BREAKING Kevin Steele hired as DC

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Are the officials REALLY worse than ever?

Or do we just have more camera angles that show stuff you didn't see 40 years ago?

I'm not talking about known cases like Tim Donaghy.

I'll note this, though: with the legalizing and social acceptance of gambling...the notion of a fixed World Series (like 1919) is far-fetched today simply because the players make so much money that it would be VERY difficult to raise the money necessary to fix the outcome as far as the PLAYERS are concerned.

But you'd only need maybe two officials in a football game, the home plate umpire in a baseball game, and one ref in the NBA.

There are far more games that give the feel of being fixed than I've ever seen.
Speaking from experience, the issue with problem/pathologic/compulsive gambling among those associated with the sports world is far more pervasive than most of us would believe. The gaming industry will state that issues with "problem gambling" is less than 2% of those that gamble. In reality, it is probably closer to 5% (interestingly the most rapidly growing segment is 18-30 y/o with more and more women developing compulsive tendencies). And the number of coaches, refs, and players having pathologic gambling issues far exceeds that of the general population.

The worst thing a problem gambler can be is "ultra competitive". And that goes had in hand with working/ being associated "with the games".

No, I don't see a big conspiracy on "rigged" games across the sporting world. But the opportunity for those involved in both "gambling and the game" are certainly there.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think defensively we are losing on technical issues. I think we are losing because we aren't tough enough in the front 7 and because in the games biggest moments we seemingly freeze up instead of rising to the occasion. If Steele who witnessed a time when this was not true, can restore that to our program, he has an opportunity to end his career on top with some rings. He always seemed in the past to be focused on his next job. I feel if he sees this for what it is, an opportunity for his finest hours as a coach, he can accomplish what we need before he hands it off to a younger coach.
Completely agree and I'll add bad defensive playcalling in the most crucial parts of games as well.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Paraphrasing CNS “Practice isn’t about doing it right. It is about doing it enough that you don’t get it wrong”. In other words, football is a read and react game. Instinct takes over. If you need to read, then think, then react, you are the “lost ball in high weeds”.
So often in the Gol*ing era it seemed as though our defenses didn’t play instinctively, particularly PG’s own group - the LB’s. This, along with simply being more physical is what I want Steele, Armstrong and the rest to bring back to our defense.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Paraphrasing CNS “Practice isn’t about doing it right. It is about doing it enough that you don’t get it wrong”. In other words, football is a read and react game. Instinct takes over. If you need to read, then think, then react, you are the “lost ball in high weeds”.
So often in the Gol*ing era it seemed as though our defensive didn’t play instinctively, particularly PG’s own group - the LB’s. This, along with simply being more physical is what I want Steele, Armstrong and the rest to bring back to our defense.
Which is why it's no accident Steele is known for great LB play/coaching!

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
So often in the Gol*ing era it seemed as though our defenses didn’t play instinctively, particularly PG’s own group - the LB’s. This, along with simply being more physical is what I want Steele, Armstrong and the rest to bring back to our defense.
Branch and Harrison played a lot more reactive than the LB’s and were much more physical this past season.

Reactions: CB4

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Then how do you explain Georgia?

Now I AGREE with you if what you're saying is, "We're not going to see defenses like 1991 Miami and Washington or 1992 and 2011 Alabama that hold offenses to less than 10 ppg." I can acknowledge the focus on offense and "people want to see touchdowns" is correct.

But that doesn't justify Tennessee or the second-half of the LSU game.
And those weren't the only kerfluffles with 80 Proof calling defensive schemes.
Sure - I agree that a return to ‘92 on defense is not imminent. The modern game has changed too much. And I agree that the UT and second half LSU performances were objectively terrible.

That said - Georgia hasn’t just steamrolled the opposition on defense every game for the last two years. Ohio State put up a ton of yards and points against them in the playoff, and LSU hung a bunch of yards and points on them in the SEC title game as well. Heck, we whipped them on offense in the 2021 SEC title game.

To me, the biggest difference between us and UGA this last season was offensive efficiency. We ranked 24th and 25th respectively in total first downs and 3rd down conversion rate; UGA ranked 1st and 4th in those two categories. Georgia was better at moving the chains and not routinely asking too much of their defense. Which is why I’ll still contend that the OC hire was much more important. Our offensive output was terrific this year, but those two efficiency metrics tell the tale. We run the ball more effectively and convert a few more first downs in key spots and we are probably undefeated in the 2022 regular season.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I know the idea of instant replay with goal-line cameras and multiple camera angles has the goal of getting it "right" but it has really changed the flow of the game. We gripe about the length of the college game and replay has probably added a good 10 minutes to the average game.

Replay either confirms they got the call right (which we'd say is their job) OR it shows how wrong they were (which is why we say they are incompetent). They are almost in a no-win situation.

I know we'll never go back, but sometimes I just long for the old days of calling it on the field. Sure, they got it wrong sometimes, but the game went on and we were all happier.
I've heard a number of times that Coach Bryant and Coach Jordan were reputed to have once told the refs...
'Keep your hankies in your pocket today boys'
I don't know if that's true or not, but one of the players told me it happened. I'd like to think it did.

Reactions: TexasBama and CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I've heard a number of times that Coach Bryant and Coach Jordan were reputed to have once told the refs...
I don't know if that's true or not, but one of the players told me it happened. I'd like to think it did.
I think you have to take into consideration how much things have changed in terms of rules since the days of Jordan and Bryant. Dan, I think you and I are pretty close in age. Holding, PI etc when we played years ago were much more clearly delineated and less judgement calls (remember the “good old days” where you could do most anything to an eligible receiver before the ball was in the air and you were taught as a lineman not to extend your arms or “you’d get called for holding”?😉)
In those days it seemed in the course of a game you would hav a few penalties that were debatable. Today it seems seems almost every call (or non call) is debatable based on judgement.
Of course comparing me as high school player to high school players today would be ludicrous. Athletically, I couldn’t be third string team manager on most high school teams today.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Wondering if we will see any other changes on the defensive side of the ball? Steele I assume would take LBs in addition to DC responsibilities. Austin Armstrong replacing Kelly coaching safeties? Anyone see anything else on the horizon?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wondering if we will see any other changes on the defensive side of the ball? Steele I assume would take LBs in addition to DC responsibilities. Austin Armstrong replacing Kelly coaching safeties? Anyone see anything else on the horizon?
no. Armstong is coaching the LB. Steele could coach Safeties. I think there's two positions left that will be taken care of soon.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I remember Bear commenting about officiating during a replay of the highlights of a game. There was one official he zeroed in on. He said, I guarantee you that gentleman will not officiate anymore of our games.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

CB72

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2022
Lewis Smith Lake
I was talking with a co-worker the other day about Strong. He was a very hot commodity as a DC for a while. Then he stumbled as a HC and kind of dropped out of sight. I'd like to see him back at the Capstone.

He was here and we let him get away.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
He was here and we let him get away.
He was here as an analyst in 2020. He took the LB coaching job with Jags in 2021 and then moved as co-dc with Steele at Miami. No reason he can’t come back in some capacity here.
Matter of fact someone already having fun with his Wiki page.
1E405852-39AD-4CC8-B79F-A6DC069262E4.png

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza

bamadws56

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2005
Fort Benning, GA
He was here as an analyst in 2020. He took the LB coaching job with Jags in 2021 and then moved as co-dc with Steele at Miami. No reason he can’t come back in some capacity here.
Matter of fact someone already having fun with his Wiki page.
View attachment 32109
How many different linebacker coaches do we need??? At some point we need to hire someone (other than CNS) who can coach defensive backs!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.