot where he can get them the ball (scramble drill).

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
That play where Mahomes hit Kelce for the wide open TD looked awfully similar to the play where Mac hit Billingsley for the TD against LSU.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.