BREAKING Kevin Steele hired as DC

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
I'm certainly no expert on coordinators but I do have some experience with taking some lateral and sometimes seemingly backward steps to build for long term success and that's what I discern from these hires. CNS has cast his lot on the OC side with an OC whom he believes to be an up and comer who can grow with the program for perhaps 5-6 years--maybe more. He's perhaps taken a step back on the DC side of the ball to avoid tying his own hands by grabbing a hot young commodity with whom he would be reluctant to do a one and done deal. As many have said, I think this DC hire is done with the intent of eventually getting to JP, knowing that JP would likely not have many advancement options and would likely be with CNS for several more years. If he pulls it off, we may not be Playoff contenders in 2023 but we might certainly be looking at a stable 5-7 years beyond that and that's not a bad thing at all. I'm certainly not throwing in the towel on this year because I believe we'll get back to solid, fundamental football and that always give you a chance with our talent. But, if we've had a rebuilding year in a while it will be this year when we replace a QB, several linemen on both sides and much of the heart of the secondary with Hellams and Battle gone. More importantly in my mind, if my scenario is close to correct, it means that CNS is not just looking for that "one more title" but is attempting to lay the groundwork for continued dominance. Like always, it's going to be a long wait until September but I'm not concerned about the long-term prospects for our Tide.

There's one more benefit that CKS's experience with LBs brings for me I hope. Perhaps I won't be suffering from so many self-inflicted slaps on my face each game as I scream at our ILB for thudding some OG instead of shooting gaps to make tackles! If CKS fixes at least that much, I'll be the better for it!
RTR

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hey, don't get me wrong - this is not what I had hoped in the hire.

But Steele is a solid DC that knows Saban's system - and has some success. He's no question an upgrade from Gol*ing, he's just never fielded a defense I found fearsome.

But I've no doubt this is an upgrade over the previous five season.

I'd just love to be proved wrong (wouldn't be the firs time, far from it) as I don't see this as an 'aggressive' hire. LOVE to be proved wrong.

Welcome (back) and RTR, Coach Steele!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm certainly no expert on coordinators but I do have some experience with taking some lateral and sometimes seemingly backward steps to build for long term success and that's what I discern from these hires. CNS has cast his lot on the OC side with an OC whom he believes to be an up and comer who can grow with the program for perhaps 5-6 years--maybe more. He's perhaps taken a step back on the DC side of the ball to avoid tying his own hands by grabbing a hot young commodity with whom he would be reluctant to do a one and done deal. As many have said, I think this DC hire is done with the intent of eventually getting to JP, knowing that JP would likely not have many advancement options and would likely be with CNS for several more years. If he pulls it off, we may not be Playoff contenders in 2023 but we might certainly be looking at a stable 5-7 years beyond that and that's not a bad thing at all. I'm certainly not throwing in the towel on this year because I believe we'll get back to solid, fundamental football and that always give you a chance with our talent. But, if we've had a rebuilding year in a while it will be this year when we replace a QB, several linemen on both sides and much of the heart of the secondary with Hellams and Battle gone. More importantly in my mind, if my scenario is close to correct, it means that CNS is not just looking for that "one more title" but is attempting to lay the groundwork for continued dominance. Like always, it's going to be a long wait until September but I'm not concerned about the long-term prospects for our Tide.

There's one more benefit that CKS's experience with LBs brings for me I hope. Perhaps I won't be suffering from so many self-inflicted slaps on my face each game as I scream at our ILB for thudding some OG instead of shooting gaps to make tackles! If CKS fixes at least that much, I'll be the better for it!
RTR
Good post...likely accurate. But I don't necessarily think it's a step back in any kind of way except for the "fan's impression" we needed a big name. And I genuinely think the defense will return to its roots under Steele as well. Better, more disicpled LB play, tougher, imposing its will and more disciplined. Whatever led Petey to go with the Landsharks (whether his choice or CNS's) CNS had to see the defensive inefficiencies and I believe going old school with Steele is step one toward fixing them!

And If Steele leads to CJP down the line it's a win/win too!

I'm just blown away at the percentage of the fan base that seems on the verge of rioting and/or jumping ship and not just over this hire, but over pretty much anything football related these last two seasons.
I honestly don't know of anyone rioting or jumping ship. It's just that the standard has been established by CNS that Bama should play for the national championship every year and this move doesn't obviously make that more likely. I suspect everyone complaining will still watch the games and cheer for the Tide come September.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Steele will be an upgrade from Golding, no doubt.
Hey, don't get me wrong - this is not what I had hoped in the hire.

But Steele is a solid DC that knows Saban's system - and has some success. He's no question an upgrade from Gol*ing, he's just never fielded a defense I found fearsome.

