Kent Waldrep has died

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It embarrasses me because I’d been a Tide fan for over 20 years before I knew about this story. What’s sad is I’ve heard Texas fans say that us basically adopting Waldrep that, “Well TCU didn’t have a lot of money to handle that.”

When Chucky Mullins was paralyzed in little ole Mississippi, both Ole Miss AND State passed around buckets at games and raised over a million bucks - in Mississippi for a black orphan mind you during a recession. Texas could have done that if they wanted. They have so much money and what all.

Reactions: dtgreg and Con

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It embarrasses me because I’d been a Tide fan for over 20 years before I knew about this story. What’s sad is I’ve heard Texas fans say that us basically adopting Waldrep that, “Well TCU didn’t have a lot of money to handle that.”

When Chucky Mullins was paralyzed in little ole Mississippi, both Ole Miss AND State passed around buckets at games and raised over a million bucks - in Mississippi for a black orphan mind you during a recession. Texas could have done that if they wanted. They have so much money and what all.
I read an article about Waldrep once. The author said his office was decorated with Alabama memorabilia, but nothing from TCU.

Reactions: Con

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
My first ever Bama game was the TCU game the following year. If I recall correctly Kent made an appearance at that game in his wheelchair. Also remember we ran a punt back for a touchdown (maybe T. Nathan )but was called back on a penalty. Basically the only two things I remember about that game. Very sad story.

Reactions: Con and Crimson1967

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I remember John Forney calling the game on radio. I remember the injury and the response after the game . Not only by coach Bryant, but also the Birmingham media as Mr Waldrep stayed at University hospital for awhile. It was a big deal for someone like me that aspired to play football at the collegiate level. Prayers for his family.

Last edited:

rolltd

3rd Team
Dec 15, 2010
Coach Bryant was a class act, so are coaches Saban and Stallings. They have always made me proud to be a Bama fan. God bless the Waldrep family

Reactions: dtgreg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.