BREAKING Kevin Steele hired as DC

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
So what? Is that supposed to be an excuse?

I don't excuse mental softness. They knew the expectations (that were set by years of mentally strong players before them) when they signed the LOI.
IMO, Anderson's "concern" was more of a reflection of the softness that has descended upon the program the last few years. IMO, that is on the coaches, especially the head coach. It was more damaging than whatever lack was displayed by both coordinators combined. CNS appears to be addressing it with what will likely be a more physical brand of football - less cerebral on the D side, thus more decisive, and more physical running on O. Physical, mental and psychological toughness need to reemerge or the run is over, IMO.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Upon further reflection, it strikes me that both the OC and DC hires indicate several things, most of which point Back To The Future.

Saban sees what we’ve all seen — a lack of physical mentality on both sides of the ball. Soft DL. No running game whatsoever when the opposition’s D knows it‘s coming. Only long plays when they’re caught by surprise and inflate an average that is purely a mathematical construct, giving no indication of the true effectiveness of the running game.

Nothing consistent.

Nothing within light years of when the entire stadium knew Derrick Henry was getting the ball somewhere inside the tackles and the bad guys still couldn’t stop it.

Can you imagine Rolando McClain, CJ Moseley, or Reggie Ragland, or Barrett Jones, or Landon Dickerson, or Cam Robinson, or Evan Neal, or Jonathan Allen, or Quinnen Williams or any number of other stud interior linemen whining about anxiety? That Will Anderson would is truly embarrassing.

The cause of anxiety is fear. The cure for fear is preparation, in the weight room and the film room, dating back to January post-bowl off season. Minkah Fitzpatrick spent more time in film study than the coaches, and I can’t picture him being anxious or afraid of Godzilla.

I’m not sure whether the OL can shoulder its part of the burden. Some on TF think the problem has been mis-evaluated talent. Others think it’s been the attitude of the coaching staff. I don’t know. Regardless of who thinks what, the OL will determine whether we turn the corner this year or next.

I’m looking forward to a change in mentality akin to the change between the 2007 Independence Bowl against Colorado and the 2008 Kickoff game against Clemson — where we were about a 9 point dog, and Made Them Quit. Then did it again a couple of weeks later in UGA’s Blackout.

In the second half, both Clemson and UGA were turning down hits.

I don’t know if that’ll happen or not. It’s the goal.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
That would be nice!

I don't think this is a function of the defensive coordinator.
Late in the game when you play off the receiver 15-20 yards to contain... (I didn't make it plain enough)
I know our OC has took their foot off the pedal and teams either come back or nearly come back. I don't like that.
I don't care if the #3 QB is in... If he has a chance to score, he needs the experience, and we need the safety net.
Now days the members of the selection committee are still looking at the numbers. Now do yall understand that I was talking broadly...

Reactions: Padreruf

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I hope Coach Steele will coach from the sideline. I want him there to make instant corrections, or reinforce players for a good play.
Others may disagree, but I think you lose touch when you aren't on the field.

Reactions: Toddrn

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
IMO, Anderson's "concern" was more of a reflection of the softness that has descended upon the program the last few years. IMO, that is on the coaches, especially the head coach. It was more damaging than whatever lack was displayed by both coordinators combined. CNS appears to be addressing it with what will likely be a more physical brand of football - less cerebral on the D side, thus more decisive, and more physical running on O. Physical, mental and psychological toughness need to reemerge or the run is over, IMO.
Oughtn't speak ill of the dead, but with the "departed," it's always open season.

Gullwing as DC was Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and his defensive consigliere/aide de camp ToTo Not in Kansas Anymore - nor the vicinity of making a play - both the embodiment of things gone wrong and gone soft as, you know, whale (stuff) for 'Bama's defense.

All-American DL pal turned criminal investigator (and Tide zealot) said he could see into To'o To'o's eyes game after game he was a coach on the field getting 'Bama's D in position for making a play - his reads were invariably perfect.

Problem was, as a coach on the field, he was addition by subtraction for the 'Bama D - the "catcher" instead of converging on the ball for contact - and all too often whiffing in the passive-aggressive flag football defense deployed by Gol*ing.

OK, so maybe that was in sync with Saban's thinking for a couple years over MTAQ balling, but let's be grateful for the undearly departed. To my way of seeing things, the coach on the field and the coach staring at the grass in front of him as if he had a Les Miles' fetish (and who did an abysmal developmental job with LBs over his entire tenure in T-town) made it as if 'Bama's D was playing shorthanded and two if not three players down in every game - and that ain't even counting the vaunted 1-4-6....

Last edited:

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Pros and cons of both approaches to me. I have always thought you need as many trained eyes as possible from the press box to see what is actually going on at each of your opponent’s positions. There is just too much going on with each play to see how opposing players react from an on field view. Film study is one thing , but that was against someone else’s team. Real time info can’t be beat.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Personally I think a lot of the criticism on Pete was misplaced; modern offenses have gotten so good and rule changes and officiating have tilted so heavily towards offense that it’s nearly impossible to stop a high powered offense these days without said offense short-circuiting itself.
Then how do you explain Georgia?

Now I AGREE with you if what you're saying is, "We're not going to see defenses like 1991 Miami and Washington or 1992 and 2011 Alabama that hold offenses to less than 10 ppg." I can acknowledge the focus on offense and "people want to see touchdowns" is correct.

But that doesn't justify Tennessee or the second-half of the LSU game.
And those weren't the only kerfluffles with 80 Proof calling defensive schemes.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Then how do you explain Georgia?

