Kiffin on getting a punter from a frat house

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I have often thought there were at least a dozen guys on campus that kicked off in HS that would be better than what Bama was sending out there.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Had a friend who’s son was a punter at an SEC school not many years ago. How did he become a punter?

In high school as a sophomore he was a back up QB. His job at the end of practice was to gather up all the footballs. Practice ended at the far end of the field and the ball bag was was at the other end. So he just started picking up the balls and “punting” towards the ball bag 50-60 yards away.

No one was paying attention except one assistant coach, by this point his jaw on the ground in amazement. He looked at the kid and said “why did you tell me you could punt like?” The boy responded “I was told I was playing QB. No one asked me about punting….”

Sometimes guess you just have to ask…..

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
In the 8th grade I told a coach that I could kick better than the extra pt. guy. (I was in the band) The next day after band practice The coach drug me on the field to try an extra point. The pressure was on and I sailed it thru the middle. Then they had me try a field goal from the 25. I was 1 for 1. I tried from the 30, but I was only 1-5.
Our team didn't score very much, but I was 3-5.
I spent a little time with Rex Keeling and I got better. Not great but better. (Rex was a pretty good kicking coach)
I was doing pretty well then I got suspended. (Fighting)
I transferred to ESHS, and played in the band.
Back then you never got suspended at ESHS.

Reactions: Con and Padreruf

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.