Kiffin to Ole Miss. Wow!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
He should have gone to FSU. I think at FSU, given a little recruiting time, he could have competed with Dabo and made the ACC more than the 1 team conference it is today.
I think Colorado State might have been the better place for him as long as the money was there. I just don't see any way in the world he has much success in the SEC West. The only "West" he belongs in is the Left Coast in my opinion.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If you are not going to tell us, you can stop teasing. It is just not fair.
"Fair" has nothing to do with it. If you want to do the work, you can dig around and come up with it. It was basically dereliction of duty, but that should be obvious from the step Saban was forced to take...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think Colorado State might have been the better place for him as long as the money was there. I just don't see any way in the world he has much success in the SEC West. The only "West" he belongs in is the Left Coast in my opinion.
I'm not sure FSU was interested in him. But, I agree on CO St. IDK how the money with Ole Miss compared, but that would be a much easier berth than Ole Miss in this murderous division...

Reactions: CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm not sure FSU was interested in him. But, I agree on CO St. IDK how the money with Ole Miss compared, but that would be a much easier berth than Ole Miss in this murderous division...
Could be that he was either board or reached his ceiling in Florida and needed to make a move to capitalize on his success there before it went south. Not to say he makes the best decisions, as we all know that is not the case, but he could have a decent year in Oxford and catch the eye of a UCLA type program desperate to finally get back to winning that hires him away after one year like USC did when he was at UT. Not sure he can catch lightning in a bottle twice though.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Could be that he was either board or reached his ceiling in Florida and needed to make a move to capitalize on his success there before it went south. Not to say he makes the best decisions, as we all know that is not the case, but he could have a decent year in Oxford and catch the eye of a UCLA type program desperate to finally get back to winning that hires him away after one year like USC did when he was at UT. Not sure he can catch lightning in a bottle twice though.
All he has to do is have Ole Miss positioned at #2 or #3 in the West when Saban retires, and the Rebs write him a blank check on his next contract, if he's still there.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The problem is that he always is a recruiting boom wherever he goes. So its entirely possible that he gets a lot of great recruits that can make an 8-4 to 9-3 season possible. I think he is going to better than what most think here. I wont be surprised if they are a 7 win team next year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The problem is that he always is a recruiting boom wherever he goes. So its entirely possible that he gets a lot of great recruits that can make an 8-4 to 9-3 season possible. I think he is going to better than what most think here. I wont be surprised if they are a 7 win team next year.
I do too. I also do not rule out recruiting shinanagins. Never trusted him much while he was here, and I surely don't now that he has the backing of the land shark bear rebels.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I do too. I also do not rule out recruiting shinanagins. Never trusted him much while he was here, and I surely don't now that he has the backing of the land shark bear rebels.
Two things: 1) Moorehead isn't Mullen so I doubt he knows how to sell dirt like Cousin Eddie did and 2) I doubt Kiffin is as dumb as Freeze was about it. I think Kiffin atleast realizes that a team like Ole Miss is going to be really looked at when 3 Top 20 recruits go from no interest in a B level school to committing to them the night before signing day.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Correct. The report from the FSU Admin after the Norvell hire was that there were interviews with Coaches (Not named Kiffin) and one offer to Norvell.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I am not sure I would go to UCLA if I did well at Ole Miss. I think if you can rehab ole miss after the year they had this past year, and you have confidence in your ability to continue said success, then you hang out at Ole miss until Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, etc. Offers. Some people will argue that I am wrong. But tell me this: how good was Clemson before Swinney? I think they were like 3rd in their division. Now they are playoffs or bust every year. If you have a good thing going you do not leave.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Two things: 1) Moorehead isn't Mullen so I doubt he knows how to sell dirt like Cousin Eddie did and 2) I doubt Kiffin is as dumb as Freeze was about it. I think Kiffin atleast realizes that a team like Ole Miss is going to be really looked at when 3 Top 20 recruits go from no interest in a B level school to committing to them the night before signing day.
Either way, I believe you are correct about the success level. He's going to make a really difficult division even more difficult again, like it was when Cousin Eddy and the Right Reverend Freeze were roaming the Mississippi sidelines.

It's funny. That stunt the Ole Miss WR pulled, which lost the game and essentially allowed Moorehead to remain at MSU and caused Ole Miss to fire Luke, probably turns out better for Ole Miss in the long run.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Either way, I believe you are correct about the success level. He's going to make a really difficult division even more difficult again, like it was when Cousin Eddy and the Right Reverend Freeze were roaming the Mississippi sidelines.

It's funny. That stunt the Ole Miss WR pulled, which lost the game and essentially allowed Moorehead to remain at MSU and caused Ole Miss to fire Luke, probably turns out better for Ole Miss in the long run.
Not if Greg Sanky has anything to say about it.

Quote -
Greg Sankey on Lane Kiffin being back in the SEC: “We have high expectations for our leaders. I’ve reiterated those as I would for any new coach.” #SBJIAF
— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) December 11, 2019

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.