Katie Boyd Britt in US Senate Race for Shelby’s Seat

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That’s incredibly disappointing. I wonder if she truly believes that, or just feels she has to say the words in order to get elected.

Even so, she‘s light years better than Mo Brooks.
i think we have reached the point, or are getting very close to it, where this is a distinction without a real difference.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
George Wallace was the moderate candidate in 1958 and was endorsed by the NAACP. Black lawyers who had been in his courtroom spoke well of him. But he lost to an opponent who had a harder line on segregation.

So he vowed not to be “outsegged” again and won in 1962, defeating his former mentor, Jim Folsom. He pledged segregation forever in his inaugural address. Things went downhill from there.

After he was shot (and times changed) he shifted his views and won his last election in 1982 on the support of the black vote.

So who knows what his real views were.

Reactions: seebell

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
that is an exceptionally low bar
It is, but it’s what we’re dealing with.

i think we have reached the point, or are getting very close to it, where this is a distinction without a real difference.
Like George Wallace, does it really matter?
I think whether she believes what she’s saying does matter in that it affects what she’d actually work to accomplish.

There’s no question that Mo Brooks would work hard to keep any and all federal legislation out of the response to COVID. Voting to do that is a foregone conclusion.

If Britt doesn’t really believe what she’s saying, she won’t work to accomplish it. She’d just leave the issue on the back burner. Depending on the cover she could get, she might or might not vote that way.

Kind of like Biden running for the nomination, his statements were far left of his current governing positions. I don’t think Biden believed some of the stuff he was saying, but felt he had to say it to get the nomination.

I‘m hoping Britt is doing the same thing.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I think whether she believes what she’s saying does matter in that it affects what she’d actually work to accomplish.

There’s no question that Mo Brooks would work hard to keep any and all federal legislation out of the response to COVID. Voting to do that is a foregone conclusion.

If Britt doesn’t really believe what she’s saying, she won’t work to accomplish it. She’d just leave the issue on the back burner. Depending on the cover she could get, she might or might not vote that way.

Kind of like Biden running for the nomination, his statements were far left of his current governing positions. I don’t think Biden believed some of the stuff he was saying, but felt he had to say it to get the nomination.

we will see, but this is not remotely similar to what biden did

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

and I think we need to hold all of them to their words

as Penn Jillette is fond of saying, voting for the lesser of two evils will always lead to more evil.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Word is that Wallace wasn’t a true believer, but did it matter? No. Even the bloviating is harmful. It’s time to move in a different direction. People are just going to have to get over their phobia of democrats or independents.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Her problem is she can't sell what Mo is selling. She can't out redneck him. Her better approach would be to go Alex Shunnarah and put her face on every billboard across the state. She will need some Democrat votes to win. She can't win with just Republican votes. The Democrats just won't vote otherwise.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
George Wallace was the moderate candidate in 1958 and was endorsed by the NAACP. Black lawyers who had been in his courtroom spoke well of him. But he lost to an opponent who had a harder line on segregation.

So he vowed not to be “outsegged” again and won in 1962, defeating his former mentor, Jim Folsom. He pledged segregation forever in his inaugural address. Things went downhill from there.

After he was shot (and times changed) he shifted his views and won his last election in 1982 on the support of the black vote.

So who knows what his real views were.
Not just a guy that "had a harder line on segregation." Patterson was a KKK racist fire-breather.

Wallace was a skilled politician and morally "flexible" enough to say and do anything to ensure election. I doubt he really believed the racial stuff beyond its usage as a wedge. And some of that Folsom-esque liberalism did carry over. He ratcheted up infrastructure spending, raised teacher salaries and poured money into schools. He also expanded access to welfare (well, for white folks).

He really is an interesting cautionary tale on the depths to which some will sink for political power.

Reactions: Jon and 92tide

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I might vote for Britt in the primary. I believe in the "lesser of two evils" approach. Change often comes in very small steps.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
if she is putting forward election skepticism, she isn't "lesser"
I said "Might". Election skepticism versus "Kick a**" seems lesser. But I'll wait till the actual campaign to make my choice. Angela Davis and Saul Alinsky aren't on the ballot.

• Haha
Reactions: 92tide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.