But I've no doubt this is an upgrade over the previous five season.

I'd just love to be proved wrong (wouldn't be the firs time, far from it) as I don't see this as an 'aggressive' hire. LOVE to be proved wrong.

Welcome (back) and RTR, Coach Steele!
The two problems with our defense that I think Steele will improve upon are mental/physical toughness and obviously wrong situational playcalling. Like you, I'm underwhelmed by the hire but it is still an upgrade, imo.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Well I've slept on it (barely)...

I just don't like it.

Is it an upgrade over Golding? I mean yes of course it is.... Golding was one of the worst DC's I've ever seen in my life.

Is it anywhere close to the level of hire we needed? No

Rees and Steele > Bob and Golding - This is true

Monken and Schumann/Muschamp > Rees and Steele - This is also true

That's the problem.

These aren't the level of hires that were needed to wrestle the SEC and NCAA Crowns away from UGA.

Time is ticking on CNS's tenure and the SEC landscape has changed.

UGA is King because of their Coaching Staff from top to bottom and Tenn and LSU are on the rise.

Being Top 15 on Offense and Defense isn't enough. You gotta be Top 5 Elite on one side at least if not both sides.

I'm thinking at this point everyone completely mis-read CNS's body language when Pollack was talking trash 3 feet away because these are not Aggressive or Responsive hires against was UGA is doing.

NOT EVEN CLOSE.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Well, as a program I'd say we are way better off this week than last week. We have most of our pieces in place so now time to go to work. Regardless of all the "sexy" names that have been debated here, this remains a team sport and Nick is the big boss. The environment he has created at the Capstone is ripe for all these coaches to come in and have immediate success under his leadership. Call them coordinators, assistants or analysts but all of these guys report to the boss and I am 100% confident that he is going to get every ounce of effort from the staff and the players in 2023.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Hold up: I want to hear everyone's definition of what Homerun hire is?
Homerun hires never really worked out.
The “home run hire” is the guy that a consensus of fans or media talking heads believes is “the can’t miss”. It is all perception. Example Kenny Dillingham, the 32 year old wonder boy from Memphis to Auburn to FSU to Oregon and now the new head coach at ASU. Seen by many as a “home run hire”. Not necessarily based on track record but he’s the “flavor of the month”. Will he be the that guy? Who the heck knows.

Remember everyone blew up the UA president’s fax machine when we hired Dubose because “we couldn’t let him get away”. On the other side, Gene Stallings seen as just “settling” for someone.

Other examples as DC’s have been Dave Aranda and Manny Diaz. Through their DC careers it was a constant talking point as to how great they were (like the Gus Malzahn “offensive genius” label) yet I was never that impressed by either to the extent I would “perceive” them as a great hire. Others would have differed.

My point being: The three names most prominently mentioned (JP, Schumann and Leonhard) by fans and media types were labeled as “great gets”. And those expectations were set. Anything outside of that would be considered as “settling”.

I don’t see Steele as a great hire. But he isn’t chopped liver either. Personally I think he’s better than what we had, but that is my opinion/perception. At the very least I expect more physical play from our d line and at least have LB’s that know where they should be.

We shall see.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

RTR
Agree on most of this but no, I believe we remain squarely in the championship hunt just like we do year in and year out. Both the OC and DC are really just playcallers under this Coach because nothing scheme wise will change. Most of the assistants are still in place, all the players will continue learning the exact same systems and we have some studs, I mean studs all over the field. I like our chances at a National Championship THIS COMING SEASON.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I just don't like it.

Is it an upgrade over Golding? I mean yes of course it is.... Golding was one of the worst DC's I've ever seen in my life.

That's the problem.

These aren't the level of hires that were needed to wrestle the SEC and NCAA Crowns away from UGA.

UGA is King because of their Coaching Staff from top to bottom and Tenn and LSU are on the rise.

Being Top 15 on Offense and Defense isn't enough. You gotta be Top 5 Elite on one side at least if not both sides.

I'm thinking at this point everyone completely mis-read CNS's body language when Pollack was talking trash 3 feet away because these are not Aggressive or Responsive hires against was UGA is doing.

NOT EVEN CLOSE.
The difference between us and Georgia came down to one thing: toughness/aggression (you can call that two things if you want).

A big name coaching hire doesn't bring either, necessarily. What I've read/know about Rees and Steele is they are known for this.

Time will obviously tell, but these could be considered "brilliant" hires by CNS if we return to dominance next season.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I just don't like it.

That's the problem.

NOT EVEN CLOSE.
Have you ever thought that they may have not been interested? "They" meaning "big name" candidates.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.