BREAKING Kevin Steele hired as DC

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I don’t think KS was the first choice for DC. Reporting was that he and Saban had conversations this past week; no mention of whether those were the first since PG left. If KS had been the first choice he would have been hired weeks ago; no reason not to, that I’m aware of, and same for TR. Although I’m not sure he had a first choice (folks said Lebby), but I haven’t seen any reports of any offer being made and rejected, for either position.
Obviously (pretty sure everyone agrees now) he didn’t have anyone “lined up” for either position when both coordinators left; I think he knew neither would be staying. The hiring for both positions seems now to have just been part of the “process”.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
This is Bad... REAL BAD.

We needed a Homerun from one of these hires and especially on Defense.

I'd call OC a Double with potential to be a Triple or Homerun but it's wait and see.

But Kevin Steele for DC?

This is like a check swing bunt single.

My god how do we not get either Leonhard or Schumann.

What a Disaster.
I heard some scoop on Schuman that sounded like he wanted to stay on at Georgia. FWIW.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Having some time to marinate on the hire, I'm not thrilled with it as I think he has struggled with the spread passing attacks. Looking on the positive side, he was the position coach for Rolando McClain who is without a doubt the best MLB we have had under Saban.

If we can get a bigger body LB back in the middle with an alpha dog mentality I think the rest of the defense will stabilize around it. The difference for me is the defense failed to stop the 3rd and 4 runs between the guards consistently. If Steele can shore the middle up we will be fine.

We will also need to be able to cover the TE better which will require a more physical LB or safety.

Reactions: Padreruf

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The mods on BOL, particularly Charlie Potter, said it is not true that Jeremy Pruitt was consulted. He stated that as fact. I tend to believe him over this Tony guy who tweeted that he was.

I imagine that Kevin Steele will be mentoring Armstrong and it is still not known what will happen with Pruitt. It would be nice to have him as an analyst or in a role off the field but yet somehow working with the football program.
Yeah I’ve really no idea. No connections. But from the moment I heard Steele as a possibility, trusted place-holder came to mind.

He will do well. After what we’ve been through on defense over the last five years, simple improvement in disciplined play will do wonders.

And whether it’s Pruitt or one of the other young guys that eventually takes the reins, it will be worth it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah I’ve really no idea. No connections. But from the moment I heard Steele as a possibility, trusted place-holder came to mind.

He will do well. After what we’ve been through on defense over the last five years, simple improvement in disciplined play will do wonders.

And whether it’s Pruitt or one of the other young guys that eventually takes the reins, it will be worth it.
i kinda have my doubts that Pruitt is the one being groomed. Yeah I know news stories have been coming out but news stories were coming out about him being considered for the job when he was already out of the running for weeks. The problem is that the leaks haven’t been as plentiful as usual and it’s either because Saban has purposefully prevented them from finding their way to known squealers, Bryne and Saban have been playing things tight to the vest, or the leakers have left. But the crazy sports media types, it seems that they are way behind the developments in this story

But from revelations of last week, it seems Alabama is expecting a harsh punishment for Pruitt. I think that Steele is a temporary solution but I don’t know if Pruitt is the clear guy that they are expecting to fill that role. Armstrong is probably just as likely at this point.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Another thing with Steele is I don't think we'll see as many (egregiously) blown coverages.
I hope to see Steele reduce the number of OFFSIDES penalties.
I hope to see far less HOLDING penalties.
And...
I hope to see us play 60 minutes.
I don't care if we are up by 20-30 points...
If we have a chance to score, do it.
NO MORE TAKING OUR FOOT OFF THE GAS.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
And...
If we are up 20-30 points who is going to convince CNS to not take his foot off the pedal? At his age he is not going to change. So we will continue to see him take his foot off the pedal and not use timeouts in the first half.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I’ve had some time to think about it, and while I still don’t love the hire, I think it might work out if (and only if) Pruitt is the long-term plan.
Along those lines, I find myself wondering if CNS is truly saying to himself, " These ae the two coordinators with whom I am comfortable planning to finish out my career."

I’ve had some time to think about it, and while I still don’t love the hire, I think it might work out if (and only if) Pruitt is the long-term plan.
My problem with this is that either Steele is a national championship-caliber DC or he isn't. If he's not, we're wasting one of the precious few years left with Saban at the helm. If he is, then replacing him with Pruitt isn't necessary.

That would be nice!

I don't think this is a function of the defensive coordinator.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Schumann did graduate from here but, he is "Kirby's guy" He and Kirby have a very close relationship. Sometimes that supersedes where you went to school. Kirby gives Schumann a ton of freedom within the defense as well. He was going to do whatever he had to do to keep him there. He was Kirby's grad asst. at Bama.

There is major talk that Leonard is coveted for a few NFL DC jobs. I know we view Alabama as the mecca of football, however, with the climate of CFB, I would 1,000,000% rather coach in the NFL right now. You could actually see your family for more than one week out of the year.

Also, the Monken/Schumann combo was mentioned earlier, Monken is all but gone to the NFL as well. So, UGA will be hiring a new OC.
That guy has about as much input with that defense as I do with smart and muschamp in the room.

I never really thought [DuBose] was head coaching material...............great DC, but we all saw how the latter turned out
DuBose seemed like a lazy hire at the time. He only had one year as DC, 1996. Alabama lost three times that year: 13–20 at Tennessee, 16–17 at Miss State, and 30–45 against Florida in the SEC Championship Game. We'd have fired Pete Golding for that.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.