Now I AGREE with you if what you're saying is, "We're not going to see defenses like 1991 Miami and Washington or 1992 and 2011 Alabama that hold offenses to less than 10 ppg." I can acknowledge the focus on offense and "people want to see touchdowns" is correct.

But that doesn't justify Tennessee or the second-half of the LSU game.
And those weren't the only kerfluffles with 80 Proof calling defensive schemes.
The same things that won always win. Sound fundamentals, not missing assignments, awareness, toughness, and attitude.

Your DL have to be maulers....the LBs have to hit their assignments with attitude and the DBs have to be sound and mean.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The same things that won always win. Sound fundamentals, not missing assignments, awareness, toughness, and attitude.

Your DL have to be maulers....the LBs have to hit their assignments with attitude and the DBs have to be sound and mean.
And - key point here - not make stupid penalties.

The one thing I'll say is the NCAA needs to actually SPELL OUT what DPI is.
It's ludicrous.

I can watch Alabama games and when we breathe on the guy, it's a penalty while another team can absolutely mug the opposing receiver and it's somehow good defense. I have NO PROBLEM with the penalty - just call it consistently.

It's ludicrous.

I can watch Alabama games and when we breathe on the guy, it's a penalty while another team can absolutely mug the opposing receiver and it's somehow good defense. I have NO PROBLEM with the penalty - just call it consistently.
The NFL isn't any better. It's a judgment call and it often just depends on what angle the ref is at in relation to the play.

My general frustration with the game, at both the college and pro level, is just how much the referees play into it. They're human an it's a hard job, having to make constant high-stakes decisions under pressure. But on just about every play, you have to hold your breath to see if there's a penalty. If your team makes a big play, you're worried it's going to be called back. If the other team makes a big play, you're hoping a flag will save you.

While I support the move toward player safety, there are just too many rules, most of which are judgment calls. Offensive holding shouldn't even be a thing; we want to protect quarterbacks, right? And I absolutely hate the various ticky-tack calls on punt and kick returns that inevitably take the wind out of some of the most exciting plays in the game.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019

It's ludicrous.

There is a referee issue throughout college sports. Most under scrutiny obviously are football and basketball.

I think the basketball refs are stretched thin, I think they require them driving them all over the place doing multiple games per week. Is there a shortage of refs? I'd say there likely is.

What's the training schedule for these guys? It needs to be changed because things are getting worse across the board in multiple sports. But who is going to step up, it sure won't be the NCAA. The SEC brass need to step up and set the standard...get the ball rolling.

The NFL....I don't watch enough to know other than that monstrosity of an AFC championship game where the refs were front and center. The best umps and refs are the ones you never know are there.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
We will see. I think that is what everybody is saying. Most of us saw this period as a chance to "rebuild the deck" without comparison to what Golding did or did not do. Especially considering talent level currently on roster. I am somewhere in the middle I guess. Hopeful. Slightly disappointed. Realizing that Steele is a football coach, but not sure he is the man. Lots of other thoughts including CNS is a great CEO. Yet I had hoped for the buzz that is missing right now....but then....ANYBODY CNS had hired would have generated similar conversations...because everyone here is focused right now on Georgia domination. Can't deny this. We are just not used to that. So Let's see how this works out. I say.....AFTER Spring game....and season closes in....we will all feel better. I will. Let this play out. We aren't stuck. So...go get em Coach Steele. Fix that DL....coach up the LBs....coach up that 2ndry. Communication....communication. and have fun. Roll Tide boys. Go Bama!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know the idea of instant replay with goal-line cameras and multiple camera angles has the goal of getting it "right" but it has really changed the flow of the game. We gripe about the length of the college game and replay has probably added a good 10 minutes to the average game.

Replay either confirms they got the call right (which we'd say is their job) OR it shows how wrong they were (which is why we say they are incompetent). They are almost in a no-win situation.

I know we'll never go back, but sometimes I just long for the old days of calling it on the field. Sure, they got it wrong sometimes, but the game went on and we were all happier.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't think defensively we are losing on technical issues. I think we are losing because we aren't tough enough in the front 7 and because in the games biggest moments we seemingly freeze up instead of rising to the occasion. If Steele who witnessed a time when this was not true, can restore that to our program, he has an opportunity to end his career on top with some rings. He always seemed in the past to be focused on his next job. I feel if he sees this for what it is, an opportunity for his finest hours as a coach, he can accomplish what we need before he hands it off to a younger coach.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There is a referee issue throughout college sports. Most under scrutiny obviously are football and basketball.

I think the basketball refs are stretched thin, I think they require them driving them all over the place doing multiple games per week. Is there a shortage of refs? I'd say there likely is.

What's the training schedule for these guys? It needs to be changed because things are getting worse across the board in multiple sports. But who is going to step up, it sure won't be the NCAA. The SEC brass need to step up and set the standard...get the ball rolling.

The NFL....I don't watch enough to know other than that monstrosity of an AFC championship game where the refs were front and center. The best umps and refs are the ones you never know are there.
Are the officials REALLY worse than ever?

Or do we just have more camera angles that show stuff you didn't see 40 years ago?

I'm not talking about known cases like Tim Donaghy.

I'll note this, though: with the legalizing and social acceptance of gambling...the notion of a fixed World Series (like 1919) is far-fetched today simply because the players make so much money that it would be VERY difficult to raise the money necessary to fix the outcome as far as the PLAYERS are concerned.

But you'd only need maybe two officials in a football game, the home plate umpire in a baseball game, and one ref in the NBA.

There are far more games that give the feel of being fixed than I've ever seen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.